ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

It was a gorgeous day for detailing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-17, 04:13 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
Default It was a gorgeous day for detailing

We just ran a 1000mi trip last week, we now have 20K on the odo, and it seemed proper to clean the '16 ES up real nice, especially since winter is coming up. Started yesterday and finished today.
Yesterday the mats and carpet got shampooed. I use a little Bissel ProHeat Green Machine for the carpets it is great for getting into small tight spaces. I usually pretreat with Tough Stuff carpet cleaner and follow with the Bissel cleaning solutions. This was followed up with a generous spray of Scotchguard.
I also repaired some minor rubs on the rims with sandpaper and touch-up paint.

Today, I first attacked the leather. Lexol Cleaner followed with Lexol Leather Treatment.

A wash with a Chemical Guys Soap Canon. I just started using it and so far the feelings are mixed. We'll see how this develops.
This was not to be a full scale detailing, that was done in July, so no clay.
I sprayed the car with Chemical Guys V07 detailer/sealant. I've been using this after every wash with spectacular results. It has kept the shine up nicely between washes.
For a full detail, I would have used Chemical Guy's White Light and Jet Seal instead of the V07 before the wax. But the prior coating appeared to be holding up so I went with the V07, then the wax.
I've now switched to Chemical Guy's Pete's 53 (wax w/ polymers), it is an easy wipe on/wipe off paste wax. I formerly used MeGuiar's NXT2 and loved it, the 53 just seems to give a better result, and it runs a bit less than twice the cost of NXT2.

Finally, Rejex polymer for the wheels.

Last edited by EJC; 10-15-17 at 05:12 AM. Reason: picture hosting
Old 10-14-17, 08:10 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Starfire Pearl? Nice shine there, it's been raining here for days and my car looks more mud-gray than white. I'm a lazy detailer and I usually use Meg's Quick Detailer after a wash to keep up the shine.
Old 10-15-17, 05:23 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by chromedome
Starfire Pearl? Nice shine there, it's been raining here for days and my car looks more mud-gray than white. I'm a lazy detailer and I usually use Meg's Quick Detailer after a wash to keep up the shine.
My wife has been driving WHITE PEARL ES's since her '91 ES250 - this is her 6th ES all White Pearl. My mother is still driving my wife's '94 ES in Florida.
We're in Asheville, NC and the scenery is just spectacular in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I used to use Meg's Quick Detailer, now I use it for clay lubrication. I switched to the Chemical Guys V07 this summer. I've changed my whole regimen. I've tried to get away from the techniques that remove small amounts of paint. I now do paint correction on a spot, as needed basis. The V07 and Jet Seal, from what I gather, act to fill the minor paint defects that naturally occur. So far I've been very happy with the results.
Old 10-15-17, 12:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Looking good!
Old 10-15-17, 12:54 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've found that the clear coat finishes on modern cars have improved enough over the years that I no longer need to do much in the way of using paint restoration techniques to maintain the finish on my vehicles in "like new" condition. As long as I'm careful about avoiding putting polishing swirls in the paint and making sure that I don't let bird droppings or tree sap sit on the finish long enough to get baked into the paint, I haven't felt the need to do paint restoration work in quite a few years.

Even the paint on my 2005 GX looks, to me, to still be in great shape.
Attached Thumbnails It was a gorgeous day for detailing-img_8908-lexus-gx-2-23-17.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
EJC (10-15-17)
Old 10-15-17, 01:39 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
I've found that the clear coat finishes on modern cars have improved enough over the years that I no longer need to do much in the way of using paint restoration techniques to maintain the finish on my vehicles in "like new" condition. As long as I'm careful about avoiding putting polishing swirls in the paint and making sure that I don't let bird droppings or tree sap sit on the finish long enough to get baked into the paint, I haven't felt the need to do paint restoration work in quite a few years.

