LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Guessing my Mark Levinson Amp is dead...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 11:59 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guessing my Mark Levinson Amp is dead...

Car is a 2004 UL, driving into work today, I hear a pop from my left front speaker and all goes silent. Navigation still works but I believe that bypasses the amp. Checked the fuses and they are good, when I first turn on the car I hear a few popping noises and the stereo playing music and than silence after about 5 seconds. I thought I was safe for at least a few years since the previous owner had the amps replaced about 3 years ago by Lexus. I may go argue with Lexus about that this is clearly an issue but I highly doubt I will get anywhere. Looks like the $360 Dash kit to put in a double din and replacing amp/speakers or risk buying an ebay amp are the only options?
Old 10-17-17, 06:27 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, this sounds like the amp is dead because this happened to me but it was the right side front speaker that was making the popping sound. This is a common issue with these and from where you live in HOT Florida, history can repeat itself because it's not the best place because it has no ventilation.

I replace all speakers except the tweeters, plus I installed new wiring because I didn't want to tap-in to the factory wires.

- (1) Kenwood 4 channel amps- $194
-(1) ML Beatsonic Kit
- (4) JBL's 6.5 two way $155
-(1)Rockford Fosgate powered/loaded subwoofer with slim box.- $175
-4 Gauge power wire and 8 gauge ground wire- going to the distribution blocks, JL Audio 16 gauge speaker wire (115 feet of it), RCA's, Bass controller, (2) distribution blocks= $355
The following users liked this post:
PolishDude (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 06:52 AM
PolishDude
Driver

So far I ordered 4 replacement speakers, the Beat Sonic MVA-24L, and I actually have a brand new 5 channel amp I never used in a different car. Still need a head unit, sub and wiring. Is the MVA-24L the only thing I need? I don't really need DVDs to play on the top navigation screen, just want that screen to function as the clunky old maps and ac controls.
Old 10-17-17, 08:10 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Just another option: I know there is a thread out there that someone tap-in the OEM wiring and used an aftermarket amp/speakers. You'll have to do some more digging on this, hopefully another member can chime in on this.

Just a quick tip: If your going to install aftermarket speakers in the doors you'll have to modify the speaker brackets for them to fit (i used a dremel).

I purchased a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS for my headunit (this was in late 2015), they might have a newer versions out now.

If you go the MVA-24L kit route- this plugs everything in perfectly in like 5 clicks without any wire cutting or tape (you will lose steering wheels controls going this route).

this thread can help you:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nd-part-s.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-plug-map.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-install.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ll-w-pics.html

Last edited by whooodat; 10-17-17 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added link
The following 3 users liked this post by whooodat:
DaveGS4 (10-17-17), PolishDude (10-18-17), Romanova (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 08:18 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Added more links in the above message
Old 10-17-17, 09:02 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishDude
So far I ordered 4 replacement speakers, the Beat Sonic MVA-24L, and I actually have a brand new 5 channel amp I never used in a different car. Still need a head unit, sub and wiring. Is the MVA-24L the only thing I need? I don't really need DVDs to play on the top navigation screen, just want that screen to function as the clunky old maps and ac controls.
What speakers did you go with? Might be time to get a carplay headunit brotha. I have mine on the way I'm going to be installing this weekend. That pricetag on the beasonic is tough to swallow right? Unfortunately its the only option we have but it should integrate nicely. Since I'm getting a new head unit I might do the speakers too, I want to get some really good ones. I'm adding the backup camera too, should be a nice upgrade for these old cars. This is the unit I got.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-NaZB2A...X-Package.html

In the thread a bit below this one I had linked a deal on those recently, got it for about half the price after rebate.
Old 10-17-17, 09:11 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by whooodat
Just another option: I know there is a thread out there that someone tap-in the OEM wiring and used an aftermarket amp/speakers. You'll have to do some more digging on this, hopefully another member can chime in on this.

Just a quick tip: If your going to install aftermarket speakers in the doors you'll have to modify the speaker brackets for them to fit (i used a dremel).

I purchased a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS for my headunit (this was in late 2015), they might have a newer versions out now.

