RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

TPMS programming for second set of wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 02:16 PM
vital350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS programming for second set of wheels?

Just picked up used OEM 20's to replace my 18''. Rim/tire combo that supposedly also includes TPMS. I remember reading somewhere that RX only "remembers" one set of sensors. So my only 2 options are to either re-use my original sensors (take them out of 18s and install in new 20s) or get new sensors reprogrammed, right?

Also - I'm planning to use my 18s for winters and 20s for rest of the year. 3 year lease = 6 swaps. Which option would be more cost effective?
Also #2 - I'm assuming most tire shops are able to program these, right? Or am I better off paying Lexus dealer "arm and a leg" price every time I need to program them?
Old 08-23-17, 02:30 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Just put a piece of electrical tape over the little yellow light or spend the money for new sensors, and have someone do the programming.

I just put tape over the light for the winter.
Old 08-23-17, 02:44 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vital350
Just picked up used OEM 20's to replace my 18''. Rim/tire combo that supposedly also includes TPMS. I remember reading somewhere that RX only "remembers" one set of sensors. So my only 2 options are to either re-use my original sensors (take them out of 18s and install in new 20s) or get new sensors reprogrammed, right?

Also - I'm planning to use my 18s for winters and 20s for rest of the year. 3 year lease = 6 swaps. Which option would be more cost effective?
Also #2 - I'm assuming most tire shops are able to program these, right? Or am I better off paying Lexus dealer "arm and a leg" price every time I need to program them?
I am on the same boat and so far, only a Lexus dealer can program them... Costco claimed they could but failed.
Old 08-24-17, 03:18 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

My Lexus dealer will match anyone's "real out the door" price on tires so I always get my Lexus dealer to do my tires.
Old 08-24-17, 05:15 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
My Lexus dealer will match anyone's "real out the door" price on tires so I always get my Lexus dealer to do my tires.
But without the Costco waranty they offer, they did not want to top it.

My dealer changes my tires, but bought them at Costco.
Old 08-24-17, 06:07 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

For most of us you are programming the cars module to recognize the sensors as OEM units have a fixed ID#.
However, you can read the current sensors and buy programmable sensors, program them to match and install them.

When done successfully, they mirror your existing sensors ID#s and the car knows no different. Just keep the spare set up to pressure or away from car so it doesn't think it has low tire. Sell the spare set and no messing with dealership fees.

Search for programmable TPMS...
Old 10-01-17, 10:48 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default TPMS for two sets of wheels & tires?

Does anyone know if there is a switch of setting that lets you switch between a standard and winter set of wheels & tires on a 4th gen RX 350 so you don't have to recode the tams sensors each time to the vehicle? I've read and heard contradicting stories. Any info is appreciated.
Old 10-01-17, 10:22 PM
16rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed that during this past winter when I put on aftermarket 18" winters with no sensors after removing the OEM 20's the TPMS light never came on. The TPMS screen which shows the tire pressure just showed a line for each of the wheels. Keep in mind that I did have the OEM wheels in the garage which I parked in every night. Not sure if this had any effect on the readings. I drove for 4 months with no TPMS warning light ever coming on. When I put the snows on I also never initialized the system. Maybe this is the trick for putting on snows for the winter to keep the TPMS light from coming on. After installing the OEM 20's back on in the Spring the system just carried on and showed the tire pressures for each of the tires as it normally did. Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-24-17, 01:03 PM
nextimpact
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can 2016 RX350 keep 2 set of TPMS sensors?

If it can, how to switch over between set A and set B?
Old 11-24-17, 01:45 PM
jvinhj240
Rookie

tmps tools
Old 11-24-17, 02:04 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jvinhj240
tmps tools
not sure how so few words answers or helps to answer the question.
who's tools, dealer, independent mechanics, home use. Phone and obd2 app?

to the op, yes it can be done, somehow
Old 11-26-17, 06:59 PM
AlexB
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using this to switch between my winter and summer wheel sets. Works well.
https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/prod...ms-reset-tool/
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexB:
horizonsky (05-11-18), rollyd (11-11-19)
Old 11-27-17, 05:37 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexB
excellent, thank you
Old 05-11-18, 11:43 AM
horizonsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexB
This is very helpful thread, thanks AlexB for sharing the tool, i'm still researching adding another set of tpms on new set of wheels, my understanding that 4th generation of RX ECU stores only one set of TPMS codes/IDs at a time, does this tool adds/writes the new TPMS IDs to the ECU ? any specific brand of tpms i need to look for in order to work with this tool ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-18, 12:45 PM
ybe4094
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by horizonsky
This is very helpful thread, thanks AlexB for sharing the tool, i'm still researching adding another set of tpms on new set of wheels, my understanding that 4th generation of RX ECU stores only one set of TPMS codes/IDs at a time, does this tool adds/writes the new TPMS IDs to the ECU ? any specific brand of tpms i need to look for in order to work with this tool ?

Thanks in advance!
The tool simply overwrites the existing IDs in the ECU. The car can store only one set of IDs. I bought the tool along with the compatible tpms sensors with new tires and rims from Tirerack.

Quick Reply: TPMS programming for second set of wheels?