RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

hud and triple beam worth it ?? 450h

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 05:19 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts
Default hud and triple beam worth it ?? 450h

say, looking for a 17 450h and it seems the adaptive bi-led are everywhere with no hud. the hud and triple beam are a more rare option on a more rare vehicle.
going to the 350, no problem, tons of color combinations with those options.
my current vehicle has a hud and its nice, but the other doesn't and i can still get from a-b, lol
if my local dealer tracks down a black interior, hud with triple beam, the discount could be substantially less than if i purchased 1 from their stock,

the 450h was very nice with the cvt, super smooth, should i consider dropping to a gas, or remove the 2 options, or continue the quest, thanks so much for the time!!
thinking of paying cash for purchase, could do a 3 year lease, with purchase at the end too ??
Old 09-22-17, 05:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Worth it? Only you can decide that.
Old 09-22-17, 05:46 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
Worth it? Only you can decide that.
i have never seen the triple beam in action, day or night, the hud could be nice,
was trying to get a bit of insight pre purchase, the 2 options are 2k, plus trying to track one down, transportation, less discount possibly, as optioned they are 64k or a tick under.
Old 09-22-17, 06:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
i have never seen the triple beam in action, day or night, the hud could be nice,
was trying to get a bit of insight pre purchase, the 2 options are 2k, plus trying to track one down, transportation, less discount possibly, as optioned they are 64k or a tick under.
You said there are several 350's with the option, so I assumed you've already checked it out. If it were me, I would go with the triple beam, just for the looks.
Old 09-22-17, 06:12 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
You said there are several 350's with the option, so I assumed you've already checked it out. If it were me, I would go with the triple beam, just for the looks.
got ya, i have seen them on the lot, just not on or in action, day or night. they do look cool though,
the 2 options might cost 4-6k more possibly, with potentially lost discounts, and shipping. (guessing here)
Old 09-22-17, 06:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

A lot of whether the triple beam headlights are "worth it" depends on whether your priority is actual headlight performance or whether it is a "cool factor".

According to the testing done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the performance of the triple beam headlights on the RX with regard to distance and angle for which there is illumination was only rated as "marginal". The performance of the bi-led headlights with adaptive lighting, on the other hand, got a higher "acceptable" rating.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2017
The following users liked this post:
JSracer (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 06:46 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have the HUD and find it useful. I just had my car in for a few days and the loaner did not have it...I guess I use it more than I realize as I miss it when it's not there. Depends if you want/need it. I would get it again if I had to decide.

I have the triple beams and don't care what any highway authority rates it. The lights are good for night driving, I have no issues with them being rated marginal. These are probably the same people that say other positive things about the car that I feel are questionable. Lighting is not an issue for me, and I have tinted windows. Also the little side/turning lights that come on are great when going around corners.

As I learned many years ago, if you compromise on something you want/need, you will have to live with that decision for a some period of time. I like shopping with my wife cause she reminds me not to settle for something other than what you went shopping for in the first place. I think the real reason is she doesn't want to hear me whine for a few years....lol

Your dealer should be able to offer the same deal as one on their lot...If they say they can't the difference should only be $200 more...If not they are not telling you the truth. I have done it many times. In fact my last Lexus was priced out, deal done, and the sales manager didn't know it had been sold that morning. He just got me another one from another dealer...same price.
The following 3 users liked this post by FastFord:
elimmigran (09-22-17), ggebhardt (09-24-17), JSracer (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 07:02 AM
JSracer
Instructor

thanks FastFord, the shipping would be from over 500 miles away i believe, closer to 1k or 1500 miles i was told.
good to know though, and thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Old 09-22-17, 07:05 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by JSracer
thanks FastFord, the shipping would be from over 500 miles away i believe, closer to 1k or 1500 miles i was told.
good to know though, and thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Oh yea, that's some shipping. I was lucky and it was in the same city....big difference.
Old 09-22-17, 07:21 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord

I have the triple beams and don't care what any highway authority rates it. The lights are good for night driving, I have no issues with them being rated marginal. These are probably the same people that say other positive things about the car that I feel are questionable. Lighting is not an issue for me, and I have tinted windows. Also the little side/turning lights that come on are great when going around corners.
Whether or not the performance differences between different types of headlights is significant depends to a large extent on where you are likely to be doing most of your driving.

If you are doing most of your nighttime driving in urban areas with well let roads, you are not likely to see a significant difference between one type of headlight and another. On the other hand, if you do most of your nighttime driving on unlit and unmarked rural roads where you have to be alert to the possibility of an animal jumping out in front of you at any time, differences with regard to how far and how wide the headlights project can be critical.

My 2013 ES had HID low beams and halogen high beams. The 2017 ES that I got about a year ago has bi-led headlights. The first time when I drove the 2017 ES home from the dealer at night on unlit and unmarked roads, I immediately noticed that the headlights didn't seem to be projecting as well as did the headlights on the 2013 ES. At first, I thought I was just imagining that the headlights on the 2017 didn't perform as well as those on the 2013. A few months later, I came across the IIHS website and read about their testing for ES headlights. Their results indicated that the LED low beams on the 2017 did not project as well as the HID low beams on the 2013, and the LED high beams on the 2017 did not project as well as the halogen high beams on the 2013.

Yes, the bi-LED lights on my 2017 look "cooler" than the HID low and halogen high beam lights on the 2013 ES, but there is a difference in performance that is important for the kind of driving that I do, and my perception of the performance difference is completely consistent with the results of the IIHS testing. Therefore, I'm not inclined to be so quick to dismiss those results.
The following users liked this post:
JSracer (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 07:22 AM
JSracer
Instructor

yep, the swip swap, getting one, sending 1, price difference, all that good stuff.
if those options were local, it would be much easier to decide. Hud would be for sure, they stock 10 450s, non with hud.
Old 09-22-17, 08:23 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the HUD and find it useful. I just had my car in for a few days and the loaner did not have it...I guess I use it more than I realize as I miss it when it's not there. Depends if you want/need it. I would get it again if I had to decide.

As I learned many years ago, if you compromise on something you want/need, you will have to live with that decision for a some period of time. I like shopping with my wife cause she reminds me not to settle for something other than what you went shopping for in the first place. I think the real reason is she doesn't want to hear me whine for a few years....lol

Your dealer should be able to offer the same deal as one on their lot...If they say they can't the difference should only be $200 more...If not they are not telling you the truth. I have done it many times. In fact my last Lexus was priced out, deal done, and the sales manager didn't know it had been sold that morning. He just got me another one from another dealer...same price.
x2

I am going to adjust them up by 1/2 turn to improve overall lighting per this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9986033
Old 09-22-17, 08:35 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by elimmigran
x2

I am going to adjust them up by 1/2 turn to improve overall lighting per this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9986033
Lets us know your thoughts after adjustment....Thanks!
Old 09-22-17, 12:07 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I adjusted mine higher and it made a big difference.

Also, don't forget that with the triple beams you also get a bright LED bar across the front of the headlight as well as the full led turn signal from the back.

The Hud is also worth it because it's an extra screen to display the lane guidelines as well as the speed and the large red BRAKE sign if it comes on.
Old 09-22-17, 12:51 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that with the triple beams they are better than just having LED lights like in my 2014 IS350. The difference at night is noticeable from the driver seat and from oncoming traffic. I like the little side/turning lights also that move when turning.

The one option i do feel is pointless is the Auto High beam feature. Though the setting is turned On it never activates on dark back roads.

Quick Reply: hud and triple beam worth it ?? 450h