Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car Wax Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 09:43 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car Wax Suggestions

Before I move on I will say I have searched and read many previous posts about wax and sealer. I am just getting general opinions about what people have used and experimented with.

-The past couple years I have become lazy and only have used Meguiars Ultimate Wax. For the most part it does a good job with water repel as well as medium gloss/shine. However I waxed my car about a month ago and it feels dry. I will say we have had an exceptionally hot July here, just wanted to know what the people in the southern states use to protect during the hottest months or the year.

-This is a what I use thread... thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-17, 09:50 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Although we don't see hot temperatures like you would, here's what I use.

if I'm feeling lazy, I'll use p21s 100% carnauba paste wax. Holds up pretty well to our weather, and through winter as well.

if I don't feel as lazy, I'll use Wolfgang paint sealant, followed by swissvax insignis. Which ends up being like a 3 day job haha.
Old 08-09-17, 02:13 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Which ever paste wax is on sale and reapply as needed. I enjoy the mindlessness of waxing the car as a break every now and then.
Old 08-09-17, 02:23 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

What you're doing sounds good. I moved away from wax years ago and went to sealants. I find the sealants last a few weeks longer but have a different "look"

If it feels "dry" you might want to consider a clay/polish to freshen up the surface.

Jay89 mentioned Wolfgang...good stuff. I use a number of them and most of them are very similar.

Just depends how twisted one is about polishing/waxing a car. Have you tried some of the waterless wash products ?

Last edited by FastFord; 08-09-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 05:17 PM
TVAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Meguiars tech wax. Easy on, easy off. Unless you have white car, you won't be able to see the wax. First either clay bar or do a step 1 cleaner if it's been awhile since you have waxed. Hope this helps. I put off waxing my Nissan truck too long and I had to have it buffed out for $250. Won't do that again!
Old 08-09-17, 06:00 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TVAN
I like the Meguiars tech wax. Easy on, easy off. Unless you have white car, you won't be able to see the wax. First either clay bar or do a step 1 cleaner if it's been awhile since you have waxed. Hope this helps. I put off waxing my Nissan truck too long and I had to have it buffed out for $250. Won't do that again!
I was going to write the same thing.
If it doesn't feel smooth, clay bar.
I usually clay bar twice a year. Once before the summer. Once before the winter.

Tech wax is very easy to work with.
Old 08-09-17, 09:24 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've used tech wax before. Although very easy to use, I find it doesn't last very long. The p21s paste is only slightly more difficult to use, but lasts longer, and I find gives the paint a deeper shine than the meguires.
Old 08-09-17, 09:59 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've been using Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. it's not the best wax, but it's very quick and easy to apply.
Old 08-09-17, 10:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I use opti gloss coat. Easy to apply and it lasts 2 years. Sometimes I also use opti seal on top to get a slightly wetter look. No wax has near the durability.
Old 08-09-17, 11:06 PM
snaf0rz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm a huge fan of menzerna power lock sealant and all of menzerna's products in general.
Old 08-10-17, 12:30 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the wax you're using now (Meguiars Ultimate Wax) is an excellent wax that i would not hesitate to use. this is coming from someone who has quite a collection of high dollar waxes
Old 08-10-17, 02:49 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 since I got my car. I apply it about every three months, touching up with their spritz sealant in between. The application is effortless and the finish looks like new years later.
Old 08-10-17, 07:24 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Meguiars m20 and m21 are great choices. M20 contains cleaners and m20 doesn't so it performs. Use Meguiars express spray wax as maintenance can go a long way. Very affordable and works very well. All are available from the professional line of products from Meguiars.

Synthetic sealants are far more durable than carnauba paste waxes.

Honestly its mostly in the prep work, if the paint your applying this on is prepped well it will last longer such as claying, polishing.
Old 08-10-17, 10:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Durable, long-lasting wax = Collinite 845
Old 08-10-17, 11:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Collinite 476, lasts longer and more durable then most sealants, priced pretty cheap too.
Zaino products are good, expensive/overpriced, process normally involves 2 steps and can be finicky to put on but still good.
Blackfire Wet Diamond, overpriced but easy to apply and very good.
Klass AIO is good too and not priced too high.

All of these have good durability and protection and what I like to use, better then what you find at the local Wal mart.

Quick Reply: Car Wax Suggestions