Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Advice...Car Purchase Out of State

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 08:07 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice...Car Purchase Out of State

Hi CL Members, I live in NY and in the market for a Lexus IS-F. I found one I really like in Foley Alabama. I've been in touch with the salesman over there. He's been very attentive to my needs and concerns. I'm very close to pulling the plug to buy but I havent test driven the car. (i know, Cardinal Rule always test drive before you buy). This is the only thing thats holding me back. I"m not sure what I should do. The IS-F's records are up to date and the salesman has expressed to me that they took it to lexus and passed there inspection. Does anyone have experience buying a car out of state without driving?
Old 10-17-17, 08:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k4CamkilA
Hi CL Members, I live in NY and in the market for a Lexus IS-F. I found one I really like in Foley Alabama. I've been in touch with the salesman over there. He's been very attentive to my needs and concerns. I'm very close to pulling the plug to buy but I havent test driven the car. (i know, Cardinal Rule always test drive before you buy). This is the only thing thats holding me back. I"m not sure what I should do. The IS-F's records are up to date and the salesman has expressed to me that they took it to lexus and passed there inspection. Does anyone have experience buying a car out of state without driving?
I haven't, but my cousin has. He bought a BMW 530 wagon from FLA, and he lives in NYC. The vehicle was shipped up and he's had it about a year now. Are you trying to avoid going down there? The thing about the test drive is a) to determine if you want the IS-F, have you driven one in NY? b) to get a sense of the actual car you might purchase

My cousin felt "a" was already satisfied, and he relied upon Carfax for b.

You can do what my cousin did, but if it were me, I would go down there. Then again, I think his car was like $8k? So he didn't feel it was justified going to FLA. So maybe if the car were a lot more expensive, he would have....

p.s. Lexus multipoints are worthless imho, even when they are selling the car.....jmo I purchased a used Lexus in NYS, and live in PA. I went up there 4X (YIKES).....
Old 10-17-17, 08:46 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I haven't, but my cousin has. He bought a BMW 530 wagon from FLA, and he lives in NYC. The vehicle was shipped up and he's had it about a year now. Are you trying to avoid going down there? The thing about the test drive is a) to determine if you want the IS-F, have you driven one in NY? b) to get a sense of the actual car you might purchase

My cousin felt "a" was already satisfied, and he relied upon Carfax for b.

You can do what my cousin did, but if it were me, I would go down there. Then again, I think his car was like $8k? So he didn't feel it was justified going to FLA. So maybe if the car were a lot more expensive, he would have....

p.s. Lexus multipoints are worthless imho, even when they are selling the car.....jmo I purchased a used Lexus in NYS, and live in PA. I went up there 4X (YIKES).....
I really don't want to fly all the way down there. I would be flying into Pensacola, FL and than I would have to drive atleast an hour to Foley, Alabama. Its a good deal just dont want to have it shipped up here and its not riding right. I've driven a ISF. If the car is sold by the end of the week than I will move on and purchase a 4th Gen GS350 Fsport
Old 10-17-17, 09:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I really don't want to fly all the way down there. I would be flying into Pensacola, FL and than I would have to drive atleast an hour to Foley, Alabama. Its a good deal just dont want to have it shipped up here and its not riding right. I've driven a ISF. If the car is sold by the end of the week than I will move on and purchase a 4th Gen GS350 Fsport
Do you mean you're letting whether or not someone else takes it or not, decide whether you will? This reminds me of my junior prom, I asked this really whatever girl to the prom, and she said it depends on whether Jim asks me or not. I mean back then I was ok with it and we went, since Jim being clas pres did not ask her, but today, I want to be in the driver's seat...my .02
Old 10-17-17, 09:16 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Do you mean you're letting whether or not someone else takes it or not, decide whether you will? This reminds me of my junior prom, I asked this really whatever girl to the prom, and she said it depends on whether Jim asks me or not. I mean back then I was ok with it and we went, since Jim being clas pres did not ask her, but today, I want to be in the driver's seat...my .02
lol...
Not really, I'm just bent on not being able to test drive. its just such a good deal.
Old 10-17-17, 09:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

lol...
Not really, I'm just bent on not being able to test drive. its just such a good deal.
I think you want the IS-F....so if I were you, I'd either go and test it (hey if something is wrong with it you saved yourself some $$$$), or, if the deal is really good, have someone down there test it (there are services for sure).....but the IS-F and GS350 are two different cars AFAIK....good luck either way!
Old 10-17-17, 04:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

have them take it lexus and do a PPI on it that you have to pay for or see if they'll pay half - so at least you have the lexus inspection in writing.

airplane tix are cheap - if its a great deal go check it out.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-18-17 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 06:53 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
have them take it lexus and do a PPI on it that you have to pay for or see if they'll pay half - so at least you have the lexus inspection in writing.

airplane tix are cheap - if its a great deal go check it out.
+1 on this.

Spend $100-$150 of your own, $$, have the dealership take it to a Lexus service center and perform the PPI. The Lexus service advisor should be thorough (road test, measurements etc) and this should re-assure you that Lexus mechanics gave it the A-OK.

