LC Model (2018-present)

Lc trd

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 05:16 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

how heavy is the spoiler? wondering if the trunk springs are strong enough to hold it up with the spoiler on it. Some cars require stronger springs when you add a spoiler/wing.
Old 11-07-17, 05:47 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Good point. This one is very light. Just about 1 pound including the mounting tape. Since it's a TRD item, I was confident this was tested before they went into production. Also, the trunk lid is almost vertical when open, so I'm pretty sure it would support a much heavier spoiler and still stay open. I would think the carbon version being offered in the US accessories catalog must be significantly heaver than this one.

Last edited by uchujin; 11-08-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 10:35 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppean
Please no. It has been done before and it added zero to the looks of the car. I find excessive lowering makes a car look silly:
Oh my. Hopefully there are hydraulics on that thing, 'cause otherwise I can't imagine how the front wheels can even turn...?
Old 11-08-17, 06:34 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Here's the TRD rear spoiler in Ultra White (083)...

Mounting tape is more like foam "mirror tape" or cable conduit mounting tape, rather than the 3M molding tape I'm used to seeing...

This is the mounting bolt, that I removed. The assembly was adhered to the underside of the spoiler with a stronger adhesive tape. I worked through that adhesive with a putty knife and removed it...

Old 11-08-17, 06:49 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Here are some pics of the spoiler resting on my LC. I'm still deciding whether I'm gonna mount it permanently. I really like the style of this. The curved lines of the inner quarter panels line up nicely with the notched section of the spoiler. Although it looks like an add-on piece, it's pretty subtle... Less noticeable than others I've seen, yet it gives the back a little more sportiness without compromising the original vehicle design, IMO...

Old 11-08-17, 06:52 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Here are some pics of the TRD spoiler with the factory wing deployed...

Old 11-09-17, 05:30 AM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks really good, although it is better with the wing down. The foam strips look quite thick. Will it be possible to fix it close enough to the car without using the fixing bolt as well?
Old 11-09-17, 06:08 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jules640
That looks really good, although it is better with the wing down. The foam strips look quite thick. Will it be possible to fix it close enough to the car without using the fixing bolt as well?
Yes. I was going to swap out the foam tape with the rubber-based 3M molding tape that I prefer, but the area where the tape is - is recessed enough that I think the thinner 3M tape would be recessed too far. Basically what I'm saying is - the foam strips appear to be the appropriate thickness for a perfect fit. That bolt would only hold one small area (just to the right of the middle) in tight anyway. I believe the bolt was only on there to reduce liability claims. This spoiler weighs barely 1 pound (US weight). I have no worries about the tape working, as long as the mounting surface is prepped properly.
Old 11-09-17, 08:04 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jules640
I think I like the look better with it than without it - as long as the popup wing is recessed. With the wing up, not so much. What do you guys think? Be honest! I'm not completely committed to this.
Old 11-10-17, 03:43 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
I think I like the look better with it than without it - as long as the popup wing is recessed. With the wing up, not so much. What do you guys think? Be honest! I'm not completely committed to this.
I think it looks really good both ways - definitely makes the rear of the car look much more interesting without looking "fast and furious"
Old 11-22-17, 10:35 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

I would think that TRD has done their R&D and the lip spoiler would be somewhat functional.
Old 11-22-17, 11:32 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Yes, you are correct. Their words: "Rectifying the airflow over the trunk lid to reduce lift at the rear, improving the driving stability of the vehicle." I still haven't decided whether or not to install it, and.... I have until next Spring to decide. I prefer to install things like this outside, on a warm day above 70 degrees. We won't see that here in New England for another 6 or 7 months.

Old 11-22-17, 01:08 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
Yes, you are correct. Their words: "Rectifying the airflow over the trunk lid to reduce lift at the rear, improving the driving stability of the vehicle." I still haven't decided whether or not to install it, and.... I have until next Spring to decide. I prefer to install things like this outside, on a warm day above 70 degrees. We won't see that here in New England for another 6 or 7 months.

Awesome! Yea i would definitely do it on a warm day so the tape can bond better.
Old 11-25-17, 06:46 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

I really like the rear spoiler and side skirts. From some angles, the factory skirt looks like it kinks up and then back down pretty severely just before the rear wheel arch.
Old 11-25-17, 06:59 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Quick Reply: Lc trd