LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Keyless entry issue (1991)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 05:27 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Keyless entry issue (1991)

This morning I went out to unlock my car with the button on the master key, but nothing happened. I figured the battery was dead, so I went out and replaced it this afternoon but still nothing. The key still functions properly from a physical standpoint, I just can't use the button on it to lock/unlock doors. Turning the key left/right in the drivers and passenger doors still locks and unlocks all the doors, and using the toggle switch inside the car does the same. I assume this could be an issue with whatever receiver is supposed to be communicating with the key but I don't know anything about that or where it would be located, and searching past posts didn't turn up much useful information. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Old 07-25-17, 06:28 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Not many 1st gen owners have their key fobs anymore, because most have been worn out or lost since 1989. This is likely why there is little information about them.

I don't know if this exists on Celsiors, but there is a remote key on/off switch on LS 400 models. This enables or disables the receiver unit for the key fob.

To troubleshoot the key, you can remove the screw that holds the cover together and check the battery (be careful not to lose the button). However, I would not recommend this, because the plastic is known to get brittle with age and is susceptible to cracking.

Personally, I would recommend just using the regular master key to lock and unlock the car instead of the fob and to turn off the receiver. This puts less of a drain on the battery when the car is sitting, too. I have the fob for my car, but I do not use it.

I don't know anything about the related modules inside the car, but I will check the shop manuals and post anything I find.
Old 07-25-17, 08:48 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by creilly
This morning I went out to unlock my car with the button on the master key, but nothing happened. I figured the battery was dead, so I went out and replaced it this afternoon but still nothing. The key still functions properly from a physical standpoint, I just can't use the button on it to lock/unlock doors. Turning the key left/right in the drivers and passenger doors still locks and unlocks all the doors, and using the toggle switch inside the car does the same. I assume this could be an issue with whatever receiver is supposed to be communicating with the key but I don't know anything about that or where it would be located, and searching past posts didn't turn up much useful information. Does anyone have any advice on this?
If it's not a battery issue, it wouldn't be easy for average DIYers to troubleshoot fully without special equipments.
To use a spectrum analyser would be the best to monitor the RF signal sent from the remote controller. Attached is an example of it. But there is a way to monitor the signal by your ears using a JDM FM radio. An early Celsior uses the frequency 313.625 MHz ± a few MHz for the remote control and the 1/4th frequency of the radio signal can be caught at the frequency of 78-79MHz range. Tune the radio and listen. You can hear a repeating buzz sound from the radio speakers if the RF signal is sent. When you do this, you need to locate your remote controller right next to the radio antenna since the signal 1/4th frequency is very weak.
Attached Thumbnails Keyless entry issue (1991)-img_rf-signal.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
CELSI0R (07-26-17), creilly (07-26-17)
Old 07-26-17, 07:13 AM
creilly
Driver

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Not many 1st gen owners have their key fobs anymore, because most have been worn out or lost since 1989. This is likely why there is little information about them.

I don't know if this exists on Celsiors, but there is a remote key on/off switch on LS 400 models. This enables or disables the receiver unit for the key fob.

To troubleshoot the key, you can remove the screw that holds the cover together and check the battery (be careful not to lose the button). However, I would not recommend this, because the plastic is known to get brittle with age and is susceptible to cracking.

Personally, I would recommend just using the regular master key to lock and unlock the car instead of the fob and to turn off the receiver. This puts less of a drain on the battery when the car is sitting, too. I have the fob for my car, but I do not use it.

