Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is this a good deal for a Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 02:14 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Is this a good deal for a Civic?

Hello guys,

We've made the decision to move forward with the '17 Civic Touring. I've made a few inquires with Honda dealers, and the best price I've gotten for the $27,475 sticker price civic was a selling price of $24,200 + tax.

I know Hondas cannot be discount as heavy and aggressive as Lexus, and other luxury cars. But, do you guys think this price is a good deal? Any inputs?

(I should probably be posting on a Honda forums... )
Old 07-27-17, 04:37 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Just go in say your are here to deal, get ready with a deposit for 23,500 + tax. You will soon find out if they can do it, just be prepared to walk out the door. If they say there is no way they can do that number, say, Thank you for your time and start to walk out. If they don`t chase you then you will know if they are giving you the best deal they can. I know there is not much room to move on a civic but being the end of 2017 they might have some incentives for the dealers to get them off the lot. These deals will be between Honda and the dealer principal, not advertised specials.
Old 07-27-17, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Honda is not known for giving much, if anything, in the way of factory rebates....they have traditionally relied on reputation and demand to sell their vehicles (and, usually, it has worked). I just checked the current U.S. Honda web site, and the only factory-offer for the 2017 Civic sedan is 0.9% APR for 24-60 months or 1.9% APR for 61-72 months (expires Sept.5)......and, of course, that will not be an issue unless you are financing it.

So, IMO, given the lack of factory-rebates, and the fact that you are getting the top-of-the-line Civic Sedan version (short of the sport-oriented Si), just over 24K for an almost $27,500 sticker doesn't look bad, though I at least partially agree with FastFord that, if possible, try to get it down to 23.5K. Even if they say no, if I were in your shoes, and liked the car, I wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker....take it home and enjoy it. Besides, Civics traditionally have relatively low depreciation, and you'll get a decent chunk of that price back at trade-in (or selling) time, if you take care of the car and keep it in good condition.

Good Luck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-17 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 05:46 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

That touring trim is nice. My neighbor has one and I always glance at it when I'm coming and going. As for the price, I agree with the guys above me. Also, check the Honda forums (if you haven't already) and see if there's a "How much did you pay" thread ?
Old 07-27-17, 06:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah that's a nice car, so good choice. It's a hot selling car and it's a new generation of the Civic since 2016, so yeah not many discounts to be had because dealers know they can move these.

Want to wait until the late fall into winter? You might find dealers who are lot more flexible at that point because that's when the fiscal quarter sales need to be worked on and new inventory for the next model year is being shipped in. Also the general rule is that you might get around 8-10% off MSRP on hot selling vehicle during peak demand.

If you really want to get a price close to your number don't go in on a weekend when everyone's in their store. Find out the slow times and head in and see what the number might be.
Old 07-27-17, 06:19 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply guys.

I did do some searching on Honda Forums, but I can't find one of those "How much did you pay threads"? Plus, Honda forums aren't as active as ClubLexus; or maybe I'm not looking at the right forums.

Regarding the incentives, the APR % is pretty good and we do plan to finance (3 years). Plus, we still have the "$500 College Graduate" card that I haven't played yet.

Also, I have not dealt with anyone in person yet. All I did was inquiries online, and couple emails back and forth to get a good price. I will try to get the car for $23.5k like you guys said. But, many aren't budging below the 24k mark. (Best quote is $24,191).

And, we kinda don't want to wait till the end of the year... cause like mmarshall said, the APR incentive expires on 9/5. Plus, color options will be scares.

Last edited by nathantse; 07-27-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Thanks for the reply guys.

I did do some searching on Honda Forums, but I can't find one of those "How much did you pay threads"? Plus, Honda forums aren't as active as ClubLexus; or maybe I'm not looking at the right forums.

Regarding the incentives, the APR % is pretty good and we do plan to finance (3 years). Plus, we still have the "$500 College Graduate" card that I haven't played yet.

Also, I have not dealt with anyone in person yet. All I did was inquiries online, and couple emails back and forth to get a good price. I will try to get the car for $23.5k like you guys said. But, many aren't budging below the 24k mark. (Best quote is $24,191).

