GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ventilated Seats Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 08:30 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ventilated Seats Not Working

During the last month I just bought a 2011 GS350 with only 15,000 actual miles on it.

It handles like a new one in every way. I love it beyond description.

Except I can't get the seat cooling feature to work. I hear the fan in the seat running but it is very sporadic when it works. I have never felt any cooling from the back of the driver's seat. I've read several of the threads on this forum to try to get an answer. I am thinking the fans don't work.

But I need some help on how to take out the driver's seat to do that--I can't find any instruction video or help anywhere.

Ebay has some fans that seem to work and are relatively low-priced.

But I guess my question is: Even if I replace the fans and they work to perfection, is it really going to be all that good? I realize the fans are only recirculating the cab air conditioning (and yes, I have tried full blast and bi-level air conditioning--it makes no difference). Is it worth the effort to replace the fans in hopes of improving this?
Old 07-26-17, 09:11 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds about right. I bought my '08 460 back in 2014 with only 16k on it, and I was basically in the exact same boat as you. Thought the seat cooling feature was useless, until I took it for a 5 hour car ride through Eastern Washington (the HOT part of the state), then realized I had zero back sweat, and the seat was still cool to the touch. It's not necessarily going to be super cold air blasting your back the whole time, but more of a subtle breeze that prevents your back from getting all sticky. A good test is to crank the AC, turn the cooled seats to 3, wait a minute, then hover your hand over the perforations - you should be able to feel the air coming out. Overall, it's a bit of an underwhelming feature, but it does help a bit!
Old 07-26-17, 09:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Just to clarify, you've got ventilated seats (no active cooling feature) in your GS. Definitely could have a problem with the ventilation fan, but don't expect a blast of cold air out of them. If you do, it's passthrough from the main AC system
Old 07-26-17, 09:32 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Let's say I'm supposed to have ventilated seats. I don't feel any cooling or air or breeze or whatever when I move my hand over the seat probably 80 percent of the time. I play with the blue dial, moving it from 2 to 3 and back and forth, and can occasionally feel a little air. Never have felt anything out of the back fan.

So do you think this is worth my while to try to replace the fans or just live with it?
Old 07-26-17, 01:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just live with it, they just really aren't that powerful unfortunately. Despite this, there's a world of difference between having them on, and having a car with nothing at all, at least in my experience.
Old 07-26-17, 01:34 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

do you hear fan noise? if you do the fan is working, not a whole lot of air from it but is something you can feel, consider swapping out your seat cushion, your 10 years old cushion might be flat and worn which pretty much blocking the vent holes, IMO it was a ***** to do

i live in Vegas with 120 heat when i first got the car i got this

Amazon Amazon

works REALLY well no more sweaty thigh and back everytime i drive but it doesn't sit as comfy but is a good trade off over sweaty back,

then i decided to spend some money and tint my front windshield as well and never worry about it
Old 07-26-17, 03:26 PM
Unclejake
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvsmith
Let's say I'm supposed to have ventilated seats. I don't feel any cooling or air or breeze or whatever when I move my hand over the seat probably 80 percent of the time.
For what it's worth: In my 2007 430 the ventilation only works if the seatbelt is connected.

A robust vacuuming of the seat might help clear any blockages in the leather perforations? Dunno
Old 07-26-17, 07:35 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Like everyone is saying, it's not really powerful. You won't notice much. It's reusing the air inside the vehicle. If it's 200 degrees inside your car, it's recirculating all that hot air through the vents in the seat cushion until the cabin temp cools down.

On the LS and maybe the LX, they have active cooling. Anything below those flagship vehicles has a passive system.
Old 07-27-17, 06:07 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Cushions are definitely blocked. Noticed it working less in the 30K miles and 2 years I've had my GS. Still keeps the back sweat at bay though.
Old 07-27-17, 02:41 PM
pvsmith
Driver

OK. I'll get a soft brush to clean out all the air holes in the seat and give it another try, with some aggressive vacuuming. I do hear the fan noise from the bottom seat, but nothing from the back of the seat. Thanks for the suggestions. I won't go overboard with taking out the seat and replacing all the fans and controllers.
Old 07-27-17, 05:07 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not powerful enough to notice but it helps after my workouts or playing sports, my butt and back sweat dries and stays cool lol. Definitely better than not having this feature at all!
Old 07-28-17, 06:54 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The ventilated seats aren't that powerful in my GS nor were they in my older ES330.

However, if you have the A/C running, it can sometimes suck cold air into the seat and cool you down.
Old 08-01-17, 09:49 AM
pvsmith
Driver

I did a hour's worth of scrubbing and cleaning on the seats and it did make a difference on the air flow out. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess there must have been some dirt or polish or something in some of the holes to block the air.
Old 08-01-17, 11:35 AM
CashLtd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a noob, I am happy to hear I am not the only one feeling this system is underpowered. That said, back sweat has been kept at bay in the Sacramento valley's July heat wave thus far. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Old 06-12-19, 11:53 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a very curious question, my 07 GS 350 came with only heated seats, does the heated seats have a fan? I am wondering if changing the center console switch to ne with the vented switch will it work? Or the seats with vented feature got another fan and another system to do that? I practically never use the heated seats since I live in the caribbean, I will die to have the vented feature.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seats Not Working