GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any info on Steering-Pump common O-ring leak, DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 01:26 AM
johnnyho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on Steering-Pump common O-ring leak, DIY?

I have a 2nd gen GS ... alternator going, and looks to be the infamous Power Steering leak coming from above it.
Been reading is commonly the High-pressure Return-line's seal, even that it is "easy" ... but being separated from most of my tools and resources at this time, have to do "meatball surgery" in the field.

Would feel a lot better with a little info on what to expect. But as common as this issue/solution "seems" to be, am finding no "DIY" info or the like (been looking hard!).
Am thinking to address that issue at same time I tackle the alternator.

Actually, have two sub-questions with it ... if am lucky enough to find some special-soul out there that can offer something (for myself and future others):
I've seen the "air control valve" on the pump is a common leak point, also - any help about that or where these two things (I assume) are situated on the pump?
Have also seen where the PS fluid basically "interferes with the stator-brushes" connections, and alternator could be cleaned of to function again....anyone heard or done something as such?

Am grateful for your time and consideration - thank you!!!
Old 08-25-17, 07:44 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Ended up fixing the high pressure return line on my GS400 twice, and the SC430 I got back in March a few months ago. Fortunately I caught the one on the SC before it took out the alternator. I'm in the habit of checking all the fluids weekly but especially the P/S fluid. It's definitely a problem area on these cars.

Btw, your alternator is more than likely toast might as well replace that as well. I got one with a lifetime warranty from PepBoys back in 2011 for my GS, it's been doing fine ever since.
Old 08-28-17, 12:07 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Thank you for that!

I was having trouble finding any general info on which port/hose off the pump this is, and what part-description is being replaced ... called a dealer that called it an "e-shaped" gasket (assuming I described correctly). I was expecting something like "crush washers" and/or maybe a banjo-bolt seal or similar (?).
Wonder if you'd know, or have time to shed light on:
*which port off the pump body is it
*what type of seals are looking to be replaced (washer, gasket or like)

In my case, it turned out to be the battery this time. I had gone to Auto Zone hoping for their free battery/alternator test to tell me something useful this time. Why I don't know, the few past times I can remember the diagnosis was always wrong - I'd go in a few days before the component gave out and their "tests" had shown all was "good". I think the test is only as good as the "test-person", and these are not exactly experienced personnel doing them. Anyway, went to an independent garage who's opinion was the battery - which I then replaced for free (under warranty) ... and they were correct. Meantime I know where to get the alternator rebuilt when does happen, for less than a generic Chinese knock-off or a remanufacture with inferior parts.

Thanks for your time ... as always I think these posts will help others in the future, when in need. Thank you for that as well :-)

John

Last edited by johnnyho; 08-28-17 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typos, improved wording
Old 09-02-17, 04:03 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Edit - The design and layout on a GS 3 is different. My manual shows a totally different looking pump. The below is only helpful on a V8 GS.

I just replaced two leaking O-rings on my '98 GS4 power steering pump. See this LS 400 thread, which is what I used to navigate. The GS appears to have the same pump, and doesn't have any brake components in the way:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...0-ls400-s.html

My pump was leaking from two places, so I replaced O-rings 1 and 3 from this thread. Of course, the key is to determine where the leak is coming from first, then order parts and tear into it. I don't think all the torque values are included, and I'm a stickler with the torque wrench... For reference, the torque values are:

Rear bracket (back half of pump housing), 4 bolts: 29 ft. lbs.
Bracket for return hose, 2 bolts: 9 ft. lbs.
Bolt for Pressure hose, 1 bolt: 36 ft. lbs.
Mounting bolts to engine block, (2), and mounting nut behind pulley (1): 32 ft. lbs.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 09-02-17 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 01:49 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

That's just awesome, thank you for taking the time to share!
Great to know the LS400 pump is similar - expands the possibilities for info and think I've seen a lot of videos posted on Youtube for the LS.

Many thanks to you 98GSOwner :-) As well as to Kevin3344

Not to "Segway" this too long ... but what I learned meanwhile is not to trust the "free battery and alternator" check you get at the large Parts-store chains, the results are only as good as the employee doing the test - who can be pretty inexperienced. Despite the "Battery - good, low charge" result, I went to a local shop for a second opinion...which was to replace the battery. I was able to replace the battery for better than "free" under its warranty, they had to refund me $8. Present problem (no-start power from batt) is solved, but still have PS fluid soaked hoses and still needs done.