GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 04:39 PM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

So, my ‘13 GS350 F-Sport started to develop the dreaded moonroof rattle. After searching the forum I found the TSB related to the issue, and several posts about just replacing the seal. The seal was just $50 all in, so I ordered one and replaced it myself.

It was a really easy job. Only 30 minutes start to finish. I’ve seen videos where the whole glass panel was removed to change the seal. Then the whole tedious process to realigning and adjusting it. I didn’t go that route.

I only removed the 2 screws on the front corners of the panel and carefully tilted the front edge up to gain full access to the seal. I used the leather case from my multi tool to prop the front edge of the panel up while I worked on the seal. Removed and replaced the seal, dropped the panel back down, a simple adjustment to the front edge height, and done! The moonroof no longer rattles, clunks or ticks over every little imperfection in the road.

Dont mind the dirt. I figured if I’m going to put finger prints all over the roof, it’s better to do it before a car wash.

Last edited by uibalnme; 11-05-17 at 04:52 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by uibalnme:
2GR (12-10-18), and3re (04-15-23), greys0uled (08-26-22), Im2bz2p345 (04-05-20), Kengs350f (07-27-19), NdYAG (11-03-19), phanotos (09-17-18), phins2rt (11-05-17), Renarello (01-23-19), rj4510 (05-28-18), TheWizard (10-20-19) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

11-13-17, 05:19 PM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

For added color and detail, see the following pics. First raise up the sunroof which exposes the accordian cover.

you can pull the accordian cover from the bottom or the top. i chose the bottom for ease. this then allows for access to the front torx bolt.
this is the exposed torx screw. this is the same screw that you will have to readjust after putting the torx screw back in. i had to readjust these screws a couple times on each side to reposition the sunroof front height.

I started from a corner pick one. you will notice a green dot that is on all 4 corners once the seal is removed.

make note that there is a small indentation on the rear middle portion of the seal to help you align the seal properly instead of placing it on the front portion of the sunroof.To install the trim you will have fiddle with it to push it over the glass. once you have done a small portion the rest will go on readily. just be aware that the screws will need to be adjusted once you put the screws back in. not sure how the original poster avoided this step. it definitely beats doing the rears also. in total it took about 35-40 min total including front screw adjusting.

kudos to the original poster here and in the old thread. my clunking is now gone for 50 bucks.
Old 11-05-17, 05:08 PM
rothak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this seal an upgraded version or anything?
Old 11-05-17, 06:13 PM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rothak
is this seal an upgraded version or anything?
I believe it is an upgraded seal.

PN: 63251-30100
The following 5 users liked this post by uibalnme:
2GR (12-10-18), greys0uled (08-26-22), Im2bz2p345 (04-05-20), NdYAG (10-31-20), rothak (11-05-17)
Old 11-06-17, 04:58 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

That is really smart and so much easier than taking it all off. Do you have a link to the seal you bought?
Old 11-06-17, 05:11 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Great post, thanks!
I had this problem on my CPO vehicle and Lexus replaced the cables, though I still get some slight rattling once in a while. I am guessing they didnt replace the seal and id much rather go this route than having them drop the headliner once again...

Originally Posted by uibalnme
So, my ‘13 GS350 F-Sport started to develop the dreaded moonroof rattle. After searching the forum I found the TSB related to the issue, and several posts about just replacing the seal. The seal was just $50 all in, so I ordered one and replaced it myself.

It was a really easy job. Only 30 minutes start to finish. I’ve seen videos where the whole glass panel was removed to change the seal. Then the whole tedious process to realigning and adjusting it. I didn’t go that route.

I only removed the 2 screws on the front corners of the panel and carefully tilted the front edge up to gain full access to the seal. I used the leather case from my multi tool to prop the front edge of the panel up while I worked on the seal. Removed and replaced the seal, dropped the panel back down, a simple adjustment to the front edge height, and done! The moonroof no longer rattles, clunks or ticks over every little imperfection in the road.

Dont mind the dirt. I figured if I’m going to put finger prints all over the roof, it’s better to do it before a car wash.

The following users liked this post:
2GR (12-10-18)
Old 11-06-17, 06:55 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe this to be the part for the moonroof https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/oem-...PWxheWVyXzI%3D I just ordered mine. $46 shipped to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by OneFunGS:
2GR (12-10-18), spineman (12-28-21)
Old 11-06-17, 09:33 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the tips! I want to do this on my 2013 as well.
Old 11-06-17, 09:37 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Removing only the two front screw is genius lol. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 11-06-17, 01:59 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Great post! Still need to do this, and now it will be even easier!
Old 11-06-17, 02:59 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I had a rattle in my sun roof from the first week after I bought my RC-F I wonder if it was the same as posted here.

I finally had enough and had the dealership fix it, they replaced the entire sunroof assembly, so I have no idea if it was just the seal or if it was something different.. mine rattled when opened or closed, it groaned when it opened (sounded like the seal sticking to the car body) and the sunroof seemed to vibrate at highway speeds when it was fully opened (RC-F roof slides open to the outside of the vehicle)
Old 11-06-17, 03:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I had a rattle in my sun roof from the first week after I bought my RC-F I wonder if it was the same as posted here.

I finally had enough and had the dealership fix it, they replaced the entire sunroof assembly, so I have no idea if it was just the seal or if it was something different.. mine rattled when opened or closed, it groaned when it opened (sounded like the seal sticking to the car body) and the sunroof seemed to vibrate at highway speeds when it was fully opened (RC-F roof slides open to the outside of the vehicle)
The following users liked this post:
and3re (07-30-23)
Old 11-06-17, 04:26 PM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

This should be a stickie for sure. Make it happen.
Old 11-06-17, 05:36 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by protocol71
This should be a stickie for sure. Make it happen.
Well...plus combine it with the original thread that this one was inspired by.
Original thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-for-free.html
Old 11-13-17, 05:19 PM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

For added color and detail, see the following pics. First raise up the sunroof which exposes the accordian cover.

you can pull the accordian cover from the bottom or the top. i chose the bottom for ease. this then allows for access to the front torx bolt.
this is the exposed torx screw. this is the same screw that you will have to readjust after putting the torx screw back in. i had to readjust these screws a couple times on each side to reposition the sunroof front height.

I started from a corner pick one. you will notice a green dot that is on all 4 corners once the seal is removed.

make note that there is a small indentation on the rear middle portion of the seal to help you align the seal properly instead of placing it on the front portion of the sunroof.To install the trim you will have fiddle with it to push it over the glass. once you have done a small portion the rest will go on readily. just be aware that the screws will need to be adjusted once you put the screws back in. not sure how the original poster avoided this step. it definitely beats doing the rears also. in total it took about 35-40 min total including front screw adjusting.

kudos to the original poster here and in the old thread. my clunking is now gone for 50 bucks.

Last edited by protocol71; 11-13-17 at 10:29 PM. Reason: props
The following 11 users liked this post by protocol71:
2GR (12-10-18), 4GS350 (01-29-23), and3re (06-12-23), F4FSTDOLLA (12-14-21), greys0uled (09-16-22), Im2bz2p345 (04-11-20), jonathancl (12-21-17), mrsteve7 (10-20-19), NdYAG (11-03-19), phanotos (09-17-18), TheWizard (10-20-19) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-13-17, 11:00 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The original poster doesn't have that middle indentation rear sticking up, are you sure, it's supposed to install that way with the indentation exposed?

Originally Posted by protocol71

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!