LC Model (2018-present)

Standard vs Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 02:47 PM
hexhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard vs Synthetic Oil

Bot a new LC 500 (not the h model). Manual says 5w30 but doesn't say if its synthetic or standard. A service consultant at my dealer says it should be synthetic since all lexus cars after 2010 use synthetic. I have reason to believe that is not true. Does anyone know. Can't believe the manual is silent on this issue but I've found Lexus Manuals are not very good.
Old 08-15-17, 03:02 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Doubt it's synthetic since oil change is every 6 months.
Old 08-15-17, 03:32 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hexhead
No idea where you came up with every 6 months. More like every 6K miles.
For this V8, first 1k miles , then every 5k miles. One thing to notice: LC500's engine is almost identical to RCF's. Basically, you can refer to RCF's manual.

Regarding the oil type, at least on RCF's manual, it is recommended to use non-synthetic oil. I have heard that it is because it somehow helps initial break in (helps seat the rings on the pistons etc.) As far as I know, lots of RCF's owners eventually switched to good quality synthetic oil after 10k or 15k miles. That is also what my dealer told me.

My plan is to stick with conventional oil for the first two free service (1k, 5k). Then afterwards, I will switch to high quality synthetic oil.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ahhadanny:
hexhead (08-15-17), mcomer (01-18-19)
Old 08-15-17, 04:34 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Waste of $$$, but whatever. I'll be sticking with "high quality" non-synthetic oil. Even after my free 1k, 5k, and 10k services.
Old 08-15-17, 07:18 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Waste of $$$, but whatever. I'll be sticking with "high quality" non-synthetic oil. Even after my free 1k, 5k, and 10k services.
So what's your "high quality" non synthetic oil?
The following users liked this post:
Zeitaku (06-14-18)
Old 08-15-17, 07:47 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by happy1977
So what's your "high quality" non synthetic oil?
Whatever Lexus decides to put in that day.
Old 08-16-17, 05:28 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

rational behind non synthetic makes no sense

synthetic you can increase oil changes to 7500-10k with no issues
you save just on increasing intervals by 50%

less trips to dealership

increase of gas mileage by 1mpg to 1.5mpg

and increase protection against heat, cold starts and better over all lubrication
anyone that uses regular oil besides those motors that specifically call for non synthetic don't understand technology and automobiles
Old 08-16-17, 05:50 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
rational behind non synthetic makes no sense

synthetic you can increase oil changes to 7500-10k with no issues
you save just on increasing intervals by 50%

less trips to dealership

increase of gas mileage by 1mpg to 1.5mpg

and increase protection against heat, cold starts and better over all lubrication
anyone that uses regular oil besides those motors that specifically call for non synthetic don't understand technology and automobiles
Warranty requires 6 month service intervals (or at least avoids any potential hassles). So why flush synthetic every 6 months. Also, resale will be better for those that follow the Lexus service intervals (no more, no less). There's no refuting that. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Last edited by TimboIS; 08-16-17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 09:24 AM
hexhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conventional Oil in new LC500

After considerable effort, I finally received a call from my dealer service mgr. He confirmed that MY car has conventional 5w30. Its a new car and despite the general "belief" all lexus cars from 2010 have synthetic oil, the 471 in the LC and RCF have conventional oil. His response was in direct conflict with his own service consultant and technology "expert", both of whom said my car had synthetic 5w30 oil in it. His technology "expert" was about as rude to me as you can get, insisting that my car had synthetic oil and that I would never have to add oil anyway so I didn't need to carry a quart of oil on my trips. I will be switching dealers for future services. BTW, I had also confirmed with Lexus Customer Satisfaction that my car had conventional oil. They were, on the other hand, exceptionally helpful and NOT DEMEANING like my dealer's so-called expert was.
Old 08-18-17, 06:16 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Isn't most conventional oil these days a blend with a fair amount of synthetic in it anyways?

I too too agree that conventional is fine. Have you ever seen the 10qts of oil that come out of the Fs at 5000 miles? It looks brand new!

And, btw, it's almost always the filter, not the oil, that wears out first.
Old 08-20-17, 09:56 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Warranty requires 6 month service intervals (or at least avoids any potential hassles). So why flush synthetic every 6 months. Also, resale will be better for those that follow the Lexus service intervals (no more, no less). There's no refuting that. Sorry to burst your bubble.

burst my bubble?????? have 30 years being a enthusiast, loving cars, and research everything
do as u please its not my bubble, the conversation is so ridiculous to debate, only way is as an example i heard the rc f or gs f are saying using regular oil
i would do as the manufacturer said if there is a reason
other than that u use regular motor oil and best of luck
Old 10-24-17, 11:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

For reference, http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...MS-18LC500.pdf

And yes, every 5000 miles is an oil change.
Old 06-07-18, 10:10 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

s
Originally Posted by hexhead
Bot a new LC 500 (not the h model). Manual says 5w30 but doesn't say if its synthetic or standard. A service consultant at my dealer says it should be synthetic since all lexus cars after 2010 use synthetic. I have reason to believe that is not true. Does anyone know. Can't believe the manual is silent on this issue but I've found Lexus Manuals are not very good.
According to the Lexus invoice, they put synthetic oil in my RCF. Assuming it was 5x30, but I will have to ask. Actually I would like to confirm that synthetic was used, since many, including me, are not 100% sure what oil our dealerships put in our cars.
Old 06-07-18, 01:32 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It comes with conventional 5W30 from the factory, I had my free oil change with conventional oil. When I paid for my oil change in May, I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 extended service full synthetic..
I will still have my oil changed every 6 months for warranty purposes. The dealer said they wouldn't pay for synthetic and neither would Lexus for my free oil change. Not all conventional motor oil is a blend unless it says so on the bottle of oil.
Old 06-07-18, 02:04 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 249 Posts

I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.
The following users liked this post:
TNSC430 (11-13-21)

Quick Reply: Standard vs Synthetic Oil