Front/Rear Rotors and Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 10:02 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Front/Rear Rotors and Calipers

hi all,

so, i've installed the larger f-sport rotors and calipers on the front of my car. my question is can i install the oem front rotors and calipers on the rear axle or is that not possible? i want maximum performance as well as better aesthetics because my wheels show a lot of what's going on underneath.

thanks, all!
Old 08-10-17, 11:41 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
hi all,

so, i've installed the larger f-sport rotors and calipers on the front of my car. my question is can i install the oem front rotors and calipers on the rear axle or is that not possible? i want maximum performance as well as better aesthetics because my wheels show a lot of what's going on underneath.

thanks, all!
Not possible and would negatively effect the braking of the vehicle even if you could...it would be too much brakes for the rear. The rear only does about 30-40% of the braking anyways.
Old 08-10-17, 12:29 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

oh top of that, the e-brakes would be a royal pain to get to work properly.
Old 08-10-17, 12:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by otakusan
oh top of that, the e-brakes would be a royal pain to get to work properly.
Oh yeah...that too.
Old 08-10-17, 01:08 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

thanks, guys. i'll leave the tiny brakes alone.
Old 08-16-17, 11:24 PM
FredyGutz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi all,

thanks, all!
I've wanted to buy these for my car as well but when I ask the dealership everytime they tell me I shouldn't bother because they squeak too much and don't last long. Do you have any comments on this? are they squeaky
Old 08-17-17, 10:15 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by FredyGutz
I've wanted to buy these for my car as well but when I ask the dealership everytime they tell me I shouldn't bother because they squeak too much and don't last long. Do you have any comments on this? are they squeaky
Yes, they are squeaky when cold. Just backing out of my driveway is enough to warm them up, even in cold weather, however. I've also seen where others in this forum have to get new pads after 15-20k miles. However, supposedly they do offer a performance benefit. From my one test drive of a non-F-Sport model, I think the F Sport brakes do seem to offer a little more initial bite, but it's been a while.
Old 08-17-17, 12:29 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yes, they are squeaky when cold. Just backing out of my driveway is enough to warm them up, even in cold weather, however. I've also seen where others in this forum have to get new pads after 15-20k miles. However, supposedly they do offer a performance benefit. From my one test drive of a non-F-Sport model, I think the F Sport brakes do seem to offer a little more initial bite, but it's been a while.
same experience here as arentz07.
Old 08-17-17, 09:25 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I dont know about you guys but my I have been thru 2 set of OEM pads. And switched to Power Stop Z23 pads with zero squeaky sounds regardless the weather. On the other hand, my cousin RC350 is very noisy every morning even he got new Z23 pads like me.
Old 08-18-17, 12:35 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

by larger F-Sport rotors and calipers, do you mean the blue F-Sport big brake it? if so, how do you like it?

I believe the kit is just a relabled STOP TECH kit so I am sure you can get a variety of better/quieter pads if they squeak bad
Old 08-18-17, 05:56 AM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi all,

thanks, all!
There really is no need to have upgraded brakes in the rear to be honest. Rear brakes on most cars do very little of the actual "heavy lifting" when it comes to stopping. The increase in added unsprung weight to the rear could potentially have a negative effect on the overall handling of the car.
Old 08-18-17, 06:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by volthause
There really is no need to have upgraded brakes in the rear to be honest. Rear brakes on most cars do very little of the actual "heavy lifting" when it comes to stopping. The increase in added unsprung weight to the rear could potentially have a negative effect on the overall handling of the car.
there's an aesthetic need.
Old 08-18-17, 07:00 AM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there's an aesthetic need.
If you worship at the alter of form over function, and have deep enough pockets, I'm sure there is a larger rear brake kit out there for you. Good luck.
Old 08-18-17, 07:02 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by volthause
If you worship at the alter of form over function, and have deep enough pockets, I'm sure there is a larger rear brake kit out there for you. Good luck.
altar*****
The following users liked this post:
volthause (08-18-17)
Old 08-18-17, 09:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Curious, wouldn't having larger brakes at the rear cause more rotation under braking? Figured that's going to be more difficult to drive on-road, maybe more dangerous.

Quick Reply: Front/Rear Rotors and Calipers