GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

02 GS300 47000 miles one owner!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 07:27 PM
bighead222
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 GS300 47000 miles one owner!!

So the other day I was looking around and came across a 02 GS300 one owner 47000 miles!! For sale on Craig’s list in Miami if I had the money I would jump all over it some one please rescue her,it seems like a hell of a deal!!!https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto...351943867.html

Last edited by bighead222; 10-22-17 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-21-17, 08:43 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics? link??
Old 10-22-17, 08:53 AM
bighead222
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default added link

sorry yal i added to link to check it out
Old 10-22-17, 11:35 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Overpriced
Old 10-23-17, 08:26 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

to bad its not a 400/430 lol... Great find for a craigslist ad..
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-27-17)
Old 10-23-17, 02:13 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope someone who picks it up treats it good! This isn't overpriced at all..
Old 10-25-17, 03:30 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Luxurious
I hope someone who picks it up treats it good! This isn't overpriced at all..
it is overpriced. Who cares if it only has 48k miles. Mileage means nothing with these cars. Once you add the maintenance, suspension parts and timing belt change services, headlights replacement, you're close to $10k for a 16 year old car? That's stupid IMO.
Old 10-25-17, 04:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

For someone who wants this gen GS, id rather pay 8k for this one rather than 4-6 on all the rest of the ones on the market with more than twice the miles and in need of more work.

I never understood why people **** all over low mileage cars because in almost every case where I’ve looked at low mileage older cars, they are almost always in much better shape that higher mileage well taken care ones and have rarely ever needed as much as people suggest and for only a thousand or so more. But that is assuming that the low mileage car wasn’t thrashed. Now for me I’ve been mainly looking at older German cars, but in the few instances when it’s been a Lexus, it was much the same, so maybe I’ve just been lucky.
Old 10-25-17, 05:46 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
it is overpriced. Who cares if it only has 48k miles. Mileage means nothing with these cars. Once you add the maintenance, suspension parts and timing belt change services, headlights replacement, you're close to $10k for a 16 year old car? That's stupid IMO.
I want to know where u got the $10 k number? The dealership? And why r u changing all those part s? Maintenance you will have to do in any car. I changed my tb/wp at the recommended 90,000 miles when the car was 14 years. My suspension is still strong, nothing to change. Headlights? Really? BTW, my 2002 GS 430, with almost 102,000 miles, is still going strong, and I have spent a grand total of $226.87 in repairs!
Old 10-26-17, 04:37 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
I want to know where u got the $10 k number? The dealership? And why r u changing all those part s? Maintenance you will have to do in any car. I changed my tb/wp at the recommended 90,000 miles when the car was 14 years. My suspension is still strong, nothing to change. Headlights? Really? BTW, my 2002 GS 430, with almost 102,000 miles, is still going strong, and I have spent a grand total of $226.87 in repairs!
You're changing the parts due to age. Rubber deteriorates with age, common knowledge. TB/WP, cam and crank seals, pulleys, VVTI seals will run you at least $1k unless you have a hookup. Rubber suspension parts should be replaced. As far as headlights maybe we're different when it comes to cars, but you wouldn't catch me driving that car with those oxidized headlights. I have the LS430 retrofit in brand new OEM headlights (new at the time). I don't skimp on quality. FYI, if you've only spent $226 on repairs to date, your suspension isn't as strong as you think. If you're still riding on original LBJs, tie rods, caster bushings, UCA, LCA, sway bar bushings, etc., your suspension needs help...now.
Old 10-26-17, 04:46 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
For someone who wants this gen GS, id rather pay 8k for this one rather than 4-6 on all the rest of the ones on the market with more than twice the miles and in need of more work.

