RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front metal clanking noise going over bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 02:37 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front metal clanking noise going over bumps.

Frequently I notice that my car makes a metal to metal clanking noise going over bumpy roads.. which I believe is coming from the front passenger side but possibly both sides in the front... Is this an indication of bad struts or the strut mounts? I've done the press down test and really does not seem very bad.. little to no bouncing and if I turn the radio up and just tune the noise out the car drives fine, the noise itself is the troublesome part. The dust boots are chewed away so I can see shiny chrome struts, not sure if that makes a huge difference. Also the steering seems very stiff.. I have always been a one handed driver and this car has me using two hands at times (I have a v8 mercedes sedan rwd which is really my only car I can compare this to driving wise and that is much easier to steer), I am not sure if this is just simply how the fwd version of this vehicle drives or if this is suspension or power steering related.. if it was power steering would I see a light on the dash? Most of these fluids were flushed recently so everything is topped off and the fluid looks clean.. also no leaks.
Old 10-23-17, 03:44 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Have a suspension shop examine the front end.

Salim
Old 10-23-17, 03:45 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Have a suspension shop examine the front end.

Salim
I booked an appointment.. I know you suggested this to me before just haven't had the time. Was wondering if anyone had similar experience with this though.
Old 10-23-17, 08:31 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by CaltonB
I booked an appointment.. I know you suggested this to me before just haven't had the time. Was wondering if anyone had similar experience with this though.
There are so many reason why one gets metal to metal impact noise.
One needs long levers and lift [lift with option to load and unload suspension], so it is best to take it to a shop. Pay them for diagnosis [typically they do the suspension checkup for free, in hope to get business].

In my case, my lower control arms were shot. Is that your problem? Maybe!

Salim
Old 10-25-17, 08:17 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

There are so many reason why one gets metal to metal impact noise.
One needs long levers and lift [lift with option to load and unload suspension], so it is best to take it to a shop. Pay them for diagnosis [typically they do the suspension checkup for free, in hope to get business].

In my case, my lower control arms were shot. Is that your problem? Maybe!

Salim
Well got my evaluation and seems to be the struts all around... (probably the mounts making the noise). I kind of knew this in the back of my head just didn't want it to be. I know this topic has been beaten to death on here but have quick struts gotten any better for this car? I've read old posts saying they don't exist to more recent ones with one person having good experience with them. FCS seems to be the only brand that makes them... for under 400 dollars and a saturday I wouldn't mind doing this myself. But could they possibly be worse then worn factory struts?
Old 10-25-17, 10:09 PM
salimshah

When folks replace worn suspension with new suspension, they notice the abrupt change [hopefully for the better]. Then there is a long curve down to worn suspension and the change is not observable day to day.

Folks who replaced them, surely are noticing the difference, but I would really wait for a long term evaluation.

KYBs typically are OEM supplier for Lexus.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
CaltonB (10-31-17)
Old 10-26-17, 05:01 AM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the noise but also an almost random pulling to one side or another action. It is especially apparent on acceleration. Did you have any of that?
Old 10-26-17, 06:39 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If it is front wheel drive the pull to one side is prevalent because of the torque to the drive shafts is different on each side a little because one shaft is longer than the other under hard acceleration. just the nature of front wheel drive vehicles.
Old 10-27-17, 06:52 AM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it is fwd but the problem just appeared a few months ago. I was thinking I did not tiighten up the power steering belt enough when I replaced it, but I'm not sure if pulling could be a logical result if that. So maybe bad struts?
Old 10-27-17, 07:19 AM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Puttster
Yes it is fwd but the problem just appeared a few months ago. I was thinking I did not tiighten up the power steering belt enough when I replaced it, but I'm not sure if pulling could be a logical result if that. So maybe bad struts?
I did have some play in the steering and some strange steering at times but not really any pulling though but it could be suspension related for you as we both have fwd cars. I thought my issue may have been power steering related but they assured me it was the shocks.

Last edited by CaltonB; 10-27-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 07:22 AM
CaltonB
Rookie

When folks replace worn suspension with new suspension, they notice the abrupt change [hopefully for the better]. Then there is a long curve down to worn suspension and the change is not observable day to day.

Folks who replaced them, surely are noticing the difference, but I would really wait for a long term evaluation.

KYBs typically are OEM supplier for Lexus.

Salim
Thanks I looked up just some kyb struts and they aren't too much more then getting the quick struts. I was mainly attracted to how easy the quick struts installation looked (i've never changed spring struts before). Is the spring removal a very difficult task?
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (10-27-17)
Old 10-27-17, 08:52 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by CaltonB
Thanks I looked up just some kyb struts and they aren't too much more then getting the quick struts. I was mainly attracted to how easy the quick struts installation looked (i've never changed spring struts before). Is the spring removal a very difficult task?
Not sure where I posted the procedure .. most likely in SC400 forum [SC folks do lot more wrenching so please read there too... the process is the same/similar]
Personally, I lack the data on how good/bad the quick struts are. You will have to make the pick. You need spring compressors [can be loaned from auto part stores]. Understand the risk of compressing the springs. Folks use power tools against the safety with very little concern.

If you decide to do the work yourself .. understand the procedure .. some fasteners have to be loosened before you lift the vehicle and most have to be torqued with the wheels on the ground [suspension loaded].

The good thing that RX is high enough from ground.

Salim
Old 10-27-17, 06:33 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

There was a post on this forum a month-or-so ago about quickstruts. The poster was quite positive, if I recall. Do a search and see if you can find it.
Old 10-28-17, 12:02 AM
CaltonB
Rookie

Not sure where I posted the procedure .. most likely in SC400 forum [SC folks do lot more wrenching so please read there too... the process is the same/similar]
Personally, I lack the data on how good/bad the quick struts are. You will have to make the pick. You need spring compressors [can be loaned from auto part stores]. Understand the risk of compressing the springs. Folks use power tools against the safety with very little concern.

If you decide to do the work yourself .. understand the procedure .. some fasteners have to be loosened before you lift the vehicle and most have to be torqued with the wheels on the ground [suspension loaded].

The good thing that RX is high enough from ground.

Salim
Thanks for the info. I read the sticky posted by lexmex on here for changing the spring doesn't look too bad i believe I can tackle this with some patience. I've done suspension work on my cls which has little to no ground clearance so this won't be my first rodeo. But I agree with you safety is key with these high pressure parts. I mainly use ratcheting tools for this type of work is... I don't own an airgun and would probably only use my powertools to remove the lugs and probably the swaybar links.

Originally Posted by sktn77a
There was a post on this forum a month-or-so ago about quickstruts. The poster was quite positive, if I recall. Do a search and see if you can find it.
I believe I know which post you are talking about as I commented on it as well, it sounds like this user recently put these on but that is what inspired me to look into the quick strut route.
Old 10-28-17, 08:42 AM
salimshah

Forgot to mention the most common mistake even done by pros ,,,,
Decapitating wheel rotation sensor. Just remove it and keep it out of the way.

Salim

Quick Reply: Front metal clanking noise going over bumps.