IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Car died at the track, P0162D and P0162E codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 06:28 AM
mrfurlly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car died at the track, P0162D and P0162E codes

So, like the title states, car died last night at the track. Was coming off of a chicane then a tight right onto a long straight...died coming onto the straight. Basically the car just shut off, nothing broke and nothing leaking. It would not start again, just kept turning over. Had to be towed back to the pits. Checked the codes once back and had two, P0162D and P0162E. Those are fuel injector bank1 and fuel injector bank2 codes. There was a tech at the track and once he saw the codes he suggested it was just fuel sloshing, engine got starved and went into limp...clear the codes and it should be fine. Which I did and indeed the car fired right back up. Odd thing now was there was a system headlight message showing. After turning the car off and restarting that went away.
I've been searching the forum trying to find someone who had a similar issue but I've not found anything. I did come across a diagram of the fuel tank in these cars and that leads me to believe that fuel sloshing should not be an issue. Guess I should state that I was 1 bar under half a tank when this happened. Another diagnosis was that I had some bad gas. This is the one I would like to believe. Being Canadian I normally only run Shell 91 or Sunoco 94 (now PetroCan94), but I did top half the tank off at Canadian Tire on my way to the track (still 91). I really think this was the issue but am curious if anyone, specifically those that track their f, have come across a similar scenario.
Some extra info about the car during the lapping...was not running too hot. Maybe at 3/4 or a bar above? This was my first event with new tires, michelin pss. The last 2 track events I went to I was running michelin ps as/3, don't judge it was all I had. The car did feel like it was hesitant on few corner exists. I just assumed it was from being in the wrong gear (was in auto shift). Car was in sport mode but traction control was still on...only my 3rd track day, still a little nervous to unleash it
Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
Old 09-29-17, 08:30 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It happened to me once on the skid pad. No codes and the car started right back up. Never happened again though.
The following users liked this post:
Justind27 (05-06-21)
Old 09-29-17, 08:45 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

We have 91 in California.. And I've run a session down to the reserve fuel (I know not smart..). Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Justind27 (05-06-21)
Old 09-29-17, 04:19 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

This is weird as the ISF has a swirl pot to stop fuel starvation under high g force, sounds like bad fuel run a good injector cleaner good luck
Old 09-29-17, 06:08 PM
mrfurlly
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I'll be back for another track day in a couple weeks, guess I'll know more then.
Old 10-01-17, 06:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
We have 91 in California.. And I've run a session down to the reserve fuel (I know not smart..). Hope this helps.
Same here on the 93 we have here in the south. Never once have I had the engine stall from low fuel level at the track even with the reserve light on.
Old 10-02-17, 07:17 AM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing listed in infostream for those two codes. unless if your local i can give it a scan for previous codes
Old 10-02-17, 02:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by fivesevenn
Nothing listed in infostream for those two codes. unless if your local i can give it a scan for previous codes
This is correct. No hits for anything in Techstream for any Lexus ever made.

If it's actually P062D and P062E, then it's a wiring problem. Fuel level has nothing to do with these DTCs.
Old 10-02-17, 03:24 PM
mrfurlly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is correct. No hits for anything in Techstream for any Lexus ever made.

If it's actually P062D and P062E, then it's a wiring problem. Fuel level has nothing to do with these DTCs.
I'm not thinking fuel level either but are you alluding to possible loose connections?
The car has been trouble free since, unable to see the code that was cleared but p062d is what I did a search for from my obd app. Would connecting to techstream be able to shed some light as far as what was happening in the car when the code was generated? Is this data actually stored? If so, for how long?
Old 10-02-17, 03:26 PM
mrfurlly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fivesevenn
I'm in London, is that local? What scanner do you have access to?
Old 10-02-17, 07:27 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

stored codes are always going to be stored in the system, unless a full battery disconnect or using techstream to erase previous codes. (i have seen some people who use aftermarket scanners to erase and codes are still stored)
im using the Techstream app/Panasonic laptop from the dealer.

P062D
INJ1 and INJ2 signals are not input for 60 consecutive revolutions (1 trip detection logic)

Faults:
Open or short in injector driver (No. 1, 2) circuit
  • Injector driver (No. 1, 2)
  • Fuel injector for direct injection
  • Engine room No. 2 relay block
  • ECM
Old 10-22-17, 06:33 AM
mrfurlly
Driver School Candidate

Just a follow up on this.

Hit the track again this past Friday, no issues. Was running just as hard as the day when the problem happened, perhaps even a little harder since I had some better pads. Had the tank as low as 1/4 full, still no issues. Really thinking this was a batch of bad gas.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.
Old 10-22-17, 02:06 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for the follow up, too many people get there problems fixed and don't tell the forum
Old 05-04-21, 11:58 PM
neomacz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the track with my IS, and on the turn it died. Got it towed to the pit and home since the engine will die after 30 seconds. I scanned it with the reader and get the code below

Anyone have seen this code before? My 09 IS350’s engine stalled and stopped when I hit gas pedal. The local shop quoted me $2000 for replacing high pressure fuel pump. Just want to make sure I am not paying for something not related to the issue.
Old 05-05-21, 09:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I would do a lot of troubleshooting before assuming it's the HPFP. Failures of those have not been posted here ever. I'm sure it could happen, but I'd want to check some things first. You'd definitely see a low fuel pressure DTC if one of the HPFPs went bad.

Quick Reply: Car died at the track, P0162D and P0162E codes