RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

getting closer, color choices pros or cons, mica, caviar, Nebula

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 03:19 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts
Default getting closer, color choices pros or cons, mica, caviar, Nebula

Nebula Gray Pearl
Nightfall Mica
Caviar

these are my colors i'm debating, might be flexible based on options im looking for. have to drive the 450, but leaning that direction, because price is close compared to a loaded 350. certainly i don't need every option, but seems each package has a few features i would be interested in,
ok, not interested in straight black, its obviously a tough maintenance color. I live in Minnesota, sand, salt, winter, ugggg. lol the Caviar was what got me to the dealer, seeing on at a hotel parking lot, looked cool, almost dark grey in the sun. not sure if its any easier than black to maintain. The nebula is supposed to be forgiving, not looking dirty all the time, might be an easier color ??
current vehicles are white and a burgundy, the white has a parchment like interior with dark or black accents and carpet, compared to the parchment, i think the black interior would be a good option for us. the burgundy has a 2 tone grey interior that does well and is easy to keep looking good.
i'm a wash by hand 2 bucket guy, winter is much harder, and sometimes touch free or the high end car wash gets used. i have and use a Porter Cable 7424 and an assortment of pads. i am willing to purchase anything needed to help. currently i use duragloss products, with blackfire and others sprinkled in too,

is the blue or caviar a tough color, or some care and its not bad. the blue would be something a tic different from every other car on the road, but not 100% must have. the darker 2 greys aren't bad either. hmm, just not sure. didn't feel like any of the colors really grabbed me.
thanks so very much for any help, i greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-19-17, 04:47 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have the Nebula and it works for me. My black days are behind me as I am just too picky and would rather spend my time doing something else rather than additional detail work. The grey doesn't show the tiny marks as a black would, sort of... I love black colors and think they look great. You sound like you have the wash/dry/polish experience and know what you are getting into.

Since the Caviar is what caught your eye, I suspect that is your first choice. I would go with that if you are prepared to spend a little extra time keeping it how you like. There are also many options to help you keep that color looking it's best and making washing easier. Check out the detail threads for ceramic coatings. Lots of great advice in that section.
Old 09-19-17, 04:59 AM
JSracer
Instructor

thanks for the reply, not sure if the caviar is a pita like a black. leaning towards the blue, but i'm almost 50, not sure what age i should give in to grey (j/k), the nebula seems nice, and less maintenance is a plus.
as far as my detailing, i'm like a 3-6 month weekend warrior, lol
Old 09-19-17, 05:18 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

haha. Caviar is like black lol.

Caviar is a nice blue to it but the question is do you want to be noticed? Also, will that color be a good color for something like resale value?

Nebula is just grey. With the f sport wheels they look amazing. Grey is grey haha. Always stays the same. It's a classic like white.
Old 09-19-17, 05:29 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I gave up on black at 50! Nebula F sport 3. Polishes up nice, blends the plastic fender things...whatever they are called. And looks great with the F sport wheels.

3-6 months weekend warrior....I'd be checking out anything but black. Did you look at the Atomic Silver? I think that's my next choice.
Old 09-19-17, 06:15 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Caviar looks amazing when it's clean and polished. Unfortunately, caviar is hard to keep clean and polished. Depends on how much you enjoy washing your car.
Old 09-19-17, 12:19 PM
mocosguey
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We initially were all in on Nebula, and that was the color the dealer had the most of, but we kept being drawn to Atomic Silver. It takes on so many different colors depending on the light. Can't make a wrong decision imho, except caviar - too tough to clean and shows scratches.

Enjoy!
Old 09-19-17, 01:08 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The reality is that there are both advantages and disadvantages to most colors.

There is no question that black, whether the obsidian or the caviar, shows dust more, and light surface scratches and polishing swirls show up more readily, but those surface scratches and polishing swirls do polish out easily.

For me, as someone who is especially particular about fits and finishes, the big advantage of a non-metallic black, like the obsidian, is that, if any paint work is ever needed, non-metallic blacks are about the only color for which a perfect paint match can easily be achieved, and it can be done with a simple panel-to-panel match. For many of the very popular colors, including light slivers and golds, getting a perfect panel-to-panel match is virtually impossible. And, for the colors that are multi-stage pearls, such as the atomic silver, this is especially true. For those colors, it is often the case that the only way to get an acceptable paint match is to blend the new paint into adjacent panels, and, for those with a discerning eye, even doing that will still yield a less than acceptable result.

I know that, during the time that I own a vehicle, even if I don't have any collision damage, there is a good chance that the car will get a scratch that penetrates the clear coat or will suffer parking lot damage from a shopping cart or the door of another vehicle, and, if there is damage whose only fix involves refinishing, I want to know that I have a color for which the repair will result in a match that is not discernible even to the most discerning eye. For most of the metallic and, especially, the multi-stage pearl colors, even getting a good match when touching up tiny stone nicks is virtually impossible because the metallic flakes in the touch up are not going to be oriented identically to the way that the metallic flakes in the factory finish are oriented.