BTW Foley is close to Orange Beach which is a pretty nice spot, my kids loved going down there in case you can make a weekend out of this =)
Old 10-18-17, 10:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree with last 2 posters. Ask the dealer to take it to nearest Lexus dealership for a PPI, contact Lexus dealership they are taking it to and make sure they know you are a out of state buyer and will not be able to drive it before you buy it and focus on your main concerns. I think I would just pay for the inspection all yourself just to make sure everything is in your name so if it has a problem after the inspection you have your name on the records. I doubt the dealer will pay for the car to be inspected or even a portion anyway, they will likely not even want to take the time to take it to a Lexus dealership dealership for the PPI and say they checked the car over themselves but if you promise you will buy the car if the PPI comes out okay they may do it. Having to try to buy out of state because where you are the selection is so poor sucks and is a PIA, I am dealing with it too.
Old 10-18-17, 11:35 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I would second Wandl's comment about a weekend on the Gulf coast. Great beaches. I'm headed to Destin tomorrow. Although one caveat if you take wife/girlfriend, there is a large Tanger Outlet Mall in Foley so you might end up spending your car savings.
Old 10-18-17, 08:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

can order a third party pre purchase inspection like from Lemon Squad or other groups. I bought the viper from Los Angeles after the PPI, without test driving, signed papers electronically, and shipped it to Houston.
Old 10-19-17, 12:03 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this car for sale at a Lexus dealer or some side of the road shady *** "buy here/pay here" type of place???? With used cars, I try not to deal with independent used car dealers, as most of them are crooks that sell patched together junk. I mean I will go look at those type of places if they are local, but I'd be very leery of trusting that type of dealer out of state. If I am buying out of state, I look for a car that is for sale by its owner, an owner that has had the car for several years and has cherished it.

Any out of state car deal I've ever done involved talking to the owner a damn good deal before hand, flying up there, inspecting the car myself and taking it for a test drive. If it lived up to their promise, we went to the local Bank of America and I withdrew a stack of $100 bills, owner signed the title over, and I drove it home. I've done that 4 times now and haven't been burned, car was as the buyer described it over the phone and through the photos. Granted it does take 2 days of your time to fly up there and drive it back, but my work schedule is pretty flexible, so its like taking a crazy weekend vacation lol.
Old 10-19-17, 11:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Is this car for sale at a Lexus dealer or some side of the road shady *** "buy here/pay here" type of place???? With used cars, I try not to deal with independent used car dealers, as most of them are crooks that sell patched together junk. I mean I will go look at those type of places if they are local, but I'd be very leery of trusting that type of dealer out of state. If I am buying out of state, I look for a car that is for sale by its owner, an owner that has had the car for several years and has cherished it.

Any out of state car deal I've ever done involved talking to the owner a damn good deal before hand, flying up there, inspecting the car myself and taking it for a test drive. If it lived up to their promise, we went to the local Bank of America and I withdrew a stack of $100 bills, owner signed the title over, and I drove it home. I've done that 4 times now and haven't been burned, car was as the buyer described it over the phone and through the photos. Granted it does take 2 days of your time to fly up there and drive it back, but my work schedule is pretty flexible, so its like taking a crazy weekend vacation lol.
Used car dealership generally get their cars the same way Lexus dealerships get most of their used cars, from car auctions, I rarely find trade ins at dealerships. There are the small run down used car dealerships with bad reputations that get really bad cars, normally older ones that don't go for or sell for a lot of money but there are ones that get good used cars, sometimes better then what I see at Lexus dealerships. It is still good to focus on the car, if it is a good car it does not matter too much where it is purchased from and at least with Lexus, Acura, Honda, or Toyota they are pretty solid cars in the first place and don't have many issues in most cases.

Last edited by UDel; 10-19-17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 03:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Buy a plane ticket and drive it back. That's not that far from you.

I would NEVER buy something I have not seen in person. Too many people who are clueless and will tell you "it's great" just to make a sale, than you are stuck wit ha car that potentially had previous body work, etc., and other bugs that someone without a trained eye will not disclose. They look at these cars from 10 feet away when they sell them to you, but when you bring them a trade-in they will look at every crease with a magnifying glass to give you the lowest possible price. That's the business. Most places simply are in it for their own personal interests, unfortunately at your expense most times.

Not saying this is not some great car, it may be. But I recommend you go see for yourself before signing anything.
Old 10-19-17, 07:17 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Well, OP posted the location where the car was being sold, so it wasn't hard to find which dealer was selling it. Did you check the free Autocheck it provides? Supposedly, it's reporting that the mileage may not be correct, although in regards to that, it looks like someone tried registering it in Ohio, and then a month later was renewed in Alabama again. I've never been a fan of Autocheck though, I'd pay to get a Carfax at the very least.

I'd go look at the car. I bet the dealership would be more than happy to arrange transportation for you if they think you're a serious buyer and they really want to sell you car. If you want to get a PPI, the nearest Lexus dealer is in Mobile, or try any 3rd party services nearby in the area. Flights are cheap. Who cares if it's a 40 minute drive from Pensacola to Foley if you really want the car? It kind of sounds to me that you aren't so sure if you want the IS-F, or the GS350 (9 year old car compact sports sedan vs up to a 4-5 year old mid-size sedan with more tech and features), you need to think of what your needs are and what you really want.

Last edited by Zmon; 10-19-17 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Advice...Car Purchase Out of State