If you go the MVA-24L kit route- this plugs everything in perfectly in like 5 clicks without any wire cutting or tape (you will lose steering wheels controls going this route).

Some great info! I have the non ML setup and want to put my new CD player where the 6-disc changer is. Will use some of this info to help guide the way...
Old 10-17-17, 11:03 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Romanova-

This thread will help you- A non ML will use a different adapter

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-in-ls430.html

Hope this helps!
Old 10-17-17, 04:25 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Car is a 2004 UL, driving into work today, I hear a pop from my left front speaker and all goes silent. Navigation still works but I believe that bypasses the amp. Checked the fuses and they are good, when I first turn on the car I hear a few popping noises and the stereo playing music and than silence after about 5 seconds. I thought I was safe for at least a few years since the previous owner had the amps replaced about 3 years ago by Lexus. I may go argue with Lexus about that this is clearly an issue but I highly doubt I will get anywhere. Looks like the $360 Dash kit to put in a double din and replacing amp/speakers or risk buying an ebay amp are the only options?
I have an 04 ML. Amp was replaced by dealer at 95k (for 1,300). At 106k, when I started the car, there was a loud pop. Is this a blown speaker? Damaged amp? The ML in my wife's LS300 (w/ 178k) was incredible. The ML in my car ? Nowhere near as good. Almost "flat". Paper cone speakers that are 14 years old probably need replacement. Cost is insane. Doing the refurb thing is a little more reasonable but takes time.
Old 10-17-17, 04:41 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I have an 04 ML. Amp was replaced by dealer at 95k (for 1,300). At 106k, when I started the car, there was a loud pop. Is this a blown speaker? Damaged amp? The ML in my wife's LS300 (w/ 178k) was incredible. The ML in my car ? Nowhere near as good. Almost "flat". Paper cone speakers that are 14 years old probably need replacement. Cost is insane. Doing the refurb thing is a little more reasonable but takes time.
Yeah never was really impressed with the speakers in the car. I had to replace my front 2 speakers early on. Wasn't planning on a new amp yet just the head unit but I think I will explore it next after I get the other stuff installed. I'm also going on the audio based off using a casette adapater to iphone for the last 3 years.
Old 10-18-17, 08:00 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Originally Posted by e60bmw
What speakers did you go with? Might be time to get a carplay headunit brotha. I have mine on the way I'm going to be installing this weekend. That pricetag on the beasonic is tough to swallow right? Unfortunately its the only option we have but it should integrate nicely. Since I'm getting a new head unit I might do the speakers too, I want to get some really good ones. I'm adding the backup camera too, should be a nice upgrade for these old cars. This is the unit I got.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-NaZB2A...X-Package.html

In the thread a bit below this one I had linked a deal on those recently, got it for about half the price after rebate.
I think I saw you posting on SlickDeals which I also browse haha. Unfortunately I saw that deal on Saturday but had no intention of replacing the stereo in the Lexus, the amp blew out Monday morning. I rushed to slickdeals for that deal and it was over, even messaged the retailer and said if there is any way I could still get that deal and they said no. I ended up ordering a 4200nex which is the same thing as the 4201nex minus the rear view camera which I don't need. There was one authorized retailer on newegg left still selling it for $497 and it also qualifies for the $150 rebate. I was thinking about trying to wait for another 4201nex deal but did not want to risk them running out of inventory as that was the last place out of all listed online retailers with it still in stock, plus I am currently riding around in silence minus Pandora on my phone. I was going to just sell the reverse camera as both my cars have them so it the end it probably only cost me about $50 bucks by losing out on that deal.

BTW speakers I went with are the Polk DB651, they are an older model speaker but highly regarded and I've used them multiple times and they sound great on a stock amp, so I think they will really sing with a clean 50watts rms each. They aren't too deep so mounting should not be a problem and they have a pivoting tweeter which is nice since I will be losing all 4 top mounted tweeters. You can pick them up for just under $60 shipped for a set on Amazon.