I never understood why people **** all over low mileage cars because in almost every case where I’ve looked at low mileage older cars, they are almost always in much better shape that higher mileage well taken care ones and have rarely ever needed as much as people suggest and for only a thousand or so more. But that is assuming that the low mileage car wasn’t thrashed. Now for me I’ve been mainly looking at older German cars, but in the few instances when it’s been a Lexus, it was much the same, so maybe I’ve just been lucky.
not shi**ing on the car. I'm simply stating it's over priced for the age, old technology, dated look, etc. but that's my opinion. If this was a rare color combination 430 (e.g. Black cherry, black interior, clean headlights, chrome 17's) then maybe I would consider it. Another red flag ...why didn't they provide interior pics? I purchased my car with low mileage in 2011. Paid a premium for it, then later learned about the longevity of our engines. I Felt like the biggest sucker afterwards; owner won, I lost.
Old 10-26-17, 06:37 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
You're changing the parts due to age. Rubber deteriorates with age, common knowledge. TB/WP, cam and crank seals, pulleys, VVTI seals will run you at least $1k unless you have a hookup. Rubber suspension parts should be replaced. As far as headlights maybe we're different when it comes to cars, but you wouldn't catch me driving that car with those oxidized headlights. I have the LS430 retrofit in brand new OEM headlights (new at the time). I don't skimp on quality. FYI, if you've only spent $226 on repairs to date, your suspension isn't as strong as you think. If you're still riding on original LBJs, tie rods, caster bushings, UCA, LCA, sway bar bushings, etc., your suspension needs help...now.
Thank you for all of your invaluable input. I guess that it could be a possibility that the indy mechanic (worked at a Lexus stealership for years until he opened up his own shop) that has taken care of all my cars throughout the years,--SC,GS,LX-- was incorrect in his diagnosis when he saw the car last time, a couple of months ago. I will ask him to review the car again and reassess/adjust his opinion. As per your suggestion,
"If you're still riding on original LBJs, tie rods, caster bushings, UCA, LCA, sway bar bushings, etc., your suspension needs help...now",
I will ask him to urgently recheck the various components of the front suspension, as it may be in need of immediate assistance.
BTW, the repairs done on this car--maf sensor, exhaust leak,brake light bulb-- have all been done with new OEM parts, except for the y pipe, which I guess is why the amount of $226.00 might seem low.
As far as maintenance, which as you may know, it is something that is different from a repair and is not specific to Lexus and should be done to any vehicle. I, of course, did not include all the expenditure that I have incurred in performing it.
Although not having the pleasure of knowing you, and of course, not knowing the condition of the vehicle that you drive, it appears that you take pride in taking care of it. I am basing this assumption on your statement, " As far as headlights maybe we're different when it comes to cars, but you wouldn't catch me driving that car with those oxidized headlights. I have the LS430 retrofit in brand new OEM headlights (new at the time). I don't skimp on quality." I am somewhat confused though as to which car you are referring to when you say 'that car'. My car's HID headlights are cleaned regularly and perform their intended duty flawlessly. However, I shall have to research the aforementioned LS430 retrofit in brand new OEM headlights, to evaluate the benefit of this procedure. Do they not oxidize?
Old 10-26-17, 02:37 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Thank you for all of your invaluable input. I guess that it could be a possibility that the indy mechanic (worked at a Lexus stealership for years until he opened up his own shop) that has taken care of all my cars throughout the years,--SC,GS,LX-- was incorrect in his diagnosis when he saw the car last time, a couple of months ago. I will ask him to review the car again and reassess/adjust his opinion. As per your suggestion,
"If you're still riding on original be LBJs, tie rods, caster bushings, UCA, LCA, sway bar bushings, etc., your suspension needs help...now",
I will ask him to urgently recheck the various components of the front suspension, as it may be in need of immediate assistance.
BTW, the repairs done on this car--maf sensor, exhaust leak,brake light bulb-- have all been done with new OEM parts, except for the y pipe, which I guess is why the amount of $226.00 might seem low.
As far as maintenance, which as you may know, it is something that is different from a repair and is not specific to Lexus and should be done to any vehicle. I, of course, did not include all the expenditure that I have incurred in performing it.
Although not having the pleasure of knowing you, and of course, not knowing the condition of the vehicle that you drive, it appears that you take pride in taking care of it. I am basing this assumption on your statement, " As far as headlights maybe we're different when it comes to cars, but you wouldn't catch me driving that car with those oxidized headlights. I have the LS430 retrofit in brand new OEM headlights (new at the time). I don't skimp on quality." I am somewhat confused though as to which car you are referring to when you say 'that car'. My car's HID headlights are cleaned regularly and perform their intended duty flawlessly. However, I shall have to research the aforementioned LS430 retrofit in brand new OEM headlights, to evaluate the benefit of this procedure. Do they not oxidize?
I was referencing the headlights of the car for sale. I added Xpel headlights UV film to mitigate oxidation. My headlights look brand new. Anyway, all of us love this generation, personally I think it's overpriced based on what I know now. Plus I'm bored with my car and it's too small now lol. I'll keep it until the wheels fall off (only have 150k miles) but I want something faster. I'm looking at the Jag XJL supercharged
Old 10-26-17, 10:12 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Another one. https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/c...336740977.html