LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Way less forum traffic for the ls430

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 03:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Way less forum traffic for the ls430

As they say.... nothing lasts forever. I've been a member of Club Lexus since 2006. I remember when the threads and responses were coming at a rapid rate with many interested members for the LS430. Club Lexus is just about the most popular forum around for Lexus. I understand that I'm focusing on my LS430 and have noticed a rapid decline in interest as the model has aged. The newer models take up the slack and is where the action is. For me it's sad as I stick with what I own and am loyal to... my trusty LS430. but truth be told, it's interest has diminished substantially. Less responses to threads and overall less activity. For me I'm on for the life of my ownership and am still happy to see my familiar members giving their valuable input, but I still miss that exuberant stimulating interest with our wonderful cars. Once again...NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 09-15-17 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 04:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Simple fix, start some new discussion threads
Old 09-15-17, 05:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Simple fix, start some new discussion threads

Great idea! Go for it Dave!
Old 09-16-17, 06:29 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe it's because as these cars have aged, they've been fixed - hence a decline in posts to find out why something's not working?
Old 09-16-17, 06:59 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I think two primary reasons for slowly decreasing activity -
1) LS430s are getting old and no longer in production - no excited new owners posting every day about their new cars. Many more recent owners likely purchased the LS430 with a lot more miles, wear and age, maybe even as a cheap commuter car (beater) so way likely much less motivated to post. This may change over next 5-10 years as some folks keep the mint examples and may get a little more active for the subset of folks holding and maintaining these cars for the long run.
2) The LS430 is extremely reliable given its luxury status, so not that many posts here on numerous breakdowns, failures, repairs, troubleshooting and resultant outrage involved in frequently broken cars. If you want to see a truly dead forum mostly due to super reliability check out the 01-07 Toyota Highlander forums - ghost town dead as a door-nail.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jabberwock:
Bocatrip (09-16-17), e60bmw (09-20-17)
Old 09-16-17, 02:00 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

imho the typical person does not frequent forums....my wife considers it aberrant behavior. It's like in the x-files days, imagine two people chatting with one another, and they live in the same apt. across the hall from one another, but have never met.

Anyway, forums would only be for those enthusiastic about something, or looking for info. How many threads are there where people go on and on looking for a solution to an issue, then they disappear and never indicate what the outcome was?

I remember being brand new around here and people said there has never been any success getting LS430 people together. This isn't the case with BMW, Porsche, etc. But it would be hard to imagine Toyota heads hanging out and talking about the latest bando rib ace blah blah blah....
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 02:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
imho the typical person does not frequent forums....my wife considers it aberrant behavior. It's like in the x-files days, imagine two people chatting with one another, and they live in the same apt. across the hall from one another, but have never met.

Anyway, forums would only be for those enthusiastic about something, or looking for info. How many threads are there where people go on and on looking for a solution to an issue, then they disappear and never indicate what the outcome was?

I remember being brand new around here and people said there has never been any success getting LS430 people together. This isn't the case with BMW, Porsche, etc. But it would be hard to imagine Toyota heads hanging out and talking about the latest bando rib ace blah blah blah....
Actually, although partially social, I am not a member here as the primary goal to socialize with others. I enjoy the interaction with solving problems and getting information. I can honestly say that after almost 10 years being on my Infiniti site (when owning my G35 Coupe and Sedan), I ended up learning more about my car than the techs at the dealership that were supposed to fix them. I remember pointing some of these guys in the right direction to solve issues under warranty! Yes I am a car enthusiast, and there might not be many around for an LS430. When I purchased my G35 new in 2004 the pace of new threads was unbelievable because it was new, selling well, and all issues were posted with questions. The fiz is out of the LS430 but I still enjoy visiting and getting whatever info and feedback available. I'm also a member of other car forums as well. I guess I just love cars!
Old 09-16-17, 03:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I hear you, I do not frequent my Nissan forum, but would likely be one of 10 people who have been on the longest. I've been on the forum so long, that once there was a thread about who's been around the longest, and one guy came back and said I remember you way back when, he had just gotten out of prison, been away like 14 years. I don't even go on the BMW forum much anymore, and my enthusiasm is no less today than in 2007 as far as driving my '07. It's just that I don't enjoy conversing with 16-20 y.o. hearing them complain that their parents gave them such an old car with heavy steering. lol (this is what perfect steering feels like) Or elitists who have lifts in their 5 bed homes and act like if you don't have 300k on your BMW because you maintain it to a T, somehow you're lesser than they are (they can drive as far as any Lexus can, but overall require a lot more maintenance and repairs). And my wife's car forum (American car, made in MI)? Wow, forget it, grumpy old men come to mind hahahaha

The LS I really like as there is much that is special about it. Aging, of course. But it's kind of like a neighbor who has an '82 Mercedes 300D turbodiesel, and another late 80's MB E class. He has reason to like his old cars....
Bocatrip (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 03:53 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I've been on the 300ZX forum since 2003 and I can pretty much echo what John states about the forum for his BMW. When I joined, the cars were still owned primarily by enthusiasts and not kids with a desire to "Drift Tyte, yo". It has changed drastically over there, and I would have to assume the same will happen here. I'm surprised we don't see more questions from the "VIP" crowd, as that seems to be a major avenue of interest for the LS.

I've noticed a change just in the last 6-7 months in posts here. Many less than even 3 years ago when I joined. You want to see a dead forum? Look at the 1st/2nd Gen LX forum. You could shoot a cannon through that forum and not hit a single new post...

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 09-16-17 at 04:07 PM.
Bocatrip (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 03:56 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Hey John.. I guess you think like me with the car stuff. Who else is ever listening?
Old 09-16-17, 05:46 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Another possible cause for the decline in traffic could be because the forum is now very mature, and nearly all common problems had been discussed in detail. This forum is like a LS430 encyclopedia - you can find all the answers without starting a new thread.
tallcaguy (09-18-17)
Old 09-16-17, 06:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you not noticed MANY forums in general are completely dead? Everything is on social media now.
aypues (09-19-17)
Old 09-16-17, 11:52 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 430 is just not really a 'modders' platform. No more new ones being sold, old ones are slowly going away. I've been on this forum since ~2005 and still check it probably every other day or so. I just like reading about what problems/issues/impressions people have about a car I own. I'm also on a forum for my Nissan Xterra. Now, that is a modders vehicle and it keeps the forum alive. People are always coming up with new stuff to try on a 4X4. I'm on that one a couple times a day because it is VERY fresh. They do have facebook group, and maybe it has even more action than the forum but I doubt it. I refuse to have a facebook so I don't know - get off my lawn.
Old 09-17-17, 01:06 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

well i would assume that people resort to forums if they have car issues, and the ls430's are virtually problem free, now if you go to the benz , bmw or jag forums you will see lots of traffic there.
Old 09-17-17, 06:29 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

As a newer 430 owner, I appreciate those that remain. As with most forums, topics are discussed over and over. Starting a new post is chosen because it is easier than searching and wondering if the information is old.

I am guilty of that myself. I am also active on bogleheads.org and early-retirement.org. They have similar issues. New members ask the same questions over and over.

I hope those that still have their 430's pop in now and then to help us newbies out. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Way less forum traffic for the ls430