GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

'14 GX 460 dead w/19K miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 11:49 AM
FlipnIrish
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy '14 GX 460 dead w/19K miles

Bottom line: My 2014 GX won't start; though, it seems like it wants to.

Description: I drove it to work and everything was fine. It's about a 10 mile trip, 20 to and from home to work. I went to go home at the end of the day, about a nine hour day, and it would not crank over. It seemed as if the battery was fine and it was cranking, but no turnover. For some added info, I live in England w/ a USD GX460. I'm in the military serving overseas.

Anyone have any clue what the hell is going on with my car???

Thanks in Advance!
Old 08-11-17, 12:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

If starter is cranking it could be a failed fuel pump.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...fuel-pump.html

You might see if you can hear any buzzing noises back there showing it is working when you power on the car. It should be located under the 2nd row seat area on driver's side.
Old 08-11-17, 06:25 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

2014 should be under the factory warranty, do you have any Lexus dealerships in your area.
Old 08-11-17, 06:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

On out of country warranty...

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answe...ty-coverage%3F

"As noted in the Lexus Warranty and Services Guide, warranty coverage is only applicable to any vehicle registered and normally operated within the United States and Canada. If you are touring or relocating outside of the U.S., Canada or Mexico warranty service is not provided by the local dealer because the local Lexus distributor may have no obligation to provide warranty service to your vehicle and/or your Lexus may not comply with the regulatory and/or environmental requirements of certain countries. In addition, depending on the model, it may be difficult to obtain appropriate Lexus Genuine parts for service and repairs. Please contact the local Lexus distributor applicable to the area for more information.

If you intend to take your current Lexus vehicle to another country, we recommend that you:
  1. Contact the Lexus distributor of the country where you plan to take your vehicle to clarify what type of services they can provide.
  2. Purchase an Owner's Manual and Repair Manual to assist the local Lexus distributor when performing repair or service for your vehicle. Please visit our Purchasing an Owner's Manual or Repair Manual FAQ."
Old 08-12-17, 01:59 PM
FlipnIrish
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

I had the vehicle towed to Lexus of Cambridge and contacted Lexus Customer Service back in the US. They said they would cover it, but they sent me a hell of list of items I had to provide them in order to get reimbursed. The dealership here (UK) took the job and still hasn't figured out why it is acting the way it is. As suggested earlier, I heard the whine of the fuel pump so it sounds like its working.

I'm at a lost...
Old 08-12-17, 04:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If the Toyota dealership's Techstream isn't finding any issues that is odd.

How long did vehicle run since last fill up at service station? Just curious if if t could be a fuel issue.

In UK is the diesel nozzle bigger like in US? Always a chance fuel filler put in diesel versus gasoline(petrol) as well. That happened a few years ago at a service station right next to me.
Old 08-12-17, 05:05 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
If the Toyota dealership's Techstream isn't finding any issues that is odd.

How long did vehicle run since last fill up at service station? Just curious if if t could be a fuel issue.

In UK is the diesel nozzle bigger like in US? Always a chance fuel filler put in diesel versus gasoline(petrol) as well. That happened a few years ago at a service station right next to me.
Very good point.

Being US military in the UK means very cheap fuel (tax free) from the base fuel station, so very likely the vehicle would be fueled there than on the economy. I bring this up because if the GX was fueled up with contaminated fuel, it would probably not travel that far. It may however travel enough to make it from an on base fuel station to the parking space on base (where it wouldn't fire up).

Was the GX fueled up right before you had parked it the day it would not fire up? If so, how far from the on-base fuel station to your parking spot?

As Acrad wrote, could be diesel pump nozzle mix up, or perhaps contaminants in the Base's fuel station petrol storage tank (water, diesel etc.).

Look forward to reading about the cause.

Good luck
Old 08-13-17, 01:43 AM
FlipnIrish
Driver School Candidate

They don't sell diesel on the base that I buy and put fuel in this car. I have to go to another base for diesel. I have noticed the fuel they sell on base is only 90 oct/94 oct (UK) rating. Just curious, how would I test the fuel?
Old 08-13-17, 04:18 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FlipnIrish
They don't sell diesel on the base that I buy and put fuel in this car. I have to go to another base for diesel. I have noticed the fuel they sell on base is only 90 oct/94 oct (UK) rating. Just curious, how would I test the fuel?
I'd expect that the Lexus dealer would pull a sample from the tank, perhaps even drain it to analyze the fuel for contaminates as they progress in their diagnosis. I would expect that the 90 octane (US rating) would be OK to use and so wouldn't think that to be the cause.

Did you fuel up on base right right before parking for the day?
Old 08-14-17, 12:54 PM
FlipnIrish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GX4602011

Did you fuel up on base right right before parking for the day?
I filled up a few days before, not exactly sure.how many days though.
Old 08-20-17, 04:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FlipnIrish
I filled up a few days before, not exactly sure.how many days though.

Any updates? Really curious to hear what the issue was here.
Old 08-22-17, 07:55 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Also looking forward to the cause.
Old 08-26-17, 12:54 PM
FlipnIrish
Driver School Candidate

We folks, I got the call and my car is ready for pick up. The dealer replace the ECU and a relay. I'm going to find out which relay was replaced and let you all know.
The following 3 users liked this post by FlipnIrish:
Acrad (09-01-17), GX4602011 (08-26-17), User21c (08-26-17)
Old 09-01-17, 11:15 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back. ECU failure seems to be a rare one..
Old 09-21-17, 12:35 PM
FlipnIrish
Driver School Candidate

So here comes part two to the thread. Having the vehicle fixed at a local Lexus dealership, they won't honor the warranty and I have to place a claim through US Lexus through the Lexus Satisfaction Inquires email. I have done so and was rejected. Since the vehicle is in the UK, Lexus US said to contact Lexus UK for the claim. I have shown Lexus UK the email that Lexus US sent and they point the finger back at US. My question is, why does the customer have to become the liaison between the company? Why can't Lexus US contact Lexus UK or vice versa? Does anyone have any advice?

I'm losing my mind over this crap!

Quick Reply: '14 GX 460 dead w/19K miles