Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX450h feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 09:51 AM
IXLRS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h feedback?

Looking for some feedback from those of you who own the new RX450h. I test drove one last week and was impressed by a few things.

Quietness it is when at ideal at a stop light. I'm an audiophile, love quite.
How fun it is to watch the battery monitor and see what your MPG is.
Impressed with how smooth the CVT is.
Seems to be enough power.
Makes me smile in stop & go trafic

Not so impressed
Doesn't have the get up and go that my 06 IS350 has BUT that's no surprise
Not a canyon carver by any means.

What do you owners think? Jack of all trade, master of MOST?

I'm very close to ordering a fully loaded Caviar Stratus Gray Lux Pkg,
Old 08-27-17, 11:10 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my RX450h F-sport 2 days ago. I'm also coming from a 2006 IS350. What I can say is that seems like materials in my F-Sport don't seem as nice as in my old IS. The leather seems hard and plastic like even the fake leather nulux cars I sat in the showroom feels nicer. If you're getting the lux package I think it has the semi-aniline leather same as the IS so you should be good. Steering wheel on the F-sport doesn't feel as nice as on the IS either. Speedwise from a dead stop the RX hybrid has a bit of hesitation and slow to accelerate compared to the IS but once up and going the RX is pretty quick, at least fast enough for me. Driving experience handling wise is way different of course. The RX feels GINORMOUS compared to the IS but with the F-sport and the Sport + mode the handling seems pretty responsive. Considering the weight of this car I'm pretty happy with the handling using the Sport + mode. The Lux package doesn't have this mode however and no active dampers. I'm slowly getting used to the size and there's a ton of distracting tech to get used to as well. Still not liking the fact that there's no Android Auto/Apple Carplay in this day and age, and the infotainment joystick is very frustrating because it jumps all over the place. They should have used the touchpad in the NX instead. Overall I think the car is very quiet and refined and with a full tank of gas can get you get 500 miles per fill up, good for road trips and less visits to the gas station.. Overall a nice family vehicle. I was considering a Volvo xc90 and that car is amazing in its luxuriousness, plus it's different... I kinda wanted to try something else being with the IS for over 10 years, but eventually decided I wanted to stick to what I already knew and the reliability of a Lexus. Good luck in your choice!
Old 08-27-17, 10:12 PM
IXLRS
Rookie

" I kinda wanted to try something else being with the IS for over 10 years, but eventually decided I wanted to stick to what I already knew and the reliability of a Lexus."

Thanks for your thoughts. Funny coincidence that we both had 06 IS350's. Smokey granite mica metallic, with black interior with sport package, right?

I thought for sure I would change car brands but it's hard to give up on Lexus. My dealer's service dept is great and always go the extra mile. Not sure I would get this switching brands.

I drove a Lux package RX450h again today and love it. I notice the wirling sound when you slow down but it's not so bad. The cool thing is how quite it is when accelerating. It's a night and day difference compared to the RX350. Seems to be less vibration also.

I love the Semi-Aniline leather. If feels a little softer than the standard premium package leather. I also can use the thigh extender since I'm 6' 3".

I'm just about ready to sign, but will have to wait until I know the 1.9% incentives will be offered in Oct.

Old 08-28-17, 03:34 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

It is a vehicle that you will not regret owning.
Old 08-29-17, 09:17 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very happy with my 2017 450h. Because I custom-ordered, I got more options than I might have found on a dealer lot. Two have proven so invaluable that I'll never buy another vehicle without them:
1. Panoramic Monitor - Love the birds-eye view that makes parking this big vehicle a breeze.
2. Heads-up Display -- Not only is it convenient to see current speed, speed limit, fuel efficiency, audio changes, lane keep assist, and navigation turns, it pairs remarkably well with the dynamic radar system. It feels like you are in a jet fighter locked on to a target -- only it is really a car icon indicating that it is sensing the speed of the vehicle in front of you. I had planned to give up my polarized sunglasses to use the heads-up display, but after turning the brightness up all the way and lowering the display position on the windshield, I've found that I'm able to see the display with them -- not as bright as with non-polarized sunglasses, but still useable.

If you can get one or both of these options, I think you'll be glad that you did.

Last edited by IrishJoe; 08-29-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 01:40 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Funny you mention the heads up display. I have had it on other vehicles and liked it and on my 2016 RX350. I didn't realize how much I actually look at it until I had a loaner without it.
Old 09-08-17, 09:46 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

A comparable RX450h f-sport is only about $2600 more than a luxury RX450 f-sport so it's no brainer to get RX450h f-sport.
Old 09-09-17, 12:56 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardbird88
A comparable RX450h f-sport is only about $2600 more than a luxury RX450 f-sport so it's no brainer to get RX450h f-sport.
Some can not get over the CVT. I have to admit that I did I not like it the first time I drove it but it grew on me quickly. Would never own another RX unless it was the 450h. Awesome performance.
Old 09-24-17, 10:58 AM
gs1970
Driver School Candidate

Wow great ..How much did you spend on it ? I am looking for RX 450h w/o sport in Houston area .Any better price?
Old 09-25-17, 08:24 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Traded in my 2016 RX350 for a 2017 RX450H. Love the Hybrid! So smooth and quiet. If you can afford the higher cost of the Hybrids I would definitely go with it. Doesn't have the same problems like the RX350. Once you get used to the way the Hybrids drive, like ggebhardt says you will not regret owning it. Go with the Hybrid!
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (09-27-17)
Old 10-04-17, 04:59 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by yardbird88
would love to get the sport, but the inner wings on the lower seat cushion don't work for me or my wife. the outer wings are no problem. wanted the suspension, but the seat is a deal breaker for us.
Old 10-04-17, 05:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JSracer
would love to get the sport, but the inner wings on the lower seat cushion don't work for me or my wife. the outer wings are no problem. wanted the suspension, but the seat is a deal breaker for us.
Yep, loved the look of the F-Sport but the seats killed it for me. Plus I could not find a F-Sport with all the options on my Luxury.
Old 10-04-17, 07:14 AM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
I would have also bought the sport but like you and ggebhardt the seats were the deal breaker. I found them too snug and not wide enough. The other options that the sport came with would have been nice but since I'm not an aggressive driver anymore, slow and easy does it for me!
Old 10-07-17, 08:01 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If only they were adjustable like the corvettes used to be !
Old 10-23-17, 06:29 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I traded in a 2016 RX350 for a 2017 RX450h. Like others have mentioned, I prefer the hybrid for it's smoother ride. I think a lot has to do with the additional 500 pounds of weight. I also had the strange transmission vibration issue on my 350 when i accelerated normally from a stop. The only way i could make it go away was by accelerating harder than i normally like to do. My 350 was front wheel drive and the 450h is all wheel drive so perhaps that is also making a difference in what i am perceiving. Anyways, I highly recommend the Hybrid version of the RX.

Re: the F-sport, I think it looks great. I love the grill, wheels, and LED headlights which are standard on just about every F-Sport in SoCal, but the firmer ride, short seat bottoms, and artificial engine noises were deal breakers for me. Those last three things ruined what makes the RX such a great vehicle. I know Sport sells and every manufacturer is offering Sport versions of their cars, but on the RX I feel that some of the F Sport features just makes the vehicle worse.

Last edited by roblim; 10-23-17 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: RX450h feedback?