NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX200t Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 06:17 AM
SloppyJ88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile NX200t Brakes

I previously owned a RX330 and did my own brakes following the how to posts by members. Now I am driving a 2016 NX200t and would like to know if anyone has worked on their brakes on this model and if they could share knowledge and pictures. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-17, 08:51 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SloppyJ88
I previously owned a RX330 and did my own brakes following the how to posts by members. Now I am driving a 2016 NX200t and would like to know if anyone has worked on their brakes on this model and if they could share knowledge and pictures. Thanks in advance.
The fronts should be very typical floating caliper setup, but the rears are different due to the electric parking brake motor. Basically, you need Techstream (or 3rd party) to unwind the rear parking brake motor for replacing the pads.
Old 08-22-17, 06:46 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Not true...you can do it without techstream.

Per the shop manual:

HINT:

When replacing the rear disc brake pad and rear disc, since the nut inside the rear disc brake cylinder assembly is in an advanced position, it is necessary to move the nut back inside the cylinder. The nut can be moved back using pad replacement mode.

(a) Pad replacement mode

When Using the Techstream:

1. Turn the engine switch off.
  2. Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
  3. Turn the engine switch on (IG) and the Techstream on.
  4. Enter the following menus: Chassis / Electric Parking Brake / Utility / Check Mode.
  5. Follow the Techstream display and select "Next".
  6. Depress the brake pedal, and then push and hold the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) to the release side for 5 seconds or more.
    NOTICE:
    • Perform this procedure with the engine switch on (IG).
    • Hold the brake pedal until the system changes to pad replacement mode. If the brake pedal is not depressed, the cylinder boot may become twisted.
    • When the system changes to pad replacement mode, DTC C13A7/43 may be stored. If the DTC is stored, clear the DTCs after the procedure (rear brake pad replacement, etc.) is complete.
    HINT:

When entering pad replacement mode, the parking brake indicator light (red) flashes (0.25 second intervals). After a short time passes, the parking brake actuator assembly operates (if operated from the parking brake locked condition, the motor of the parking brake actuator assembly is temporarily stopped after being operated and then operation starts again), and once the assembly finishes operating, the parking brake indicator light (red) flashes slowly (1 second intervals) (nut moves back inside the cylinder and system enters pad replacement mode).

Chassis > Electric Parking Brake > Utility

TESTER DISPLAY
Check Mode

When not Using the Techstream:

1. Turn the engine switch off.
  2. Using SST, connect terminals 12 (TS) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.SST:

09843-18040

NOTICE:

Do not connect the wrong terminals, as this will cause parts to be damaged.

[img]Resources/C309227C01.png[/img]*1
    DLC3
  3. Turn the engine switch on (IG).
  4. Within 8 seconds, operate the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) to perform 3 on operations on the lock side (off (release) to on (pull)) and 3 on operations on the release side (off (release) to on (push)).NOTICE:

If the operation is performed too quickly, the system may not respond. If the system does not respond, perform the operation again at a slower speed.

HINT:

The parking brake indicator light (red) flashes (0.25 second intervals).
  5. Depress the brake pedal, and then push and hold the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) to the release side for 5 seconds or more.
    NOTICE:
    • Perform this procedure with the engine switch on (IG).
    • Hold the brake pedal until the system changes to pad replacement mode. If the brake pedal is not depressed, the cylinder boot may become twisted.
    • When the system changes to pad replacement mode, DTC C13A7/43 may be stored. If the DTC is stored, clear the DTCs after the procedure (rear brake pad replacement, etc.) is complete.
    HINT:

After a short time passes, the parking brake actuator assembly operates (if operated from the parking brake locked condition, the motor of the parking brake actuator assembly is temporarily stopped after being operated and then operation starts again), and once the assembly finishes operating, the parking brake indicator light (red) flashes slowly (1 second intervals) (nut moves back inside the cylinder and system enters pad replacement mode).
(b) Turn the engine switch off.

NOTICE:

Do not operate the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) until the procedures are complete. If operated, the system will return to its normal condition.

When Using the Techstream:

1. Disconnect the Techstream from the DLC3.

When not Using the Techstream:

1. Disconnect SST from the DLC3.
(c) Normal condition recovery

(1) After the procedure (rear brake pad replacement, etc.) is complete, perform an electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) lock operation.

NOTICE:
  • When performing work (replacing the rear brake pad, etc.), do not operate the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) or turn the engine switch on (IG) and operate the shift lever. If the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) or shift lever is operated, the parking brake may operate and the rear disc brake piston may fall off. Also, make sure to disconnect the connector of the parking brake actuator assembly or disconnect the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal.
  • When DTC C13A7/43 is stored, clear the DTCs.
Old 08-22-17, 10:35 AM
SloppyJ88
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for info

Wow, Thank you for the answers! Sounds very complicated. I will have to read up more on the rear brakes and summon more courage before I tackle that job!!
Old 08-22-17, 11:42 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Get techstream access to get the manuals (you can buy access for a few days), the entire procedure is well detailed in them.
Old 08-23-17, 01:15 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

We replaced the rear brakes on my NX by removing the parking brake motor and manually turning the piston/screw that the motor's shaft inserts to with either a Torx or Allen wrench (can't remember). Once the replacement is complete, the motor will turn a little longer than usual the first time you operate the parking brake since you pushed the piston/screw all the way back and it's re-calibrating itself. This will throw a one-time code. Just reset it and you're done.
Old 08-23-17, 05:17 AM
SloppyJ88
Driver School Candidate

Default NX rear brakes

Thank! How do I reset the code?
Old 08-23-17, 10:46 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
We replaced the rear brakes on my NX by removing the parking brake motor and manually turning the piston/screw that the motor's shaft inserts to with either a Torx or Allen wrench (can't remember). Once the replacement is complete, the motor will turn a little longer than usual the first time you operate the parking brake since you pushed the piston/screw all the way back and it's re-calibrating itself. This will throw a one-time code. Just reset it and you're done.
Any time you open the motor the seals/o-ring is not reusable and should be replaced; otherwise you run the risk of water infiltration and rust.

Last edited by acheuk; 08-23-17 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 08:47 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SloppyJ88
Thank! How do I reset the code?
You're welcome. I use the Carista app with an OBDLink MX.

Originally Posted by acheuk
Any time you open the motor the seals/o-ring is not reusable and should be replaced; otherwise you run the risk of water infiltration and rust.
True. We just grease the o-rings every time, but I won't be surprised and have accepted the fact that I have to buy a replacement motor sooner or later, if and when it does happen.