IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Having Two Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 03:16 PM
UrinalCake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Two Issues

New 2017 IS350 FSport owner here and I've been having two issues I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced. The first is that when I hit the brakes at higher speeds, my car downshifts hard and stays at high RPM for awhile before it will shift up and the RPM's drop. For instacne, I was on the highway the other day when the car in front of me slammed on their brakes. I did the same, but my car downshifted hard and stayed around 5500 RPM for at least 30 seconds before shifting up. This has happened several times since I bought the car in March. The other issue is that my dashboard and Nav screen don't "light up" fully upon startup. It's dull but light enough for me to see the dash and NAV screen, but it's not fully lit up. It won't fully light up until I've been driving for 10-15 minutes. Anybody else experience these issues?
Old 10-19-17, 04:18 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UrinalCake
New 2017 IS350 FSport owner here and I've been having two issues I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced. The first is that when I hit the brakes at higher speeds, my car downshifts hard and stays at high RPM for awhile before it will shift up and the RPM's drop. For instacne, I was on the highway the other day when the car in front of me slammed on their brakes. I did the same, but my car downshifted hard and stayed around 5500 RPM for at least 30 seconds before shifting up. This has happened several times since I bought the car in March. The other issue is that my dashboard and Nav screen don't "light up" fully upon startup. It's dull but light enough for me to see the dash and NAV screen, but it's not fully lit up. It won't fully light up until I've been driving for 10-15 minutes. Anybody else experience these issues?
What driver mode are you in? I've experienced the high RPM hold in Sport mode. It's almost as if it gets stuck.
Also, the Nav screen has a auto adjust brightness setting. I know when I start the car in the garage , it's turned down. After driving for 5 or so minutes in daylight hours, it turns up.
Then randomly, based on cloud conditions, it seems to have a mind of it's own. There's a way to turn it off in the menu. I haven't done it yet, but I'm tempted to!!!
Old 10-19-17, 08:31 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same as what he said, in sport mode in does that, I think for a faster throttle response? And it’s all auto brightness, unless you wanna change it manually which you can
Old 10-19-17, 10:28 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, just try increasing the brightness with the up/down arrow buttons to the left of the steering wheel, just beside the Odo/trip button.
Old 10-20-17, 11:50 AM
UrinalCake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the inf guys.
Old 10-22-17, 06:55 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

According to your GEAR SHIFTS its normal, I like it when it does that, the car go ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and I can REV like a 5 Speed Transmission, there are tricks with Lexus/TOyota Auto Trans people thinks I drive a 5speed when I do it
Old 10-22-17, 09:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Yeah, in Normal or Eco it won't do that. Basically, Sport tries to analyze your driving style and adjusts shift points based on your driving. I.e., if you floor it, then let off the gas quickly and start braking, it will hold the current gear and sometimes downshift if you brake really hard. I actually find it pretty smart for back road driving, though Manual mode is a better bet.

As for the lighting, I think the brightness is just different depending on the ambient light, just like the auto headlights. The manual explains (somewhat well) how that works.