Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Did your aftermarket exhaust quiet down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 06:39 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did your aftermarket exhaust quiet down?

I just installed the new Apexi axle back exhaust on my 2017 IS350 and it is way louder than I was expecting.

For reference, I had a 2015 IS250 with the Invidia catless midpipe and Tanabe axle back and it was not as loud as just this new Apexi axle back. Hard to believe since my older set up had the catless midpipe. I have had exhaust on all of my cars so I am used to having some extra growl.

Did anyone with an IS350 notice that their aftermarket exhaust mellowed out or quiet down after a few weeks of breaking in? I am praying this thing changes sound a little bit or else it is might be going up for sale.

Hopefully someone can share a positive experience with me because I am really up in the air right now. The Exhaust sounds PHENOMENAL, just a little loud when I don't want it to be while cruising.

Thanks
Old 10-11-17, 07:41 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ddvette9
I just installed the new Apexi axle back exhaust on my 2017 IS350 and it is way louder than I was expecting.

For reference, I had a 2015 IS250 with the Invidia catless midpipe and Tanabe axle back and it was not as loud as just this new Apexi axle back. Hard to believe since my older set up had the catless midpipe. I have had exhaust on all of my cars so I am used to having some extra growl.

Did anyone with an IS350 notice that their aftermarket exhaust mellowed out or quiet down after a few weeks of breaking in? I am praying this thing changes sound a little bit or else it is might be going up for sale.

Hopefully someone can share a positive experience with me because I am really up in the air right now. The Exhaust sounds PHENOMENAL, just a little loud when I don't want it to be while cruising.

Thanks
let’s hear it....And let me know if you want to sell....
Old 10-11-17, 09:58 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If anything they only get louder with time. consider selling it for a different one if you are not comfortable with it
Old 10-11-17, 04:49 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks
I'll be glad to take it off your hands if you end up selling. My invidia catback is too quiet for me.
Old 10-11-17, 04:56 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Unless there is non-metallic packing inside, mufflers don't "break in".
You get used to the noise.
I agree with this. Owned so many exhaust over the years and have yet to find one that actually got quiet after a awhile. Usually you get use to the noise or consider adding a resonator to your midpipe. If The axle back allows it you could also try adding a silencer to your muffler.
Old 10-12-17, 06:40 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

https://frsport.com/Super-Silencer-f...hoCrJsQAvD_BwE
Old 10-13-17, 09:21 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Guess its time to order the Tanabe OP...

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-13-17, 12:07 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Guess its time to order the Tanabe OP...

-Josh
for 17?.......
Old 10-14-17, 12:42 PM
whiteis33
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

OP if you want to trade let me know! I have the Invidia axle back and its too quiet for me with the midpipe lol.
Old 10-17-17, 10:27 AM
LexusKJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey ddvette9, I too just finished installing the new Apexi axle back on my 2017 IS350 over the weekend and have the same exact thoughts.

I was shocked at how loud this is for just being an axle back. For reference I used to have an Accord with full RSR exhaust, and my brother has a full exhaust system with a borla axle back on his Accord V6 manual, he was just as shocked as I was at how loud it can get. I have an Invidia midpipe sitting in my attic that I was going to pair with this, but after reading your post I figured let me just install the axle back first and see if it's really that loud. The drone from 1900 - 2500 rpm is just too much for me to have for my daily driver, and I drive up a lot of hills for my commute so that doesn't help. Minus the drone, the exhaust sounds wonderful, and looks great!

I was looking into those Apexi silencers you put in the tips, but they don't make one specific for the N1 Evolution X design. I might end up putting the stock mufflers back on until I can figure something out, I just can't see myself daily driving with these. But it sounds so great during WOT. Maybe using the Apexi ECV might be an option, or just wait till someone makes another exhaust option for the 2017 that isn't so loud, idk.
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (10-17-17)
Old 10-27-17, 07:16 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

My Apexi Exhaust is going up for sale soon. Too loud for me and the wife. If you want a loud axle back, this is it.
Old 10-28-17, 03:18 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

My Apexi Exhaust is going up for sale soon. Too loud for me and the wife. If you want a loud axle back, this is it.
Let me know when its sold and you're ready for the replacement.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-28-17, 06:09 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Let me know when its sold and you're ready for the replacement.

-Josh
and what is that?
Old 11-21-17, 02:11 PM
Array
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also praying that my Ark GRiP quiets down or I get used to it, otherwise I'm also selling...Best of luck man
Old 01-25-18, 02:56 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

My exhaust is now up for sale in the classified section for anyone interested

Quick Reply: Did your aftermarket exhaust quiet down?