GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Creaking from Rear end help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 05:09 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Default Creaking from Rear end help.

Is it normal to hear creaking coming from the rear at low speeds especially over bumps? Sounds like the creaking is coming from seething suspension related.

Anybody else experience this issue?
Old 10-15-17, 06:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Sounds like it might be noise coming from suspension bushings. Colder weather oftentimes makes bushings creak...
The following users liked this post:
Longevite1 (10-15-17)
Old 10-15-17, 06:05 PM
tthomas543
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem and thought it was suspension related but it turned out to be my sunroof was loose...if you put your palm to your sunroof while it is closed and it moves then your sunroof is loose... i know it prolly doesnt make sense but i didnt believe it either until a lexus technician pointed it out... also another way is if you hear the noise with your sunroof closed but you dont hear the noise when it is open then the sunroof is loose
Old 10-15-17, 06:37 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

This week I noticed the new creaking noise from the back as well, sound like from rubber or leather part not clanking from metal.
Hopefully BC is right, because I don't want to deal with suspension parts.
Old 10-15-17, 09:14 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tthomas543
i had the same problem and thought it was suspension related but it turned out to be my sunroof was loose...if you put your palm to your sunroof while it is closed and it moves then your sunroof is loose... i know it prolly doesnt make sense but i didnt believe it either until a lexus technician pointed it out... also another way is if you hear the noise with your sunroof closed but you dont hear the noise when it is open then the sunroof is loose
I pushed on my sunroof glass and nothing abnormal, could not replicate the noise. Did you have a creak or was it more of a rattle/tapping sound? I did replace the sunroof glass gasket myself for wind noise.

I have the 450h so most of the time at low speed the car is in all electric mode, so I hear nothing else except for this creak.

Last edited by peasodos; 10-15-17 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 10:19 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Longevite1
This week I noticed the new creaking noise from the back as well, sound like from rubber or leather part not clanking from metal.
Hopefully BC is right, because I don't want to deal with suspension parts.
Please update this thread if you get it resolved. Our rear end looks like it has a lot of bushings.

Old 10-15-17, 10:26 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

I will look in to this noise this Tuesday during car wash.
Old 10-16-17, 02:43 PM
tthomas543
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I pushed on my sunroof glass and nothing abnormal, could not replicate the noise. Did you have a creak or was it more of a rattle/tapping sound? I did replace the sunroof glass gasket myself for wind noise.

I have the 450h so most of the time at low speed the car is in all electric mode, so I hear nothing else except for this creak.
if i moved my sunroof left to right with my hand it would make a creaking noise... but for some odd reason when I drove the car it sounded like a rear suspension problem...I know it sounds kinda weird but having my sunroof tightened solved the problem right away
Old 10-16-17, 05:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tthomas543
if i moved my sunroof left to right with my hand it would make a creaking noise... but for some odd reason when I drove the car it sounded like a rear suspension problem...I know it sounds kinda weird but having my sunroof tightened solved the problem right away
How are you moving the sunroof left to right? With the sunroof closed I push on the left side of the glass then right, nothing abnormal. I tried pushing the frame of the sunroof left to right.
Old 10-16-17, 05:17 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Ha... No creaking noise today, but I didn't drive much today, under 20 miles, around 30 mins.

Tomorrow, I will sit at the back and let my gf drive, for sure she will drive over couple pot holes and the noise will come back alive.
Old 10-16-17, 06:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

You probably had a warmer day. Wait until another cold front comes in and see if you hear the creak noise again. Even cars that are just a few years old can have rubber bushings that get hard and sometimes creaky when they get cold.
Old 10-17-17, 07:48 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is most likely the sunroof. I too had a creaking noise from what sounded to be the suspension and after the dealer replaced a bunch of suspension parts, it was still there and ended up being the sunroof, which they replaced and it solved the issue.
Old 10-17-17, 09:58 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Tomorrow, I will sit at the back and let my gf drive, for sure she will drive over couple pot holes and the noise will come back alive.

That's an immediate divorce in this house.
Old 10-17-17, 08:35 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Pesodos, I couldn't pinpoint the creaking noise, tapping around didn't help either, and the problem is the noise not always there when hit the bump/holes, and I barely here it now. May be like BClexus said above, the temperature effects the bushings and creaky.

Originally Posted by er34

That's an immediate divorce in this house.
lol no, she doesn't like to drive my car, for her, GS is harder to drive than her Rav4, and she love to be the passenger more than driving.
I know her problem is not look at the road conditions ahead, just stay in middle lane most of the time.
Old 11-03-17, 12:42 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Pesodos, I couldn't pinpoint the creaking noise, tapping around didn't help either, and the problem is the noise not always there when hit the bump/holes, and I barely here it now. May be like BClexus said above, the temperature effects the bushings and creaky.
I drove on a gravel road and the car was creaking like crazy. I'm starting to think it's the rear sunroof area. When the weather gets better I plan on dropping the roof lining and replacing/re-tightening the sunroof nuts:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=175340

Another issue I discovered.
I pushed on my trunk lid and noticed it makes a squeaking sound. I think the cold weather makes the rubber seals squeak.

I plan on cleaning all the rubbers seals in the door frame, window tracks, trunk lid, and sunroof.
Then applying some silicone grease to all the seals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD49GTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD49GTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by peasodos; 11-03-17 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Creaking from Rear end help.