LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Someone backed into my LS and almost hit-and-run

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 07:49 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Someone backed into my LS and almost hit-and-run

I was having lunch last Thursday, 9/21/2017, and when I returned to my car there was a note on the windshield. The driver of a 2013 Mazda Miata had backed into my driver's side rear door. Sigh. While I'm reading the note, two parking lot security attendants at the Bel Air begin approaching me and told me they witnessed the accident. They proceeded to tell me that the lady was about to drive off but they stopped her and took photos of her driver's license, license plate, and insurance declaration page with their company iPad. One of the security guards actually started the note and had the responsible party fill out the rest and leave it on my windshield. I owe a debt of gratitude to those two security patrol personnel and will reward them after this is all taken care of. The lady's insurance policy declaration page was outdated but it won't affect my coverage.

My dashcam recorded the Miata's license plate as I pulled into the adjacent parking spot, but really it would have been difficult to prove fault with that. I am extremely lucky for the two security guard/witnesses for their awareness and quick action. Not only were they paying attention, but they actually decided to get involved and do a tremendous job! They could have just looked the other way with a "not my problem" mentality. Since I have witnesses, the note admits fault, and my car was not-moving, I will not have to pay our $1000 deductible, even if it turns out she's uninsured. However, if it was a hit-and-run, then I would be out $1000, plus needing to deal with repairing my door. Fortunately, our Farmers policy will still reimburse us $50 per day that the car is in the shop, even if I do not take out a rental car. I plan to borrow my Dad's LS and put that reimbursement money towards gift cards for those two security guards. I'm not looking to profit from this incident.

A voice inside my head was telling me not to park in the nice shaded spot. In hindsight, I should have backed out and parked across from the Miata in the one other open spot available. I was tight on time and needed to get back to a symposium after lunch and just didn't take the extra step to protect my car. As I first exited my car, I took a photo of the Miata, as I'm wont to do each time I suspect something possibly happening due to a careless parking space neighbor. Really, this is my fault for taking an avoidable risk as I usually park far away from other cars. That day, I got lazy and impatient and suffered the consequences. I still thought the other driver had sufficient space if they had just paid attention to straightening out their crooked parking. I did wonder though that "if this driver isn't careful, they are going to back right into my door". I thought a small, maneuverable Miata would be able to back out safely, but it all depends on the driver. I had also thought that maybe the Miata could just pull forward if the space in front of it remains empty. All of these thoughts processed in my mind in the span of 10 seconds as I closed my car door, took a quick snapshot, and rushed to get lunch. My only saving grace is the fact of those two security guards that decided to step in and prevent a hit-and-run. They literally saved me $1000.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 09-25-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 08:56 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The vengeful part of me would want to see that person charged for attempted hit and run. Thank goodness for the parking lot security attendants!

I hope your car is soon fixed and brought back to its prior condition. You might want to see if it's possible to prevent this damage from getting reported to places like Carfax.
Old 09-25-17, 09:18 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gbp
The vengeful part of me would want to see that person charged for attempted hit and run. Thank goodness for the parking lot security attendants!

I hope your car is soon fixed and brought back to its prior condition. You might want to see if it's possible to prevent this damage from getting reported to places like Carfax.

Thank you, Gbp. I was pretty frustrated at first but also am kicking myself for not listening to that inner voice. There have been a number of times I have ignored that inner voice. Maybe I should really start listening to it more.

May be hard to see in the photo but there is a dent along with the scratch and I'm not sure how this type of damage gets repaired. I hope not Bondo. In the grand scheme of things, it is relatively minor and a far cry from fellow members that were in some horrific crashes and impacts.

It would be difficult for me to prove she intended to leave the scene. It would be the word of the security attendants against hers and I can imagine her defense being that she was merely moving away to park and better assess the damages. My wife looked up the driver on Facebook and sadly it seems like the driver is either fighting or recovering from cancer. After learning that, I didn't want to know any more details. I would be a lot more upset if I had to shell out a deductible for this, but my insurance will take care of everything and it will be zero out of my pocket (thanks to the security staff) and I only hope she has insurance on her side to help with her own situation and finances.

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly but, for now, I'm okay if it gets reported and shows up on the car's history. I plan to keep the LS a very long time. If, and when, we sell it I would share everything with the buyer anyways, just like I've done in past private sales. This lesson heightens my paranoia and reminds me not to be so careless in my future parking space choices. The next time I may not have parking patrol to bail me out.
Old 09-25-17, 09:39 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story. Sorry about your damage, but big thanks for the lesson to always park far from the madding crowd.
It's much better to get wet in the rain or sweaty from the sun than to have heartache about your car (and better for you too to get some exercise).
Parking close and putting your car at risk should be one of the 7 deadly sins.
Or something Biblical like Thou Shall Park way out in the North Forty.
Old 09-26-17, 03:23 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

It’s those split second decisions that cost you sometimes. Seeing how that Miata is parked I would’ve probably chosen to park somewhere else. I park in a fairly big parking garage everyday at work and even if I’m late I try to find the nicest, best parked cars to park next to. Good thing the guards were vigilant and stepped in for you. Good luck.
Old 09-26-17, 04:06 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

thanks for sharing. That miata is taking 2 parking spots.

