Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 01:26 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)

Just picked this unicorn up, it's a factory base model sc300. it's a slick top with no sunroof, has cloth seats (which are different than the soarer's, it's got it's own specific herringbone cloth), a vinyl steering wheel, shifter, and ebrake handle, manual tilt and telescoping column. and it's a clean title no accident car, not perfect... but it's got lot's of potential. Not really sure what I want to do with it... part of me wants to restore it to original and make it a museum piece... the other part of me wants to make it a lhd soarer basically.
Attached Thumbnails My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9896.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9898.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9902.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9915.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9912.jpg  

Old 09-24-17, 01:29 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

ten charrrrr
Attached Thumbnails My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9904.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9905.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9906.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9907.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9908.jpg  

My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9914.jpg  
Old 09-24-17, 02:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Never seen that before. That's super rare. Congrats.
Old 09-24-17, 03:10 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Beautiful and rare! Interesting note about the cloth seat fabric being different from cloth fabric in a Soarer-- that's an odd meticulous difference on Toyota's part.

Now that I actually see a factory manual tilt & telescope column I wonder how difficult those parts would be to source and install into a common electric tilt & telescope SC. Probably not very plentiful parts in the U.S. or Canada
Old 09-24-17, 03:53 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Man I have no idea if it would be possible to find those parts. I've only seen a handful of these cars come up for sale in the last ten years... in fact I'm pretty sure I can count the number on one hand. So when I realized what it was I jumped on it.
Old 09-24-17, 04:33 PM
3stars1sun
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen this kind of SC only once while I was on the hunt. Cloth seats and no sunroof. Super low mileage too. Socal Craigslist for $5500 and was advertised by the seller as a very rare California Edition SC300. I was going to check it out but found out the seller was actually a broker who's trying to sell it for the owner that wasn't the registered owner. Being a DMV clerk, I very well know all the risks of dealing with somebody like that so I passed.
Old 09-24-17, 04:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Lots of parts there that few of us have ever laid eyes on.

The black rubber shift **** would be super popular if readily available, both for people wanting to replace ratty leather ***** and those doing black conversions.

The manual steering column would also be a huge improvement over one of the biggest functional wear items in the car. I look at steering column adjustments the same as seat adjustments: they give you slightly finer control, but they slow you down whenever you want to do something, add weight, and are always the first thing to wear out. (Power seat controls with a manual slider would be the perfect balance, IMO, but everyone does it all or nothing.) Unless multiple people are driving the car, they're never really needed, either. It would be an interesting poll of what percentage here would exchange their power column for a manual one. I'm guessing 90% would jump at it.
Old 09-24-17, 08:50 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice pick up!!!
I love the fact that it's as basic auto as they come no sunroof less problems!! Less weight!!! I've never seen a manual steering wheel adjustment on the scs untill just now!!!
i swear I want to delete my sunroof with a trunk panel!!!!
Old 09-24-17, 09:05 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Didn't even make it 12 hrs before I threw coils on it... so much for stock restoration gonna readjust them soon... but I really want to get these hellasunken is300 wheels off this poor car. Gonna go start a build thread for the car to discus maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. Unfortunately I've already had an issue with the car overheating and it has me very worried it has a blown head gasket, if that's the case I'll probably just throw a can of "head gasket fixer" in it and keep my fingers crossed that holds me off long enough to save up and pick up a 1jz for the car. Also... I need to get this HORRENDOUS door trim and the mud guards off asap, will take care of that in the next few days.
Attached Thumbnails My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9928.jpg  
Old 09-24-17, 09:07 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Also, if anyone would like updates on things a little faster, check out my instagram: @because_ricecar. alright, time to go start a build thread.

Last edited by maynanator; 09-26-17 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 09:24 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Default That weird lexus that no one even knew was a thing, build thread

Hey guys, just picked up a bit of a Unicorn: a 92 sc300 BASE model. So no sunroof, cloth interior, manual tilt and telescoping column, vinyl steering wheel, shifter, and e brake, and did I mention no sun roof? (yay headroom!!!) So, I figured I'd start a build thread to chronicle everything that will happen with this car. First will be assessing the state of the car and making a short list to fix all the problems. I've already thrown on some tein coilovers... because looks are everything and cool cars > running cars . First things first, I know it's gonna need a full brake job, cooling system fixes (or possibly even dealing with what may be a blown headgasket ) then the interior needs a little sorting. From there I'll start with what spare upgrades I have laying around from my other sc after many iterations of that car. Eventually the plan is to boost the car (whether that be na-t or dropping a 1jz in) throwing the w58 I have in my garage in the car, and having all the fun in the world... from there, who knows?!? Also, if you like this build, please go follow me on instagram (@because_ricecar) *I'll follow back!!! *
Attached Thumbnails My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9928.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9898.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9914.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9915.jpg  

Last edited by maynanator; 09-26-17 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 09:25 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Here's some photos of details of the car, showing the vinyl steering wheel, the vinyl e brake handle and shifter, the manual tilt and telescope, and the cloth which is unique to the us spec base model sc's and not the same as the soarers.
Attached Thumbnails My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9901.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9902.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9904.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9905.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9906.jpg  

My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9907.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9908.jpg   My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)-img_9914.jpg  

Last edited by maynanator; 09-24-17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 09:26 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Reserved for photos 2
Old 09-24-17, 10:26 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow I have never seen a super base model like that before! Nice find!!
Old 09-24-17, 11:04 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Wow, I never knew manual steering column was even a thing. I ran into a mint condition 92 SC400 hardtop with cloth seats before when I was at a gas station, so I knew that existed.

Quick Reply: My New Unicorn! Base model sc300 (no sunroof and factory cloth seats)