ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

key question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 04:07 PM
Alamolady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key question

We haven't had our 2017 ES350 very long, so still learning its features.

When hubby and I go shopping together in a big box store, I usually put my purse in the child seat of the shopping cart, putting the safety strap through the handles for a little security.

Nowadays, however, I'm looking for more purse security. I'd prefer to keep my purse in the trunk while in the store, carrying with me only a credit card in my pocket.

Question is: Does the trunk stay locked with my purse and key in there? Or must I take my key with me to the store?
Obviously I must take the key if I'm by myself, but hubby is with me most of the time now (retired), and has his own key.
Old 09-21-17, 04:28 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

First, congrats on your new ES and welcome to the forum!

Now, while it may be possible to lock your key in the trunk by putting it in some sort of metal box, why not just take it with you? Also, if you plan on locking your purse in the trunk, you should be very careful that no one sees you do it. That's one of the biggest things thieves look for nowadays. Health clubs have seen a huge spike in these types of crimes.
Old 09-21-17, 04:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Alamolady
We haven't had our 2017 ES350 very long, so still learning its features.

Question is: Does the trunk stay locked with my purse and key in there? Or must I take my key with me to the store?
Obviously I must take the key if I'm by myself, but hubby is with me most of the time now (retired), and has his own key.
My first thought was that it would not work, but I just tried it myself, and, with one key in the trunk, I was able to lock the car (and trunk) with the other key, and it would only unlock if used that other key. I was also surprised to see that I could also put one key in the car and similarly lock the car with the other key.
Old 09-21-17, 04:45 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
My first thought was that it would not work, but I just tried it myself, and, with one key in the trunk, I was able to lock the car (and trunk) with the other key, and it would only unlock if used that other key. I was also surprised to see that I could also put one key in the car and similarly lock the car with the other key.
You made me try it on my 2013. It works the same. The only thing is I need to hit the FOB to unlock the doors. The proximity sensor did not work in this situation.
Old 09-21-17, 04:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
Based on some older posts, you first open the trunk, then lock the car doors, place your purse, key fob or whatever in the trunk, then close the trunk, and everything will be locked up with no warning alarms. At least that worked with earlier 6th gen ES.
When I just tried it a few minutes ago, I did not have to follow that sequence of steps. Instead, all I had to do, after putting the one key into the trunk (or cabin), was to press the lock button on the other key.

What I could not do, however, was to use the dimples on the door handles to either lock or unlock the car and trunk with one of the keys inside the trunk or cabin. I could, with one key in the trunk or cabin, only lock or unlock the car or trunk by using the other key.
Old 09-21-17, 04:52 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
You made me try it on my 2013. It works the same. The only thing is I need to hit the FOB to unlock the doors. The proximity sensor did not work in this situation.
Yep. At the same time when you were posting, that is what I was explaining in the 2nd paragraph of my post above.

I believe that the reason why you need to use the fob to unlock the doors or trunk when a key is inside the car is that, if the proximity sensors worked when a key was in the car, you wouldn't be able to have the doors or trunk locked when you were in the car, and anyone could come up to the car when you were stopped at a light and open either the doors or the trunk.
Old 09-21-17, 05:02 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I deleted my first post about using a certain sequence because I tried it on my '14 ES 350 and it didnt work.
Another potential variable is the position of the trunk opener disable button in the glove box.
Old 09-21-17, 05:07 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I deleted my first post about using a certain sequence because I tried it on my '14 ES 350 and it didnt work.
Another potential variable is the position of the trunk opener disable button in the glove box.
Could you not lock a fob in the trunk, using the other key?
Old 09-21-17, 05:11 PM
Alamolady
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful answers.

I feel more comfortable now that I know I can leave my purse and key in the trunk and the car stays locked.

Mike728, I'm going to put the purse in the trunk before leaving home (if I can remember; we're in our 70's!). I would hope, however, a thief would have a hard time getting into my locked trunk even if he knew it had my purse and lots of valuables in it.

Thanks again, everyone! I now know where to get my questions answered. Our last 3 "luxury" cars have been MBZs, and this is our first Lexus. We're learning!
Old 09-21-17, 05:32 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Could you not lock a fob in the trunk, using the other key?
The doors locked but the trunk could be opened using the "release button". I also got the warning beep when I tried locking one key in the trunk with the second key. I have my glove box switch in the enable position if that matters.

I expect it would work if you put the fob to "sleep" before placing it in the trunk.
Old 09-21-17, 05:42 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

The doors locked but the trunk could be opened using the "release button". I also got the warning beep when I tried locking one key in the trunk with the second key. I have my glove box switch in the enable position if that matters.

I expect it would work if you put the fob to "sleep" before placing it in the trunk.
Weird, I can not open the trunk with the trunk button and my switch is on enable. Did you lock the car after the trunk was closed? I'm not sure you even can lock it with it's opened. Do you have a UL? Not sure if that matters, but both lesz and I do, albeit 4 years apart.
Old 09-21-17, 06:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Weird, I can not open the trunk with the trunk button and my switch is on enable. Did you lock the car after the trunk was closed? I'm not sure you even can lock it with it's opened. Do you have a UL? Not sure if that matters, but both lesz and I do, albeit 4 years apart.
I was also wondering whether the difference might be whether or not the car has the power trunk option. In any case, I'd suggest that the OP should try it for herself on her own ES.

I was also thinking that, unless the car has the glass breakage sensor option, if the key is in the trunk, a thief would be able to break a window, enter the car, press the start button, and drive off. Or, if one ever forgot to lock the car, anyone could enter the car, start it, and drive off. Even if the possibility of either of those two things happening was small, I don't think that I'd feel comfortable leaving a key locked in the car or trunk. Even if the risk is small, to me, it wouldn't be worth any possible benefits that might come with leaving the key in the car/trunk.
Old 09-21-17, 06:41 PM
Alamolady
Driver School Candidate

I don't think I have an UL model, as I've never heard of that.

No power trunk option, either.

Next time hubby and I try to figure the car out, I think I'll try leaving my key in the trunk,
sit inside the drivers seat, have hubby lock the car with his key, and see if I can start the car. Good question!

Of course, for my peace of mind, I'm safest just putting my key in my pocket while shopping. I just don't want to bother if I don't have to!
We've never had Proximity Sensors on any cars. Can that feature be disabled so we just push the lock/unlock buttoms as needed?
Old 09-22-17, 07:18 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally think it is unwise to leave the car key in the trunk with a purse.

Should someone break into the car, they have your purse, your ID, your car key (and possibly your house key if it is attached to the keychain for your car).

Seems risky to me.
Old 09-22-17, 07:47 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Nelexus can you explain how to put a fob to sleep?
I'm on the 2IS platform so it may not be applicable but my backup key kills batteries pretty quick like 2mo. I cleaned the little PCBA with IPA as it was dirty from years of pocket grim but it didn't help.
Thanks in a advance.

Quick Reply: key question