RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Am I the only person who specifically look for ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 09:28 PM
Moikoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Am I the only person who specifically look for ...

a Japanese made RX? These are getting rarer by the day. Do you care if your RX was made in Japan or Canada?

Bought a Japanese made 2017 RX 350 that is white pearl with walnut wood and black leather. I wish it came with gray leather, but I don't think the Japanese made a white pearl/gray leather with walnut trim combo.
Old 07-28-17, 04:08 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm not sure anymore. It used to be that the hybrids were still made in japan.

But ALL RX's are made in Canada. Do you think it affects build quality? I'm not so sure with droning and vibration etc.

Mine works great.

Look at the VIN 2= Canada J= Japan

I will say it is nice to have a J vin and know the parts are directly from Japan with japanese people building it. The wife has a prius prime that was made in Japan with the carbon fiber trunk made from the same factor as the LFA. Alot of the parts all have japanese with english added which shows where it's from.
Old 07-28-17, 04:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

I thought the same that all the RX350 units were made in Canada while the 450h was still made in Japan.

BUT, my sticker says my 450h is assembled in Canada.

Have no complaints, both 450h have worked without flaw.
The following users liked this post:
EGLIDE (05-04-21)
Old 07-28-17, 04:36 AM
dougef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2017 RX at the end of December that was made in Japan. When Looking at available vehicles, I was not aware that some were made in Japan. The salesman found a vehicle I was interested in and commented that this one was made in Japan - and said many people look specifically for those. (Note - I am in the Northeastern US.)
Old 07-28-17, 04:47 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dougef
I bought a 2017 RX at the end of December that was made in Japan. When Looking at available vehicles, I was not aware that some were made in Japan. The salesman found a vehicle I was interested in and commented that this one was made in Japan - and said many people look specifically for those. (Note - I am in the Northeastern US.)
Hmm.. That's so funny. Can you verify by looking at your vin. I asked 3 salesman and they all said the RX's are no longer made in Japan for the US models.
dannnn (08-15-20)
Old 07-28-17, 09:14 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Let's stay on topic please.
Old 07-28-17, 09:20 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by kitlz
Let's stay on topic please.
Was a post deleted? All 5 posts I see are specifically about the COO topic.
Old 07-28-17, 09:35 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You're not the only one. It would be great if my RX was made in Japan, but it's not. Oh well, at least my other 2 are.
Old 07-28-17, 09:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Was a post deleted? All 5 posts I see are specifically about the COO topic.
Yes, a few posts were removed.
Old 07-28-17, 09:49 AM
Moikoi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I'm not sure anymore. It used to be that the hybrids were still made in japan.

But ALL RX's are made in Canada. Do you think it affects build quality? I'm not so sure with droning and vibration etc.

Mine works great.

Look at the VIN 2= Canada J= Japan

I will say it is nice to have a J vin and know the parts are directly from Japan with japanese people building it. The wife has a prius prime that was made in Japan with the carbon fiber trunk made from the same factor as the LFA. Alot of the parts all have japanese with english added which shows where it's from.
I don't know but i'd prefer one made in Japan. Nowadays, probably 90% of all new RXs are made in Canada.
Old 07-28-17, 11:31 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I could care less where a car is made. These days the factories are all state of the art and mostly controlled by machines.

My only issue was many years ago a specific car was made in Japan and getting parts was a bit of an issue. The part was slightly different from the one made in the US. That was years ago and I doubt it's like that anymore.
ggebhardt (07-29-17)
Old 07-28-17, 12:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,684 Posts

The gray leather option is way too light - will get filthy in a short period of time.
Old 07-28-17, 02:20 PM
dougef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Hmm.. That's so funny. Can you verify by looking at your vin. I asked 3 salesman and they all said the RX's are no longer made in Japan for the US models.
My VIN starts with J - AFAIK, that means it was made in Japan. My previous RX (2012) began with a 2 - I think that means made in Canada.

Just went to my dealer's website and looked at RX inventory. First 3 I clicked on - 2 were J's and one was a 2. The website lists the VINs for all inventory.
Old 07-28-17, 04:23 PM
Moikoi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FastFord
I could care less where a car is made. These days the factories are all state of the art and mostly controlled by machines.

My only issue was many years ago a specific car was made in Japan and getting parts was a bit of an issue. The part was slightly different from the one made in the US. That was years ago and I doubt it's like that anymore.
On the J made cars it does not list parts from any other countries, so I'd assume that all the parts are made in Japan and assembled in Japan.
Old 07-29-17, 06:51 AM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered a custom built RX 350 3 months back. It rolled out of the factory in Canada this month and arrives next week. It has a VIN 2xx. It is built in Canada. I would definitely prefer an Rx built in Japan over one made in the Canada or the US. I had purchased a Honda CRV EXL made in Japan 10 years back. I had given it to my son, it still runs wonderful and has not had any breakdown other than regularly scheduled services at around 10k miles (oil/fluid change, brake pad replacement etc). I bought a Lexus Rx 350 for my wife 4 years back (which we are now replacing) and it has around 40k miles and runs wonderfully. So maybe my preference may be biased not based on facts. But then my Acura MDZ made in Canada 4 years back has its share of breakdowns. Could be an Acura design flaw rather than a manufacturing problem.

Quick Reply: Am I the only person who specifically look for ...