GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2019... the year of the redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 12:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts
Default 2019... the year of the redesign?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/lots-...xt-four-years/

Japan’s Toyota on a tear

Toyota will replace 85 percent of its lineup over the next four years, including all the biggies. The 2019 model-year launches include the RAV4, 4Runner, Avalon, and Yaris as well as Lexus GX, ES, and CT hatchback. For 2020, look for a new Highlander, Land Cruiser, Sienna minivan, and Corolla as well as Lexus LX, GS, IS, and NX midsize crossover. Then for 2021 is a new Tundra and Sequoia, as well as the Prius and Lexus RC coupe.
Old 09-23-17, 02:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

If so, that works for me as a long time owner and buy 2-3 year old cars. If it still has the swing gate I will deal with it for the reliability. More power please....

Oh, and update the dashboard along with no more silver paint that scratches easily.
Old 09-23-17, 08:17 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope the redesigned GX will be a crossover with v6tt and a rear liftgate. The Germans totally own this market now.
Old 09-23-17, 09:09 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

To the naysayers on this and the LX Forum twin turbos are coming face it. Look for a the same tt in the new LS to show up in the gx. Lx will likely get the v8 version of current lc gsf and rcf with turbos.
Old 09-23-17, 09:35 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

2021 for the Tundra--my god that thing needed a redo ages ago lol
Old 09-24-17, 08:08 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

One of the main reasons we went with the GX that it is a conventional SUV not one those light city SUVs most manufactures lately. We checked many models and the only ones we likes was the GX and the Infinity QX80. If we bough the QX I would have had to remove the shelves from our garage to make it fit so we went with the GX. It is a keeper, we'll drive it until it falls apart.
The following users liked this post:
Oldmanb777 (02-24-18)
Old 09-24-17, 11:48 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just my opinion... :-)

I was also attracted to the old school motor and solid BOF of the GX..... surely a redesign with lots of tech, power and built on a unibody chassis will probably sell well. However..not a vehicle I am interested in but many others will buy. Granted last turbo car I had was from the mid 80's with lots of problems. I will say I have never seen a manufacturer add a turbo to improve engine longevity or reliability of a motor. Turbo replacements will probably offer up an uptick in work for repair shops and will fill the waning need for timing belt replacements (except for Honda V6's).

Last edited by Acrad; 09-24-17 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 12:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I haven't looked into this so I ask. What Lexus model has a turbo or twin turbo? Are they reliable? I have no problem with Turbos and would welcome one on my V8. A V6 twin turbo may become quite costly with 100k miles on it.
Old 09-24-17, 12:19 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

'18 LS is supposed to have one

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/l...-v8-65256.html
Old 09-24-17, 01:59 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I’m an active member at GS section and there are many rumors that Lexus is discontinuing GS specially cas the number of vehicles sold is too low and the new LS having a V6 turbo engine.
Old 09-25-17, 09:52 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I haven't looked into this so I ask. What Lexus model has a turbo or twin turbo? Are they reliable? I have no problem with Turbos and would welcome one on my V8. A V6 twin turbo may become quite costly with 100k miles on it.
Actually quite a few Lexus (Lexi?) are offered with turbos....NX, IS, GS, LS.
The following users liked this post:
tecman (09-25-17)
Old 09-25-17, 09:58 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I €™m an active member at GS section and there are many rumors that Lexus is discontinuing GS specially cas the number of vehicles sold is too low and the new LS having a V6 turbo engine.
As you know I still frequent that forum also. One of those reasons makes sense and the other does not. I have read that Lexus says they are going to offer more SUVs and less cars, and that was a direct quote from a Lexus Executive. I would not be surprised if they drop it for the reason that does make sense.
Old 09-25-17, 10:25 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm guessing the next GX will unfortunately just be a bigger RX type vehicle. A car based CUV. That's what the soccer moms want.

The new upcoming federal CAFE rules unless changed are basically going to make old school SUVs like our current GX a thing of the past.
Old 09-25-17, 10:31 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Just my opinion... :-)

I was also attracted to the old school motor and solid BOF of the GX..... surely a redesign with lots of tech, power and built on a unibody chassis will probably sell well. However..not a vehicle I am interested in but many others will buy. Granted last turbo car I had was from the mid 80's with lots of problems. I will say I have never seen a manufacturer add a turbo to improve engine longevity or reliability of a motor. Turbo replacements will probably offer up an uptick in work for repair shops and will fill the waning need for timing belt replacements (except for Honda V6's).

I would agree on all counts.

And the fuel economy gains from turbo motors are pretty menial compared to a larger displacement engine, especially in real world driving. Ford owners have complained about this with the EcoBoost motor in their F-150s. They show a great EPA number, but the actual results are just like 1-2 mpg better for a vastly more complex motor. They've already had to do a recall on it. Not worth the driving dynamics or the maintenance down the line.

I will say the Mercedes GL has a really nice twin turbo motor, but I would not want to own that that thing outside of a factory warranty.
Old 09-26-17, 11:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I'm guessing the next GX will unfortunately just be a bigger RX type vehicle. A car based CUV. That's what the soccer moms want.

The new upcoming federal CAFE rules unless changed are basically going to make old school SUVs like our current GX a thing of the past.
Lexus will make a 3rd row RX so they have the soccer mom dept. covered.
As for the upcoming new GX...

Quick Reply: 2019... the year of the redesign?