Last edited by PolishDude; 10-18-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 08:01 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Originally Posted by whooodat

Very helpful, thank you! Any idea how much power wire I need? I see most kits come with 17 feet, is that enough for the Lexus? helps the battery is in the back of the engine.
Old 10-18-17, 08:12 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

I think I saw you posting on SlickDeals which I also browse haha. Unfortunately I saw that deal on Saturday but had no intention of replacing the stereo in the Lexus, the amp blew out Monday morning. I rushed to slickdeals for that deal and it was over, even messaged the retailer and said if there is any way I could still get that deal and they said no. I ended up ordering a 4200nex which is the same thing as the 4201nex minus the rear view camera which I don't need. There was one authorized retailer on newegg left still selling it for $497 and it also qualifies for the $150 rebate. I was thinking about trying to wait for another 4201nex deal but did not want to risk them running out of inventory as that was the last place out of all listed online retailers with it still in stock, plus I am currently riding around in silence minus Pandora on my phone. I was going to just sell the reverse camera as both my cars have them so it the end it probably only cost me about $50 bucks by losing out on that deal.

BTW speakers I went with are the Polk DB651, they are an older model speaker but highly regarded and I've used them multiple times and they sound great on a stock amp, so I think they will really sing with a clean 50watts rms each. They aren't too deep so mounting should not be a problem and they have a pivoting tweeter which is nice since I will be losing all 4 top mounted tweeters. You can pick them up for just under $60 shipped for a set on Amazon.
Yeah that was probably me, I've been on that site for years, have to stay off it because I always end up spending money on something. I'm really looking forward to having some updated tech in the car, I love the car overall but it was annoying having the cassette adapter. I think I'm going to spray my beatsonic plate with the SEM phantom white which I redid my armrests with. I think it will go with the interior well. If you want the camera I saw that Bestbuy has them in openbox for around $80 which isn't bad. I call this car the boat because its so huge sometimes to park so the camera will become a welcome addition for me. Trying to update the interior some. Got a new steering wheel, shift **** and upgraded brakes on the way.
Old 10-18-17, 09:45 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Yeah that was probably me, I've been on that site for years, have to stay off it because I always end up spending money on something. I'm really looking forward to having some updated tech in the car, I love the car overall but it was annoying having the cassette adapter. I think I'm going to spray my beatsonic plate with the SEM phantom white which I redid my armrests with. I think it will go with the interior well. If you want the camera I saw that Bestbuy has them in openbox for around $80 which isn't bad. I call this car the boat because its so huge sometimes to park so the camera will become a welcome addition for me. Trying to update the interior some. Got a new steering wheel, shift **** and upgraded brakes on the way.
Yup same issue with slickdeals, doesn't matter if I save 20 bucks on something if I did not need to buy it in the first place. The first Holiday season I found Slickdeals was very expensive for me, I have managed to keep it in check, somewhat, since. My car is a 2004 UL so I already have the factory backup camera, I was only hoping to get the 4201 for the same price as the 4200 to resell the camera and drop the overall purchase price some more. I originally had big plans for the Lexus, I have iforged wheels sitting in the garage that need to be refinished, slotted rotors, longer studs to fit the wheels/spacers, coilovers, etc but then I realized it was supposed to be my daily and my Corvette C7 Z06 was supposed to be my money pit, guess my hand was pushed to at least do the stereo!
Old 10-18-17, 10:32 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Yup same issue with slickdeals, doesn't matter if I save 20 bucks on something if I did not need to buy it in the first place. The first Holiday season I found Slickdeals was very expensive for me, I have managed to keep it in check, somewhat, since. My car is a 2004 UL so I already have the factory backup camera, I was only hoping to get the 4201 for the same price as the 4200 to resell the camera and drop the overall purchase price some more. I originally had big plans for the Lexus, I have iforged wheels sitting in the garage that need to be refinished, slotted rotors, longer studs to fit the wheels/spacers, coilovers, etc but then I realized it was supposed to be my daily and my Corvette C7 Z06 was supposed to be my money pit, guess my hand was pushed to at least do the stereo!
Nice, it sounds like you have a sick garage with those cars. I just got my 4201, didn't realize it had a microphone too. I have to figure out where I need to fir that in the car so it doesn't look bad.

Quick Reply: Guessing my Mark Levinson Amp is dead...