IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LEDs in stock halogen headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-17, 08:43 PM
skippiGoat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs in stock halogen headlights

Hey guys. I recently bought a 2006 is350. Great car I love it so far. I have the stock projector halogen headlights. I've had HIDs in the past on previous cars and I have always wanted to try out some LEDs. However, since most (if not all) aftermarket LEDs have a built-in fan on the end of the bulb housing, I'm curious if these will fit in the stock headlights. Specifically, the low beams. Does anyone have this type of set up, or have tried it? What are your thoughts?
Old 10-23-17, 07:53 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 767 Likes on 670 Posts

Look at the Xenondepot.com versions. They are less bulky. I've been debating to upgrade myself to LED too. Though my HID kits from them are still going strong with no issues.
Old 10-23-17, 01:58 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-Xtreme...ed-h11-pro.htm
Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Look at the Xenondepot.com versions. They are less bulky. I've been debating to upgrade myself to LED too. Though my HID kits from them are still going strong with no issues.
Thanks for the plug!

Originally Posted by skippiGoat
Hey guys. I recently bought a 2006 is350. Great car I love it so far. I have the stock projector halogen headlights. I've had HIDs in the past on previous cars and I have always wanted to try out some LEDs. However, since most (if not all) aftermarket LEDs have a built-in fan on the end of the bulb housing, I'm curious if these will fit in the stock headlights. Specifically, the low beams. Does anyone have this type of set up, or have tried it? What are your thoughts?
Your IS350 takes an H11 bulb for the Low Beams, so you would want to look at our H11 Xtreme LED PRO Kit. We have some information on the measurements available at that link, and these are a bit smaller on the bases than our previous generation of kits. We have a great Customer Review of the H11 kit in a 2017 ct200H - obviously not quite the same as what you're driving, but it will give you a bit of an idea of what you're looking at.

~Robert
Old 10-23-17, 04:25 PM
skippiGoat
Driver School Candidate

Oh excellent. Thanks to both of you.

EDIT: so, XenonDepot in you best estimate I can run these in the stock headlight housing? Also, since all my previous cars were much older (pre-2000s) I never had to worry about this, I need the CANbus option, right?

EDIT EDIT: i did a little research and it looks like I don't need the CANbus option, per this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-for-hid.html

Last edited by skippiGoat; 10-23-17 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 05:25 AM
antik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LED bulbs are utter garbage, stay away. It will be a HUGE downgrade

The only bulb that should go into a halogen housing is a halogen bulb. A H9 (2100lm) bulb can be easily modified to fit into a H11 (1350lm) socket, and this will give you a drastic 55% increase in output. This is what you should be doing for best output. All the info can be found here: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-halogen-bulbs

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. But please, do yourself, and all of us a favor by not putting anything but halogen into your halogen housings

Last edited by antik; 10-24-17 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-24-17, 07:30 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by skippiGoat
Oh excellent. Thanks to both of you.

EDIT: so, XenonDepot in you best estimate I can run these in the stock headlight housing? Also, since all my previous cars were much older (pre-2000s) I never had to worry about this, I need the CANbus option, right?

EDIT EDIT: i did a little research and it looks like I don't need the CANbus option, per this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-for-hid.html
Correct, no canbus is NOT required for the IS.

Here is a great picture of a 2008 Lexus IS250 with an H11 Volt HID Kit in 6000K installed:

And this one with a 5000K:

Danny
Old 10-24-17, 08:17 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 767 Likes on 670 Posts

Here's mine from a couple of weeks ago. Volt kits with 5k bulbs. H11, and 9006 fogs.

The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (10-24-17)
Old 10-24-17, 08:45 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Here's mine from a couple of weeks ago. Volt kits with 5k bulbs. H11, and 9006 fogs.
Thanks for sharing your results!

Danny
Old 10-24-17, 11:12 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

See this first before you spend money on cheap LED light bulbs that generally create awful, unusable beam pattern, oddly shaped hot spot and do nothing but blind everyone else on the road.

Last edited by primavera; 06-01-18 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 12:19 PM
skippiGoat
Driver School Candidate

Just to reemphasize, my car has projector headlights (stock ones) with a halogen bulb. I agree with you, I'm a firm believer in not putting HID/LED/anything except Halogen in reflector headlights. Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-24-17, 02:41 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Just me $0.02 but i've tried Headlight Revolution's recommendation of GTR Lighting 2nd Gen kit and it was a major downgrade compared even to my stock headlights or even the Spec D style lights. Which is why I've bought a pair of Morimoto Bi-LED projectors which I'll get retrofitted. This time I'm hoping for better results because they are LEDs but in a LED based projector. Now I've got a set of GTR LED bulbs just sitting here and I have yet to figure out what to do with them.
Old 10-24-17, 03:09 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
Just me $0.02 but i've tried Headlight Revolution's recommendation of GTR Lighting 2nd Gen kit and it was a major downgrade compared even to my stock headlights or even the Spec D style lights. Which is why I've bought a pair of Morimoto Bi-LED projectors which I'll get retrofitted. This time I'm hoping for better results because they are LEDs but in a LED based projector. Now I've got a set of GTR LED bulbs just sitting here and I have yet to figure out what to do with them.
definitely post pics of those Morimoto Bi-LED projectors when you’re finished with them! I’m really curious how they look. I’ve been trying to replicate them new color of OEM Lexus, Infiniti or mazda LED headlights but can find a way just yet that I’d be happy with
Old 10-24-17, 04:38 PM
skippiGoat
Driver School Candidate

So, I've only ever done HIDs in projectors. Are there multiple people thinking that LEDs in projectors are going to produce less output than halogens (H11) in projectors?
Old 10-24-17, 05:26 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Well you could try it yourself... headlight revolution has been pushing those GTR lighting gen 3 bulbs which are claimed to be close to HID but for $199 USD you'd prob to get a pretty good HID kit... or if you want to go for retrofitting Morimoto mini d2s 4.0s, you'd probably be happier.

Last edited by Aspect; 10-24-17 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 05:39 PM
antik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skippigoat: HID projectors and halogen projectors are very different to each other. You will still get a lot of glare and poor output from a HID or LED bulb in a halogen projector, as the optics are very different. The only viable upgrade for those halogen projectors is to swap out the H11 bulbs for H9 bulbs which as I said earlier, will give you roughly 50% better output, which will be a drastic improvement.

If you want to go down the HID route, the only proper way is to retrofit some HID projectors. I retrofitted my 2013 OEM DRL headlights with Morimoto Mini D2S (pic: https://i.imgur.com/hoKSJNu.jpg) which was a huge task, as the factory HID projectors are side feed, so I had to cut a hole in the back on the headlight housing. Your halogen projectors should be a much easier job to replace, and you could install some ACME H1 projectors for $25 (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...andard-h1.html) for a budget build.

May I ask, do you want to make the change for better output? Or purely for whiter light? Or both?

Quick Reply: LEDs in stock halogen headlights