RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Fan/AC - Automatic outside air setting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 11:23 PM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fan/AC - Automatic outside air setting?

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the RX automatically set to "outside air" (far-right setting) each time you start the car? I have the carista adapter but didn't see any option for that. Was wondering if there's a way to set it myself or if it's possible for the dealer to do it during my 5k service.
Old 08-20-17, 06:26 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If the climate control system on the RX is set up the same way that the climate control system is set up on the Generation 6 ES, there is no option available, either through user settings or "dealer only" settings, to change the system to default to fresh air mode each time the vehicle is started. Instead, the system will default to recirculate mode each time the car is started and the outside temperature is around 75 or higher.

This default behavior has been one of the few complaints that I have had with the two Generation 6 ESs that I've owned. I've found that, if the system is operating continuously in the recirculate mode, the cabin air quality starts to get a bit stale. Further on very hot days when the car has been parked in the sun, it actually takes longer to cool down the car when the system is operating in recirculate mode than it takes to cool down the car with the system in fresh air mode. On a hot day when the car has been parked in the sun, the cabin air temperature can rise to 130 degrees or higher. Recirculating that 130 degree air when the car is first started is less efficient than it would be if the system was bringing in outside air that, even on a very hot day, would be 30-40 cooler than the air in the cabin.

I've just gotten into the habit, every time that I start the car, to reach a bit to the right of the "start" button and to manually switch to the recirculate mode. I'd still suggest asking the dealer service department if any option exists to change the default behavior on the RX, but, again, if it is the same as on the ES, there is not such an option.
Old 08-20-17, 06:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,339 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If the climate control system on the RX is set up the same way that the climate control system is set up on the Generation 6 ES, there is no option available, either through user settings or "dealer only" settings, to change the system to default to fresh air mode each time the vehicle is started. Instead, the system will default to recirculate mode each time the car is started and the outside temperature is around 75 or higher.

This default behavior has been one of the few complaints that I have had with the two Generation 6 ESs that I've owned. I've found that, if the system is operating continuously in the recirculate mode, the cabin air quality starts to get a bit stale. Further on very hot days when the car has been parked in the sun, it actually takes longer to cool down the car when the system is operating in recirculate mode than it takes to cool down the car with the system in fresh air mode. On a hot day when the car has been parked in the sun, the cabin air temperature can rise to 130 degrees or higher. Recirculating that 130 degree air when the car is first started is less efficient than it would be if the system was bringing in outside air that, even on a very hot day, would be 30-40 cooler than the air in the cabin.

I've just gotten into the habit, every time that I start the car, to reach a bit to the right of the "start" button and to manually switch to the recirculate mode. I'd still suggest asking the dealer service department if any option exists to change the default behavior on the RX, but, again, if it is the same as on the ES, there is not such an option.
one push of a button takes care of it. I notice it stays in recirc even with AUTO selected when no mean the auto that's supposed to select outside vs record and not the main auto setting.
Old 08-20-17, 10:33 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I've noticed on mine that if you have leave the A/C On when you shut off the car, then it will be in Recirc mode when you start up the car again.

If you have the A/C Off when you turn off the car, then it will stay at whatever setting you had the next time you restart the car.
Old 08-21-17, 09:53 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

for me, AC on goes to recirculation mode

AC off, automatically goes to outside air

I think also it auto goes to outside air when the car is switched off to prevent mildew and that mold smell from the ac
The following users liked this post:
Richyb1 (09-05-21)
Old 08-21-17, 12:28 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn’t this the “efficient ventilation” setting?
Old 08-21-17, 12:48 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
Isn’t this the “efficient ventilation” setting?
If you enable the "efficient ventilation" setting, when you set the system to "fresh air", the system turns off the AC compressor and uses fresh air mode continuously. If you set the system to "recirculate", it turns on the AC compressor and operates continuously in recirculate mode, and you can not even manually switch to fresh air mode while leaving the AC compressor on.
Old 08-23-17, 11:38 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If you enable the "efficient ventilation" setting, when you set the system to "fresh air", the system turns off the AC compressor and uses fresh air mode continuously. If you set the system to "recirculate", it turns on the AC compressor and operates continuously in recirculate mode, and you can not even manually switch to fresh air mode while leaving the AC compressor on.
Not sure if you worded this correctly or if it's me because of the "efficient ventilation setting" but...When AC is on you can choose fresh air and the AC stays on.
Maybe I should just go look at what efficient ventilation is.....never mind I think I'm having another brain fart or something!