ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Brake Pedal Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 08:33 PM
Etep
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Noise

Hello. I purchased a 2015 CPO in July 2017 with 38k miles. Maybe a month into driving it, I noticed a "clicking" noise when I press on the brake pedal. The noise is intermittent but occurs daily. I took it the dealer and was told they could not replicate the problem. I was informed that it may be the "settling/shifting" of the brake/calipers. They checked the brake pads and said they're brand new. Long story short, the "clicking" noise still exist. I know there is an issue here as I am the one that drives and hears this noise but Lexus dealer said otherwise. Should I take it to the dealership that sold me the car? I mean, it is not normal to hear a clicking noise when the brake pedal is pressed. It maybe a safety issue and borderline annoying as well.
Old 09-25-17, 09:02 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Might be easier to record the noise and then play it to the technician. Ask for the mechanic to hear it when you meet the service advisor. Also, if you can post the recording here, it might help diagnose. If the brake pads were recently changed, the caliper pin might not be sitting in correctly.
Old 09-26-17, 10:32 AM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Check this out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...n-braking.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-noise.html
Old 09-26-17, 11:22 AM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If the clicking noise is only intermittent and usually happens after the car was parked and mostly when going in reverse, then it is probably normal. Multiple people have reported hearing this on the ES 350 and ES 300h. It is probably part of the brake design. Of course I am assuming here that the brakes otherwise perform well and no squealing noise.
Old 09-27-17, 07:45 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I've noticed that clicking also on mine also, it seems to be the pedal hardware inside the car, like some sort of hinge that just has a little play in it. Mine is pretty infrequent. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.
Old 09-25-19, 03:34 PM
anaab
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2018 ES 350 only does it when backing up at low speed. The pedal has to be fully released then depressed again for the click to repeat. Looks like there are similar reports across various platforms and years so it appears to be a design issue.

It's disappointing for such a high end vehicle to have this as a "normal condition". I'm not happy with the explanation but I guess I have no choice but to accept the dealer's explanation.
Old 09-25-19, 04:33 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Mine does it as well. Loud click when applying in reverse. I hate noisy brake hardware. I am going to dis-assemble mine and try new shims or apply some grease. Damn shame......
Old 09-26-19, 05:44 AM
anaab
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer reply

Just got a callback from the dealer, after I “debated” the issue with the service advisor he spoke with the manager and they are going to apply the magic paste that is supposed to help (they originally wanted $150 for that) for free.
He tells me (on a non recorded call) that they are required to offer that service out of warranty unless the customer resists.
i didn’t really ***** but made it clear that I thought a vehicle in this price class shouldn’t have these kinds of issues.