Even the paint on my 2005 GX looks, to me, to still be in great shape.
That's pretty much why I switched to more localized as needed correction.
Old 10-15-17, 09:50 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I've actually given up on exterior detailing, especially as winters here are rainy, grimy and cold. When snow falls the world soon turns gray and muddy and white cars look dirty very quickly. I hose off the gunk and use quick detailer to bring the shine back, with a synthetic sealant applied once every 6 months. I try to keep the interior pristine since that's what I have to look at most of the time.
The following users liked this post:
EJC (10-16-17)
Old 10-16-17, 01:28 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Man, that white pearl looks fantastic.. great job.. a lot of work I know but the end result makes it a satisfying process.... I've always liked white pearl or diamond white ( gm products ) vehicle.. really classy look... I see you're a fan of chemical guys products.. good stuff from what I've read.. personally I've been using McQuires or Mothers products for most of my cars.. Our matador red ES came out looking nice after the last time she was detailed. I'm getting too old to detail cars.
Attached Thumbnails It was a gorgeous day for detailing-img_6597_2.jpg  
Old 10-16-17, 04:56 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Poppa
Man, that white pearl looks fantastic.. great job.. a lot of work I know but the end result makes it a satisfying process.... I've always liked white pearl or diamond white ( gm products ) vehicle.. really classy look... I see you're a fan of chemical guys products.. good stuff from what I've read.. personally, I've been using McQuires or Mothers products for most of my cars. Our matador red ES came out looking nice after the last time she was detailed. I'm getting too old to detail cars.
I just started to switch to Chem Guys this past spring. I was very happy with the results I got from MeGuiar's but the change took it up a notch and I've been very happy with the results.
I also have a '10 IS-F in Matador Red. These products work just as well on the red.
This picture was pre Chem Guys. You can see why I had my doubts about switching products.

Old 10-17-17, 09:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
That's pretty much why I switched to more localized as needed correction.
On a related note, my 2017 ES is the first Lexus that I've had since Lexus started using the self-healing clear coat on its cars a few years ago.

I was skeptical about the value of the self-healing paint, but, after a year with the 2017 ES, I've concluded that it does have some value. That 2017 Obsidian ES came with some minor polishing swirls that were "pre-installed" by the dealership when they were prepping the car. Over time, those minor polishing swirls have disappeared completely. The self-healing process is not instantaneous, but, over the course of several weeks and with exposure to the heat of the sun, it has worked as advertised. My understanding is that the self-healing process can be sped up by applying warm water to the finish when the car is in the sun.

The self-healing will not work to repair scratches that have penetrated through the clear coat, but, for minor surface scratches, it does seem to work.
Old 10-17-17, 03:39 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tire make and size are you running?
Old 10-17-17, 07:45 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
On a related note, my 2017 ES is the first Lexus that I've had since Lexus started using the self-healing clear coat on its cars a few years ago.

I was skeptical about the value of the self-healing paint, but, after a year with the 2017 ES, I've concluded that it does have some value. That 2017 Obsidian ES came with some minor polishing swirls that were "pre-installed" by the dealership when they were prepping the car. Over time, those minor polishing swirls have disappeared completely. The self-healing process is not instantaneous, but, over the course of several weeks and with exposure to the heat of the sun, it has worked as advertised. My understanding is that the self-healing process can be sped up by applying warm water to the finish when the car is in the sun.

The self-healing will not work to repair scratches that have penetrated through the clear coat, but, for minor surface scratches, it does seem to work.
I wasn't aware of this, interesting and good to know.
Old 10-17-17, 07:56 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by user420
What tire make and size are you running?
On the ES350 I just switched tires at 15K miles. I couldn't stand the Bridgestones, way too noisy.
Currently I'm running Yokohama Advan Sport A/S 225/45R18 95W. Inflated 2# over the suggested pressure on the door sticker
The Tires are much quieter than the Bridgestones. Handling is very good. I keep the car in Sport mode and avoid the economy setting. Sport is not a huge change but it tightens things up enough to make driving more enjoyable and less sloppy, especially on long drives. We drive between CT and the Carolinas several times a year, that's just about 1000 miles (rounded up) each way.
Old 10-17-17, 08:22 PM
msyost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well done. Does anyone here have recommendations for a tire dressing? I use Meguiars purple gel and it’s nice, however it splatters everywhere when you drive (even after drying overnight).

I used Trinova plastic and trim restored on the black bottom side of the bumper and it gives it a nice shine.
Old 10-17-17, 08:54 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by msyost
Very well done. Does anyone here have recommendations for a tire dressing? I use Meguiars purple gel and it’s nice, however it splatters everywhere when you drive (even after drying overnight).

I used Trinova plastic and trim restored on the black bottom side of the bumper and it gives it a nice shine.
I really like MeGuiars Ultimate Balck Tire Dressing. It's a bit more expensive but holds up well and I have not experienced sling-back
Here it is on our old '10 ES350

Quick Reply: It was a gorgeous day for detailing