And, we kinda don't want to wait till the end of the year... cause like mmarshall said, the APR incentive expires on 9/5. Plus, color options will be scares.

24K, IMO, isn't bad for a car like that.. I wouldn't let that, in itself, be a deal-breaker.

You're correct about ClubLexus.....we get a LOT of traffic, and quick responses. That's one reason why this Car Chat site is so popular....you don't wait forever to get an answer.
Old 07-27-17, 06:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. At $24,191, you're probably not that far off from what the dealer wants to see. Basically if you look at how they're working it, they don't expect anyone to pay MSRP so they'll discount right away to get you interested and then you and them are working on what amount of their wiggle room (hold back and admin fees) they'll concede to you.

But there was some excellent advice on some threads on here about buying in general. One poster had an excellent piece of advice: never tell the dealer you are looking to lease or finance ahead of time because that gives them the leverage. Get a final number from them, ie. out-the-door price and then go in and ask for the low rate finance.
Old 07-27-17, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Honda doesn't have a huge markup on their cars, thats a good price for the car IMHO. I helped my cousin negotiate his Civic.
Old 07-27-17, 07:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Last year I looked between a Civic and an Accord for my father and like some have said here and talking to the sales guy, there didn't seem to be much margin on the Civic compared to the Accord.
Old 07-27-17, 08:22 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
I agree. At $24,191, you're probably not that far off from what the dealer wants to see. Basically if you look at how they're working it, they don't expect anyone to pay MSRP so they'll discount right away to get you interested and then you and them are working on what amount of their wiggle room (hold back and admin fees) they'll concede to you.

But there was some excellent advice on some threads on here about buying in general. One poster had an excellent piece of advice: never tell the dealer you are looking to lease or finance ahead of time because that gives them the leverage. Get a final number from them, ie. out-the-door price and then go in and ask for the low rate finance.
Curious, what kind of leverage does the dealer have when they know/don't know if I'm leasing or financing?

And, is it better to be asking for selling price or OTD price when it comes to negotiating? So far, I have been just asking/given selling price of vehicle. They mention tax + fees, and I do know my sales tax in my area is 10%, not sure what other fees? (License/Reg, anything else that is "Honda Specific"?
Old 07-28-17, 04:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Aside from a large rebate (like Buicks 18% off MSRP), this is an excellent deal. I am sure they have a large kickback from Honda, but in a few weeks when the 18s come out, you won't get anywhere near this deal.

Go for it.
Old 07-28-17, 05:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Curious, what kind of leverage does the dealer have when they know/don't know if I'm leasing or financing?

And, is it better to be asking for selling price or OTD price when it comes to negotiating? So far, I have been just asking/given selling price of vehicle. They mention tax + fees, and I do know my sales tax in my area is 10%, not sure what other fees? (License/Reg, anything else that is "Honda Specific"?
My dad is stubborn and old-fashioned. he got a great deal on a Civic (more than $1300 less than 3 other Honda dealers), but they tried to tack on an additional fee at the end that amounted to around $400, so he walked. He always uses OTD because this way no matter what they dream up, it can't change. The funny car dealer trick is when additional fees are pre-printed, and in tiny print it says not required by law or DMV. My buddy always tells the dealer he's either paying cash or bringing his own financing. On the Audi he said I use PenFed, and in reality, he doesn't even belong. So they go online and see that the rate was 1.49% at the time (it matters because the car is used /CPO) so they matched it.

Me, I'd be like my dad. VIN etching, remove it. Pinstripe, not paying. Conveyance fee, not paying. Wheel locks, not paying. Throw in floor mats for free. Remove DMV fees, I'll handle myself. After all that, they tacked on another $400 "bogus" fee, dealer specific, and he walked and did the same at Buick. who had no issues removing conveyance and DMV fees, because my dad was not kidding, he was gonna do it himself, but they want it done on the spot so the car drives away....
Old 07-28-17, 06:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just pit the dealers in your area against one another --- you can buy it anywhere - just get the best price and get it serviced at the nearest dealer.
Old 07-28-17, 08:02 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Has Honda not had the 0.9% in at least the last 10 years running?I bought a 09 accord and it was there.I don't think its going anywhere soon.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal for a Civic?