btw, the scratch on your LS rear door does not seem very serious.
Old 09-26-17, 07:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree with Texas.....Looks like a lot of the scuffs will buff out. Any dents?
Old 09-26-17, 09:01 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
A voice inside my head was telling me not to park in the nice shaded spot. In hindsight, I should have backed out and parked across from the Miata in the one other open spot available. I was tight on time and needed to get back to a symposium after lunch and just didn't take the extra step to protect my car. As I first exited my car, I took a photo of the Miata, as I'm wont to do each time I suspect something possibly happening due to a careless parking space neighbor. Really, this is my fault for taking an avoidable risk as I usually park far away from other cars. That day, I got lazy and impatient and suffered the consequences.
Hi Fto1, very sorry to hear about the door dent and scratch. I guess you just chalk this incident down to "lesson learned". It's tempting to pull in to a risky spot in a time crunch, but sxxt happens. With almost two years driving an LS, I have gotten very good at finding those perfect end spots, and hugging the curb to minimize the risk of bumps. Looks like the damage is pretty minor and your car should be back looking perfect in no time.

Here's a thread on parking tips that I found useful!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-strategy.html
Old 09-26-17, 10:23 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Judging from the picture, that damage is easily PDR-able (PDR=Paintless Dent Removal). This is the far preferred method as it keeps the paint intact and is far less invasive.
Old 09-26-17, 10:43 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

well better ask for diminished resell value as it will show up on carfax as being in accident, some buyers pass on stuff like this when it comes time to sell.
Old 09-26-17, 10:45 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by texas008
thanks for sharing. That miata is taking 2 parking spots.

btw, the scratch on your LS rear door does not seem very serious.
Originally Posted by roadfrog
I agree with Texas.....Looks like a lot of the scuffs will buff out. Any dents?
Compeletely agree, it is very minor indeed. And that is what bugs me too, that it is such a small dent and scratch but enough to warrant attention and fixing -- not that I want greater damage.

Originally Posted by Tec80
Judging from the picture, that damage is easily PDR-able (PDR=Paintless Dent Removal). This is the far preferred method as it keeps the paint intact and is far less invasive.
That would be awesome if they can repair and preserve the original paint, Tec. Thanks, I'll ask them about it next week.
Old 09-26-17, 10:53 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Fto1, very sorry to hear about the door dent and scratch. I guess you just chalk this incident down to "lesson learned". It's tempting to pull in to a risky spot in a time crunch, but sxxt happens. With almost two years driving an LS, I have gotten very good at finding those perfect end spots, and hugging the curb to minimize the risk of bumps. Looks like the damage is pretty minor and your car should be back looking perfect in no time.

Here's a thread on parking tips that I found useful!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-strategy.html
Thank you, comotiger, I remember reading through that great parking thread too. What also bugs me though is when you find a sweet spot, isolated from everyone else, and then you come back to your car and there's a big ole' truck or other car parked right next to yours when there is clearly other spaces available. My wife says the LS seems to attract other cars. I think I've posted a few times where I've parked in no-man's land, only to return and find a neighbor in the adjacent spot when they could have parked one space over and given both cars more personal space. I don't have the fortitude to straddle two parking spaces, lol.
Old 09-26-17, 11:03 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by lextout
well better ask for diminished resell value as it will show up on carfax as being in accident, some buyers pass on stuff like this when it comes time to sell.
Had a chuckle because I couldn't tell how serious you are, lextout. I know, it'll look bad on paper or vehicle history but I know the car and I know it is good. We won't be parting with this LS anytime soon, unless something catastrophic happens and we're forced to, so I'm not too concerned about resale value. I will do better about my future parking choices and continue to care and maintain the LS as best I can. Years from now, if someone else passes on our LS due to that accident, without asking to learn the details, then that is their loss. If I do post an ad in the future, I will clearly state the nature of that accident, just like how I detailed an accident our Sienna was involved in where I was at a standstill in rush-hour traffic on the freeway. A third car hit the car behind me and pushed it sideways toward the left lane. The driver of the hit car then tries to veer back into the original lane he was in but manages to slowly drift towards me and taps my driver's door, leaving a small dent. I included all of that, with photos, in our Sienna ad and the family that bought it didn't dwell on the accident. Actually, they were surprised to find our Sienna for sale because every other Sienna/Odyssey they looked at, at the time, was in worse condition and they really appreciated how well we took care of the minivan, inside and out, so they drove 1.5 hrs from the Bay Area to inspect and later buy the minivan.

Sorry, such a long reply to say, nah I'm not concerned about resale. I just regret the LS took the hit due to a choice I made.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 09-26-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 04:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

If I cant find a corner spot, or a spot away from everyone I don't park at all
Old 09-26-17, 05:15 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha ha, I kind of miss the beater-cars I used to own for having no worries about where I parked. [My 14 year old Benz E320 that I sold a few months ago.]

Quick Reply: Someone backed into my LS and almost hit-and-run