Thus, it is the case that, while some colors are easier to maintain with regard to the way that they conceal dust and light surface scratches, they can also become the colors for which satisfactory paint repairs, whether major or minor, are the most difficult to achieve.

Also note that the nebula gray pearl is not a true multi-stage pearl. It is, in fact, just a 2-stage metallic, and it is actually one of the easier metallic colors for which to get a satisfactory paint match if repairs are needed.
Old 09-19-17, 05:08 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Thanks so very much for all the feedback and information. Many great points and thoughts, helps a lot.
I knew it was black, was hoping it was less pita black, lol. Doesn't sound like it.
saw a blue one today driving, it was very blue in the sunshine. Hmm

decisions decisions. ....
Old 09-20-17, 04:43 AM
LCTMadison
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSracer
Nebula Gray Pearl
Nightfall Mica
Caviar

these are my colors i'm debating, might be flexible based on options im looking for. have to drive the 450, but leaning that direction, because price is close compared to a loaded 350. certainly i don't need every option, but seems each package has a few features i would be interested in,
ok, not interested in straight black, its obviously a tough maintenance color. I live in Minnesota, sand, salt, winter, ugggg. lol the Caviar was what got me to the dealer, seeing on at a hotel parking lot, looked cool, almost dark grey in the sun. not sure if its any easier than black to maintain. The nebula is supposed to be forgiving, not looking dirty all the time, might be an easier color ??
current vehicles are white and a burgundy, the white has a parchment like interior with dark or black accents and carpet, compared to the parchment, i think the black interior would be a good option for us. the burgundy has a 2 tone grey interior that does well and is easy to keep looking good.
i'm a wash by hand 2 bucket guy, winter is much harder, and sometimes touch free or the high end car wash gets used. i have and use a Porter Cable 7424 and an assortment of pads. i am willing to purchase anything needed to help. currently i use duragloss products, with blackfire and others sprinkled in too,

is the blue or caviar a tough color, or some care and its not bad. the blue would be something a tic different from every other car on the road, but not 100% must have. the darker 2 greys aren't bad either. hmm, just not sure. didn't feel like any of the colors really grabbed me.
thanks so very much for any help, i greatly appreciate it.

I love my Nebula Grey Pearl. Stays pretty clean looking, its my second grey car. Previously had a grey BMW convertible and always like the grey.

I've had a black car before and swore I would NEVER buy one again. They look beautiful once clean....for like a day. Drove me nuts.

Also look at the Atomic Silver....WOW what a beautiful color! Looks amazing in person, I wasn't very keen on it until I saw at the dealership. Just didn't have the interior I wanted (I got the dark brown/black interior) or I would have gone with the Atomic. I'm a Realtor so I have people in and out of my car, and light colored interiors just won't cut it.

My husband's F150 is a true silver, and it always stays very clean looking so that is another good option. His truck also has the chocolate brown leather/black trim and carpet and its always extremely clean looking on the inside (even when its not) so I definitely wanted the darker interior.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 09-20-17 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 05:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,330 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by LCTMadison
I love my Nebula Grey Pearl. Stays pretty clean looking, its my second grey car. Previously had a grey BMW convertible and always like the grey.

I've had a black car before and swore I would NEVER buy one again. They look beautiful once clean....for like a day. Drove me nuts.

Also look at the Atomic Silver....WOW what a beautiful color! Looks amazing in person, I wasn't very keen on it until I saw at the dealership. Just didn't have the interior I wanted (I got the dark brown/black interior) or I would have gone with the Atomic. I'm a Realtor so I have people in and out of my car, and light colored interiors just won't cut it.

My husband's F150 is a true silver, and it always stays very clean looking so that is another good option. His truck also has the chocolate brown leather/black trim and carpet and its always extremely clean looking on the inside (even when its not) so I definitely wanted the darker interior.
The grey is gorgeous - for us it came down to that, white or atomic silver - we ended up with white as we seem to all the time. We actually had the dealer line up all three next to each other before deciding
Old 09-22-17, 01:07 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I own an Obsidian IS350 with tons and i mean tons of swirl marks. With a family and a job that does not leave me much time during the day to fully detail a black car twice a month like before. Sadly auto washes is where my cars get there wash/wax applied. When i purchase my caviar color i was surprised on how well it hides scratches and how the paint always has that shine to it regardless of how dirty it looks.

If you have owned a black car before you should give the caviar color a chance. You still get the black color of a black car but half the maintenance of having to polish, wax and seal every month.

just my .2 cents
Old 09-22-17, 03:50 PM
khenders
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have Cavier

i have the Cavier( purchased Monday). I am surprised that 5 days later , it still looks clean! It looks nasty(a good nasty)! I feel like I have Knight Rider Syndrome! I have never had black, so it is gonna take some getting use to it. My old car was a white GX 470 2007 so I did not mind the car wash. I have heard , never take a new car to the car wash !
Old 09-25-17, 06:37 AM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Caviar is a beautiful color! I love mine!
Old 09-25-17, 01:32 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

CAVIAR!

Quick Reply: getting closer, color choices pros or cons, mica, caviar, Nebula