GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Yet another Lexus Dealer overfilled Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 12:27 PM
NextLevelG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another Lexus Dealer overfilled Oil Change

I just got my my free 5K oil change at the dealer this morning. I had read about some people in the past having the oil overfilled so I got home and checked the dip stick. Looks like about 1 qt over filled just like everyone else has said. I wish I would have checked at the dealership. This is the first time anyone other than myself has changed the oil in one of my vehicles in over 10 years and now I remember why I always do it myself. So after spending an hour and a half at the dealership and now having to go back again, I should have just taken 45 minutes and done it at home like normal and just spent the $50 on parts.

The service writer at the dealership also mentioned at least 4 times they did all the service and blah blah blah including rotating the tires. I let that one go, clearly they have no idea what they are doing considering all F model and F Sport models have staggered tires that you don't rotate.

Just wanted to remind everyone to check the dip stick before you drive away from the dealership.
Old 08-31-17, 06:56 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

If happened countless times with RCF owners (3 times to me). Bet every RCF/GSF is overfilled since they all have the same instructions from the computer. It all comes down to laziness to check the dipstick. That's why before i leave the dealership, i walk around to make sure no damage and check the fluid levels
Old 09-01-17, 11:10 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

i just had mine done also and it look like its a little over the top dot. should i drain some?
Old 09-01-17, 08:55 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gsfdream
i just had mine done also and it look like its a little over the top dot. should i drain some?
take it back, have them do it, don't sign paper until they show u oil level
Old 09-03-17, 08:59 PM
NextLevelG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine back to the dealer and they did take the oil back out and get it right to the top dot. At first the mechanic who did the service came over and was talking to the service writer saying something about, "O ya, we always over fill these engines a bit because it has an oil cooler and once it is running it is at the proper level." Sounds like so BS to me. I think I will take the Toyota engineer's advice in the owners manual, to get the engine up to normal operating temperature, shut it off, wait 5 minutes and then check the level on the dip stick rather than Jose the Lexus lube tech guy advice.

In the end I am happy they just fixed it and didn't try any BS with me and I got my free donut and cappuccino while waiting.
Old 09-05-17, 09:43 AM
mdrx350md
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I do my own oil changes. I typically drive 30+ minutes on the highway and then drain the engine (only the oil plug and not the engine oil filter) for a few hours. After changing out the filter, I refill 9.3 quarts per manual and I have consistently read slight over the top mark on a level surface. Any thoughts on why Lexus designed the dip stick this way?
Old 09-06-17, 11:34 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

To be honest I would not worry one bit about the engine oil overfilled by one quart. I mean what the heck is going to happen to screw up the engine?

You can say its apples and oranges but I overfill my built VR38DETT on purpose by over 1 quart
Old 09-07-17, 02:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
To be honest I would not worry one bit about the engine oil overfilled by one quart. I mean what the heck is going to happen to screw up the engine?

You can say its apples and oranges but I overfill my built VR38DETT on purpose by over 1 quart
The counterweights on the crank are going to whip the oil into a mousse and put aerated oil through your rod bearings. Why do you think they devised windage trays and crank scrapers?

Oh, yeah, you'll also lose horsepower to the whipping process.
Old 09-09-17, 06:32 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The counterweights on the crank are going to whip the oil into a mousse and put aerated oil through your rod bearings. Why do you think they devised windage trays and crank scrapers?

Oh, yeah, you'll also lose horsepower to the whipping process.
Wow. How much WHP are you talking about? Do you have dyno sheets proviing this? Whip oil into a mousse? Just because you added 1 quart over? I guess its an issue with a Lexus engine and not on a Nissan engine then, LOL.
Old 09-09-17, 08:43 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Wow. How much WHP are you talking about? Do you have dyno sheets proviing this? Whip oil into a mousse? Just because you added 1 quart over? I guess its an issue with a Lexus engine and not on a Nissan engine then, LOL.
any engine overfilled will whip oil and cause foam. Doesn't matter from Bentley to Kia
Old 09-09-17, 10:19 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ssmoked
any engine overfilled will whip oil and cause foam. Doesn't matter from Bentley to Kia
Well I'll trust the word of engine builders who actually race over yours then.
Old 09-10-17, 01:49 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

wish i can block stupidity on this forum
Old 09-10-17, 02:33 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://itstillruns.com/do-overfille...l-5908704.html

But you can continue overfilling in your car!
Old 09-10-17, 10:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I am an engine builder. Who is the idiot who says overfilling oil isn't a problem? Clearly not an engine builder because we all know air in the oil means death to rod bearings, and we even create devices to remove all bubbles from oil to preserve the engines we so carefully build.

Only a moron would tell you overfilling your oil is without severely damaging consequences. Ray Plumb told me many years ago all the factory CBR600s ran 1/2 quart low because it added 5 hp and prevented early failures...sheesh... the totally ignorant things people say on forums...
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (09-11-17)
Old 09-20-17, 11:01 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I just drained basically a whole water bottle worth of oil out to get to the top Line of the dip stick. Insane how they can do this and not care.

Quick Reply: Yet another Lexus Dealer overfilled Oil Change