Old 10-19-17, 12:58 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hardwiring Dash cam

I recently purchased a Dash Cam (
VIOFO A119S V2 VIOFO A119S V2
)

I also got the hardwire kit but i have no idea how to run the wire and what fuse to tap into for the power/ground. Has anyone wired their dash cam into their car? is

HELP!! lol
Old 10-19-17, 01:54 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

There's 2 ways to hardwire the dashcamera. 1 is through the fuse tap method, the other is via fuse box located under the dash on the drivers side.
from the fusebox you'll have to run the wiring through the A-Pillar. the mirror tap method would prefer a shorter run cable.

This should provide some info on the mirror tap route.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-detector.html

This one should provide info on using the fusebox.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tallation.html

Some more digging in the forums might give you what you're looking for.
Old 10-19-17, 02:08 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Originally Posted by itsx
There's 2 ways to hardwire the dashcamera. 1 is through the fuse tap method, the other is via fuse box located under the dash on the drivers side.
from the fusebox you'll have to run the wiring through the A-Pillar. the mirror tap method would prefer a shorter run cable.

This should provide some info on the mirror tap route.

This one should provide info on using the fusebox.

Some more digging in the forums might give you what you're looking for.

i tried both those methods and it didnt work, i might of tapped into the wrong fuse. I'll have to try again, Thank you
Old 10-19-17, 02:13 PM
itsx
Intermediate

I forgot to ground mine the first time I set it up, lol
Which fuse are you tapping? I tapped into the ign1 fuse with an "Add a fuse" for my setup.
Good luck!
Old 10-19-17, 04:36 PM
trinhtd
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i used a fuse tap. tapped into the ignition fuse "IGN" theres like 3 of them then ran the wire up the pillar and inthe front windshield lining
Old 10-20-17, 11:30 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the same camera and I just purchased a 10ft Usb cable, ran it down the passenger A pillar, tucked it under the plastic covering where the glove compartment is at. Ran it along the side of the center console and popped it out from the center console storage box through the corner then plugged it into the cig outlet.
Old 10-22-17, 12:23 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

I forgot to ground mine the first time I set it up, lol
Which fuse are you tapping? I tapped into the ign1 fuse with an "Add a fuse" for my setup.
Good luck!

i used a "add a fuse" tapped into the IGN1, i think i used the wrong item to ground the wire. where did ground the wire?

the wire tap thing i have has 2 slots for fuses, does it matter which one i use?
Old 10-22-17, 12:27 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EJ255t
i used a "add a fuse" tapped into the IGN1, i think i used the wrong item to ground the wire. where did ground the wire?

the wire tap thing i have has 2 slots for fuses, does it matter which one i use?
the bottom slot goes for the original fuse. the top one is the added fuse. it actually matters the orientation that you plug the fuse tap in the fuse box because it would dictate whether or not the added fuse is being used. don't insert the top fuse and see if whatever you're adding works. if it works without the fuse then you gotta flip it around. if you want i can snap a picture of what mine looks like
Old 10-23-17, 09:02 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ255t

Tap the ignition and ground pin from rearview mirror connector. It's so easy you don't even need to use add a fuse.
Old 10-23-17, 10:08 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dojoman
Tap the ignition and ground pin from rearview mirror connector. It's so easy you don't even need to use add a fuse.
Just to piggyback off your post, the ignition and ground pins to tap were mentioned in this thread.

As far as what I did for grounding, I went off of this guide:

I took a screenshot and circled in red where I used for a ground
Attached Thumbnails Hardwiring Dash cam-screen-shot-2017-10-23-at-10.04.31-am.png  
Old 10-23-17, 12:28 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Just to piggyback off your post, the ignition and ground pins to tap were mentioned in this thread.

As far as what I did for grounding, I went off of this guide:

I took a screenshot and circled in red where I used for a ground
Why don't you just take the ground from blue wire next to pink wire as shown in mirrortap link?
Old 10-23-17, 12:35 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dojoman
Why don't you just take the ground from blue wire next to pink wire as shown in mirrortap link?
My personal setup isn't suitable for a mirror tap. and i was assuming he would use the add a fuse. i assumed the hardwire kit he has would be a power and ground lead that's pretty long and he's using the add a fuse.

the mirrortap method is definitely alot easier in the sense of running and tucking wires away if there are short cables, but i wasn't sure if his hardwire kit would work without more modification to the wires. I'm not confident enough in my abilities to use a mirror tap for my dashcam setup, but my setup is more suited for the add a fuse method

I an running a radar detector using the mirror tap, I also have a 2 channel dashcam that's run off an independent battery (celllink) and the battery is tucked under my seat. where it's hardwired to my ignition fuse.
Old 10-23-17, 02:04 PM
suginathan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read multiple pages with steps on how to hardwire the camera (VIOFO A119S). Some instructions indicate to add a add-on fuse and and now I see some say to wire it to the rearview mirror. I also seen someone say to just plug it into the cigarette charger port. Can someone tell me the best method to do this?
Old 10-23-17, 02:34 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by suginathan
I have read multiple pages with steps on how to hardwire the camera (VIOFO A119S). Some instructions indicate to add a add-on fuse and and now I see some say to wire it to the rearview mirror. I also seen someone say to just plug it into the cigarette charger port. Can someone tell me the best method to do this?
in my opinion. the easiest but possibly the ugliest way would be to use the cigarette lighter socket.
the cleanest method would be to use the rearview mirror method, you just need wiretaps of some sort.

it's all about what you're working with, and what you want to do.
my radar detector is hardwired via mirror because it's only 1 cable. (power)
my dashcam setup involves 2 wires. power and rear camera feed. and that power wire runs to a battery, which is ran to the fusebox. i didn't have a place near the mirror to put the battery and all the excess wires hence the fuse box a better location for my cameras
The following users liked this post:
suginathan (10-23-17)
Old 10-23-17, 02:39 PM
suginathan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In my case where I am installing just the dashcam, do I need to worry about the rear camera feed? Could I not tap into the rearview mirror and that would be all I need to do? I also want to make this a clean install so I wanted to avoid the cigarette lighter socket. I don't mind doing it this way if the other options don't work well for my case. Hope to hear back! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Hardwiring Dash cam