IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 05:32 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPMS Sensor Replacement

First cold day of the season and my warning light came on leaving work yesterday. At home, I filled up all tires to spec and after resetting twice, the light went off. Hooray! Driving to work this morning, I got the "Check System" error message. Oddly, that went off once I got off the highway and stopped at a light. The car is 2009, so I have a feeling the battery in a sensor is on it's way out.

Would it be beneficial to just replace all 4? Is there a way to tell which one is bad? What sensors will work? PMV-107J? I have to imagine Toyota sensors are a much better value than walking up to the Lexus parts counter...
Old 10-17-17, 11:44 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Skier76
First cold day of the season and my warning light came on leaving work yesterday. At home, I filled up all tires to spec and after resetting twice, the light went off. Hooray! Driving to work this morning, I got the "Check System" error message. Oddly, that went off once I got off the highway and stopped at a light. The car is 2009, so I have a feeling the battery in a sensor is on it's way out.

Would it be beneficial to just replace all 4? Is there a way to tell which one is bad? What sensors will work? PMV-107J? I have to imagine Toyota sensors are a much better value than walking up to the Lexus parts counter...
If you go to a tire shop (Discount Tire for example) they have a machine that can scan each sensor. I bought used OEM sensors off eBay and installed them on my new aftermarket wheels. I believe the dealer charges over $100 per sensor and they will only install the sensors if you by them from the dealership. JUST A FYI you will have to get the new sensors programmed into the ECU. This can be done for free at Discount Tire if they technician knows how to properly use the machine. Again, the dealership will not program the sensors unless you buy the sensors from the dealership.
Old 10-19-17, 05:37 AM
Skier76
Driver

This is a pretty strange issue. When it's cooler out, the light will come on after about 20-30 minutes of highway driving. Then, it'll shut off once you slow down to almost a stop. So maybe a batter is on it's way out in one of the sensors.
Old 10-24-17, 05:45 AM
Skier76
Driver

The plot thickens! It's been warmer lately around these parts and the issue still persists. When I do between 20-40 minutes of highway driving, the "Check System" warning comes on in the dash. Once I slow down to get off the highway, the light goes off. It won't come on again until I do more highway driving.

Any thoughts? Will a scan tool be able to see what the issue is even if the warning light isn't on? Do these things store codes like a CEL?
Old 10-24-17, 08:02 AM
XSV
Instructor

I don't think the sensors store any type of diagnostic code besides for programming it to the ECU. I'd say just replace the faulty sensor. It's like $80 for a set of 4 used with new batteries on eBay. Haven't had any problems.
Old 10-24-17, 12:44 PM
cwwplex12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought four new tires last week for my 2012 IS250 from Mavis Tire hear on Long Island NY. They told me that one of the sensor batteries was weak and will fail within about 6 months. They quoted $60.00 for a replacement sensor when I need it and they said the low pressure light will blink when the battery is dead. I've heard on this forum that the typical battery life is 6-7 years.
Old 10-24-17, 01:02 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwwplex12
I just bought four new tires last week for my 2012 IS250 from Mavis Tire hear on Long Island NY. They told me that one of the sensor batteries was weak and will fail within about 6 months. They quoted $60.00 for a replacement sensor when I need it and they said the low pressure light will blink when the battery is dead. I've heard on this forum that the typical battery life is 6-7 years.
TPMS sensors were still good when I took them off. Had them for 9 years. $60 isn't bad seeing that they have to break the bead to get to the sensor.
Old 10-25-17, 10:08 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
TPMS sensors were still good when I took them off. Had them for 9 years. $60 isn't bad seeing that they have to break the bead to get to the sensor.
if you have access to Techstream and cable. You can read each sensor and see status when car is on. Can tell you if sensors are communicating.
Old 10-31-17, 06:42 AM
Skier76
Driver

Thanks guys. Still having the issue. I'll probably need someone to scan the system for me.
Old 10-31-17, 06:48 AM
XSV
Instructor

Thanks guys. Still having the issue. I'll probably need someone to scan the system for me.
Take it to discount tire, they can do it for free.
Old 11-02-17, 04:55 AM
Skier76
Driver

Thanks XSV. Unfortunately, there aren't any near me. Any other national chains that will scan the system? The light is on all the time now. I imagine one of the batteries is now dead.
Old 11-02-17, 05:33 PM
XSV
Instructor

Thanks XSV. Unfortunately, there aren't any near me. Any other national chains that will scan the system? The light is on all the time now. I imagine one of the batteries is now dead.
Any wheel and tire shop should be able to scan them for you, idk if they will charge you tho. Always ask first. Just give them a call. We have discount tire here so that's pretty much all I've experience with. I did go to an independent shop and the dude scanned them for me for free but they we not able to program my sensors because the machine they have could only program the sensors they sold.
Old 11-05-17, 12:26 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened on my 06 IS250 a month ago. Ended up being a bad TPMS sensor in one of the tires. I got them all replaced at discount tire for ~$280 total. Figured the car is 11+ years old and they other 3 were likely not far behind in failing.
Old 12-05-18, 05:47 AM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been having the same issue. I drive about 45 minutes to work, halfway there my tpm light comes on. But it goes off usually the next time I start the car. However, I got them all brand new and installed at discount tires. Every time I take it to Discount Tires, they can't even locate which one is bad. It happens only about 30 minutes of driving and stays on the maximum 20 minutes. Every time I go back to Discount Tire, they seem to not be able to locate which one is bad. I'm thinking that there tire pressure monitors probably are all faulty in my car. I believe I just need to get OEM replacements. It's almost time to put back on my factory tires for winter. I still have the original TPMs in those tires. I never had a issue with the original ones. Only the ones in my aftermarket wheels from Discount Tires
Old 12-05-18, 06:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Try a different Discount Tire store. It seems weird that they can not de-bug this issue you have.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor Replacement