IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 05:15 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default power steering issue

about a month ago i lost power steering while i was driving the car going less than 40mph, i turned off the car and back on, the issue was gone and power steering came back. a few weeks later i let my co worker borrow the car and he mentioned he lost power steering twice in less than 10 mins. i then proceed to take my car to lexus but they can't replicate the issue and only code they found was C1528

has this happen to anyone before? any input is gladly appreciate it
Old 08-16-17, 07:45 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you switched out your steering ECU by chance? Not that it could be the issue, just curious. You could try plugging in tech stream and recalibrate your steering to see if that works
Old 08-16-17, 08:25 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

i have not change the steering ecu at all, i was looking on google about this issues and found a thread for it. i am gonna have my dealer check this out and see what they say
Old 08-21-17, 02:06 PM
JW2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
about a month ago i lost power steering while i was driving the car going less than 40mph, i turned off the car and back on, the issue was gone and power steering came back. a few weeks later i let my co worker borrow the car and he mentioned he lost power steering twice in less than 10 mins. i then proceed to take my car to lexus but they can't replicate the issue and only code they found was C1528

has this happen to anyone before? any input is gladly appreciate it
Hey blackisF08,

I had the same thing happen to me several times in my 2011. Couple times at speeds below 40mph and even once while I was on the freeway. Took the dealer couple tries to diagnose the issue, in the end it was my power steering ECU itself. Perhaps you can take it back and ask them to test the ECU to see if there is a short. Below are notes for the work they did.

Cause:
Power Steering ECU shorted. Internal failure

Operation:
Old 08-21-17, 02:16 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I think he told me that he brought it into the dealer and they were unable to reproduce it. Then on his way home it died again and he took it back without restarting it so they could see the code and witness the failure. I think they are replacing his steering rack
Old 08-21-17, 02:25 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by JW2011
Hey blackisF08,

I had the same thing happen to me several times in my 2011. Couple times at speeds below 40mph and even once while I was on the freeway. Took the dealer couple tries to diagnose the issue, in the end it was my power steering ECU itself. Perhaps you can take it back and ask them to test the ECU to see if there is a short. Below are notes for the work they did.

Cause:
Power Steering ECU shorted. Internal failure

Operation:
sorry about not updating the thread guys, thanks for your input as well.

so i had the issue happened to me 4 times half way home after picking up my car, one of them on the highway while going back to the dealership. i drove back without power steering that way they could see the issue and pull the code again. they are replacing the steering and pinion completely, but they also mentioned they might need to replace the steering ecu
Old 08-21-17, 02:39 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Do you have HIDs in the fog lights by any chance?

At any rate, I find it odd they are choosing to replace the entire steering system before the ECU.
Old 08-21-17, 03:19 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by yardie876
Do you have HIDs in the fog lights by any chance?

At any rate, I find it odd they are choosing to replace the entire steering system before the ECU.
i don't have hid's as my fogs but i do have the upgraded 2014 LED ones. not sure what's he reason behind them doing that 1st before the ecu but that's the steps they are taking
Old 08-26-17, 12:45 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

well after picking up the car and having it back for about 2 days i lost power steering once again, i am gonna call them again and most likely they will replace the steering ecu. i will keep you guys update it
Old 08-26-17, 11:36 PM
Brad3275
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of one member here who had this issue recently. Lexus had the factory rep come to town and he traced it back to a shorted wire. Not sure which one, but it was a factory wiring short. Replaced the wiring in question and no problems since.
Old 08-27-17, 07:51 AM
Richy21
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
well after picking up the car and having it back for about 2 days i lost power steering once again, i am gonna call them again and most likely they will replace the steering ecu. i will keep you guys update it
damn bud. Keep your head up. Under warranty I hope?
Old 08-27-17, 05:50 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^He bought an extended third party warranty when he bought the car! And boy has it payed off for him

I told him I think the aftermarket warranty company hates him now because of what they've had to shell out for his repairs. I said they probably have a picture of your car in one of their cubicles and throw darts at it out of frustration lol...............
Old 09-06-17, 10:53 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brad3275
I know of one member here who had this issue recently. Lexus had the factory rep come to town and he traced it back to a shorted wire. Not sure which one, but it was a factory wiring short. Replaced the wiring in question and no problems since.
i told them about that but they seem to just playing puzzle game, replacing parts and just hoping it will get fix smh
Old 09-06-17, 10:54 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richy21
damn bud. Keep your head up. Under warranty I hope?
yes, still under aftermarket warranty but not for that much longer less than 3k miles left on it.
Old 09-06-17, 10:56 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

just a quick update, lexus has decided to replace the steering rack and pinion again with a new one plus a new steering ecu, hopefully that fixes the issue and hoping it is not a wiring issue like someone else mentioned before

Quick Reply: power steering issue