Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Instrument Panel Plastic "Glass" cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 05:40 AM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument Panel Plastic "Glass" cleaning

So... I need to clean this up, but am not sure how to go about it.

I would like to ideally take the plastic out, but if it takes hours and much disassembly, I would rather try to polish it in place.

What are your suggestions for both the instrument cluster and center console?

I couldn't find any tutorials on how to remove either screen

Old 08-23-17, 06:49 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I use "Speed Shine - The Five Minute Detail" (exterior car paint care spray) on a new microfiber towel to first lift off the dust, and then to clean/polish the screen.

It's a Griot's Garage product (now available locally on AutoZone shelfs) - part number 874596004205.

I also use that on my cars' paint between waxes (as it totally hides the micro-scratches from the California Duster).
Old 08-23-17, 12:07 PM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

Just to clarify, it appears there was some sort of chemical got etched in. I tried rubbing it off, and had no luck
Old 08-23-17, 12:33 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My Nav screen is particularly difficult. I simply can't make it not streak. It's like it has some sort of anti glare coating that won't come off. It looks horrible if the sun hits it directly.

Last time, I just tried a good MF cloth that was slightly dampened. I think I may have found a secret, but I still think there's some sort of coating. At this point, I'm pretty reluctant to put any chemical on the plastic, so I just try to not let it get bad before I clean it.
Old 08-23-17, 06:25 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiar's makes a series of professional products specifically for cleaning and polishing clear plastic.
M1008 Clear Plastic Polish
M1708 Clear Plastic Cleaner
M1808 Clear Plastic Detailer
The following users liked this post:
zmcgovern4 (08-24-17)
Old 08-24-17, 06:42 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

First - I wish you the best of luck.

As you said, it does appear to be some sort of chemical staining. I hope it is not too bad and will come out with relative ease. You're likely going to see the best results if you can do this with a dual action polisher, and not by hand. In my opinion, the only real option here to do it properly would be to remove the instrument cluster. I'm not familiar with this model, but on the ISF it is a relatively easy process. The screen in the center dash area can likely be done while installed since you do not have a steering wheel in your way. Just tape off surrounding areas to protect them.

As with polishing paint, always start with the least aggressive method and work your way up as needed. So, begin with a finishing polish and a polishing pad and see what you can do. Work your way up to a medium cut, and then heavier cut only if needed. Worst case scenario is your going to have to sand the plastic until it is smooth and then polish out all of the sanding marks (similar to a headlight restoration).

Look forward to seeing your progress... take some photos to share

-Zach
Old 08-24-17, 04:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I had some stubborn stains on my speedometers, Mequairs PlastiX worked pretty well, any decent polish and some elbow work should work pretty well for stubborn stains.
Old 08-25-17, 07:39 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and were wondering what the year and model is for your cluster? We might be able to help out with a replacement lens. The chemical etching won't come out, unfortunately. Ammonia free cleaners are the way to go!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 08-25-17, 11:01 AM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

I will hopefully try the polishes soon.

as far as responding to TaninAuto goes Hello, I have a 2010 RX350.
If its affordable, I wouldn't mind purchasing, but more importantly, I would need instructions for removal and replacement
Old 08-27-17, 03:58 PM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

Just got back from a polishing session and I think it turned out pretty well. My wife is satisfied with the result at least and it didnt cost me any extra.

I already had a Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl remover and the label said it was safe for plastics, so I decided to do a test spot on the interior console before going at it.

I used both my finger and a microfiber cloth to apply and buff, rubbing in random motions, then used a clean damp microfiber to wipe away any residue.

Here are the results

Old 08-27-17, 04:01 PM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

Just for funsies I also tried the product on the headlights which my wife had complained about as well After
Before
Old 08-28-17, 10:33 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

If you ever take another shot at it, you might want to look into the Novus plastic polish kit:
https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503941520&sr=8-1&keywords=novus+plastic+polish https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503941520&sr=8-1&keywords=novus+plastic+polish

I always use canned air and Plexus on my gauges as part of the regular cleaning process. Looks like you made some great progress, however.
Old 08-28-17, 12:06 PM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

If I had to do it again, I would definitely use something a little more abrasive to start, but I find it very difficult to find which random off the shelf polishing products are more or less abrasive than others.
Old 08-28-17, 03:22 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeRoSL
If I had to do it again, I would definitely use something a little more abrasive to start, but I find it very difficult to find which random off the shelf polishing products are more or less abrasive than others.
The first step of this polishing kit is pretty dang abrasive. Definitely worth a shot.
Old 08-31-17, 04:53 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeRoSL
I will hopefully try the polishes soon.

as far as responding to TaninAuto goes Hello, I have a 2010 RX350.
If its affordable, I wouldn't mind purchasing, but more importantly, I would need instructions for removal and replacement
If you can inbox us with your VIN, we can get you more info and pricing!

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com