Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Maserati owners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 12:22 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Maserati owners?

Anyone ever own a recent Maserati? Wondering how reliability is, and if it is a DIY type of car? Opinions are welcome. Thinking of looking at a 2012-13 GranTurismo
Old 08-16-17, 02:39 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Unless you have deep pocket, maintenance will kill ya.

The engines are Ferrari made and tuned.
Old 08-16-17, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Anyone ever own a recent Maserati? Wondering how reliability is, and if it is a DIY type of car? Opinions are welcome. Thinking of looking at a 2012-13 GranTurismo
Almost nothing produced in recent years is truly a DIY car, especially in the luxury/premium-class. As for reliability, Consumer Reports does not have much detailed data on it because of low sales, but what data they have suggests well-below-average reliability...typical of many Italian-designed cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-16-17 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 07:01 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
What are you looking for? Do you just want into the Maserati family? The GranTurismo is a beautiful beautiful car and sounds wonderful. You need to pay to play though, and maintenance is expensive. You can get a used one for around $60k, but if you are just looking for performance, there are plenty of new $60k cars that will out perform this car.

Repairs are an unpredictable, but potentially pricey expense, and they aren't known for their reliability. Remember, this is a $140k luxury sports car with parts that add up to that cost, so replacing those parts will be $$$. As far as DIY, unless you are a Ferrari mechanic, I don't see a lot of DIY aspects to these cars besides the basic oil change, fluid checks etc.

Keep this in mind though: you can get this car for half of what it went for 5 years ago, but that residual value has maintenance expenses that are factored into it. Your purchase price is only part of the cost of ownership.

Anyway, good luck, they really are beautiful cars. Let us know what happens!
Old 08-16-17, 10:10 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I just saw this:
Old 08-17-17, 12:31 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^i really enjoyed that video hahaha
Old 08-17-17, 02:30 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Honestly I've driven one of the 2009 Quatropolltees with the traditional torque converter automatic trans, man it drives just like a normal automatic car, no hesitation, no jerkyness like that stupid paddle shift car Doug tested. Great transmission, great driving car, fast, great sound from the exhaust, great handling, hell I even liked the *****house red leather/black combo on the interior. Doug does have a good point about the infotainment system being about 10 years behind the times though, otherwise the interior was very well furnished IMO.
Old 08-17-17, 06:04 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Haven't been looking at anything seriously, I've just fallen in love with the GranTurismo's looks. Figured I'd ask here for some experience with them.

Not really looking to have to deal with the Ferrari V8. Especially one that hasn't been changed in so long. The poor car is so down on power compared to comparable cars it's crazy. But it is beautiful
Old 08-17-17, 07:33 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Despite some of the people that are responding. I actually own a Granturismo…. Man every day I stare at my car in the garage… it gets attention wherever I go. I could have purchase a number of cars… The car is like a model..No she can’t cook or write an essay. But when she shows up to the party every man in the building wants her.My Granturismo has been very reliable. More than I dare say my Lexus IS250. The car is built to be service 1 time a year. Yes, it’s expensive but last year I only needed an oil change vs the 1k service. I’m actually selling mine b/c me and wifey is starting a family. I’ll probably purchase an S class next. If you have any questions please feel free to hit me up.
Old 08-17-17, 04:51 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
And I just saw this:
Did you Doug's other Maserati video?

Old 08-17-17, 05:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Current GranTurismo is one of my favorite coupe designs - just beautiful design and the exhaust note is pure exotic. I actually saw 2 today, coupe and vert.
While I love the design, i was not impressed with how it drives at all. Its definitely on the GT side and not very sporty, steering is vague, brakes have no feel etc. Also interior tech is VERY dated.

Its one of those cars that look way better than they drive.
Old 08-17-17, 08:03 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I was going through this same issue about 2 months ago. I was between a Mercedes CLS550 and a Maserati Quattroporte. Did a lot of research and ultimately went with the Mercedes. I knew going in that neither would be trouble free like my Lexus, but fit and finish issues, engine troubles, and electrical issues that I constantly read about scared me away. I have two family members who have or had Maserati's. One still has a 2 year old quattroporte. I have visited her 3 times in the past two years and she had a rental 2/3 times. The other one had a GranTurismo and traded it in for a 2013 Bentley GT. He said the Bentley is night and day for reliability and fit/finish. Of course they may be in different price ranges but I would do some serious research. I think from reviews and reading online Maserati has gotten slightly more popular because of their Ghibli because of its lower starting price but from what I have heard many aren't happy with the car.
Old 08-18-17, 08:13 AM
rogers2
Racer

People should stop comparing a Ghibli to a Granturismo. They are totally two different cars. The Ghibli was made for the masses. I am a Mercedes guy… I have own 3 high end Mercedes. CLS, 2 CL which is essential an S class in the coupe version. My CLS was the most reliable of the 3 cars but it’s basically an E class with a beautiful body. My Granturismo can’t touch a CL or S class on comfort and technology. Do I miss all those features hmm a little bit? But those cars never brought a smile too my face like the Granturismo.Nobody compares a 200k Bentley to a Granturismo. A Bentley is an old man car just like my previous CL550. The Granturismo is not for everyone. So greg3852 please drive as many cars as possible before you purchase. I also highly suggest you go to a actual Masearti forum. Maserati for life.com for more information.
Old 08-18-17, 06:09 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Coincidentally, I just came across a killer deal on a 2018 GranTurismo. Being a lease, maintenance will not be an issue. I will be test driving it hopefully soon. However, looking at the performance numbers, I was kind of disappointed that my current M3 was a much more capable sports car, despite being a sedan. I'm sure the driving experience has to be markedly different, and hopefully better, but the GT is still very heavy. They sound spectacular and I love the styling... I'll have to judge for myself behind the wheel.
Old 08-20-17, 01:59 PM
rogers2
Racer

Where did you see a 2018? I thought the 2018 don't arrive until Sept....

Quick Reply: Maserati owners?