I don't know anything about the related modules inside the car, but I will check the shop manuals and post anything I find.
Yeah, I recognize that panel on the dashboard but the Celsior has a slightly different arrangement, and I'm not sure there's a switch for the key. I'll poke around in the car and the owner's manual to see if I can find something that looks relevant to the key.
Old 07-26-17, 07:15 AM
creilly
Driver

Originally Posted by Yamae
If it's not a battery issue, it wouldn't be easy for average DIYers to troubleshoot fully without special equipments.
To use a spectrum analyser would be the best to monitor the RF signal sent from the remote controller. Attached is an example of it. But there is a way to monitor the signal by your ears using a JDM FM radio. An early Celsior uses the frequency 313.625 MHz ± a few MHz for the remote control and the 1/4th frequency of the radio signal can be caught at the frequency of 78-79MHz range. Tune the radio and listen. You can hear a repeating buzz sound from the radio speakers if the RF signal is sent. When you do this, you need to locate your remote controller right next to the radio antenna since the signal 1/4th frequency is very weak.
I had a feeling it wouldn't be an easy diagnosis based on some of your earlier posts on related topics. I'll definitely give the radio trick a try though, mine hasn't been converted to US radio frequencies thankfully. Thanks for the response, this is really helpful!
Old 07-26-17, 08:01 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

wow Yamae, that stuff is over my head... you are a wealth of information, glad to have you on this forum..
Old 07-26-17, 01:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah, I recognize that panel on the dashboard but the Celsior has a slightly different arrangement, and I'm not sure there's a switch for the key. I'll poke around in the car and the owner's manual to see if I can find something that looks relevant to the key.
They all have the switch, if it is not there someone took it out and there would be a hole there.
Old 07-26-17, 02:28 PM
creilly
Driver

Originally Posted by dicer
They all have the switch, if it is not there someone took it out and there would be a hole there.
As it turns out I just have a poor recollection of the switchgear when I'm not looking at it. The panel in question is arranged differently in a Celsior for the record, I'll attach a photo below. I must have bumped it with my knee at some point when I got into the car.
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (07-26-17)
Old 07-26-17, 04:19 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Nice panel! I'm jealous of some features Celsiors had that were not included on USDM LS 400s, such as the coin tray, motorized folding mirrors, neat/compact dash controls, and rear seat cupholders.

Glad this was an easy fix for you. Better to be a switch that was off than a malfunctioning module.
Old 07-26-17, 04:38 PM
creilly
Driver

Nice panel! I'm jealous of some features Celsiors had that were not included on USDM LS 400s, such as the coin tray, motorized folding mirrors, neat/compact dash controls, and rear seat cupholders.

Glad this was an easy fix for you. Better to be a switch that was off than a malfunctioning module.
Exactly! I wasn't too worried since this wasn't an essential system, and I suppose this sort of thing can happen as I've only had the car a few months.

The US market cars didn't have rear cupholders? Mine has them in the fold-down console thing, I didn't know that was different too. The folding and heated/ultrasonic mirrors are very cool too, I'm interested to see how well those really work come wintertime.
Old 07-26-17, 07:40 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Exactly! I wasn't too worried since this wasn't an essential system, and I suppose this sort of thing can happen as I've only had the car a few months.

The US market cars didn't have rear cupholders? Mine has them in the fold-down console thing, I didn't know that was different too. The folding and heated/ultrasonic mirrors are very cool too, I'm interested to see how well those really work come wintertime.
Yeah, the USDM LS models just have an arm rest in the back, which was either velour or leather. From what I have gathered, lower trim Celsiors had the arm rest (A-spec), slightly higher trim models had cupholders in the arm rest (potentially B-spec and C-spec), and high trim models had the cupholders with the console for the massaging seats, radio controls, rear A/C, etc (C-spec and CF-spec).

I'm pretty certain that USDM LS models have heated mirrors, but it seems they are always active. I definitely notice the mirrors are less wet when driving in the rain than in other cars with standard mirrors.
Old 07-26-17, 10:03 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by billydpowe
wow Yamae, that stuff is over my head... you are a wealth of information, glad to have you on this forum..
Thanks for the complement, Billy.
It is my pleasure to share what I know. Our Celsior and LS400 are not young any more but many of them are still running strong on the road as if they don't get old like you. But sometimes some extra maintenances are needed. In order to keep them running well, I will be posing what I can share.

5 years ago when LScowboy and I were talking about the QAS capacitor issue on the phone, he said something like, "We need to share this to other members and write the way how to fix the ECU".

I have never thought of the fact that more than a half million of people to read that thread. He is not here any more but I still am here. I happen to know the car a bit more than those average mechanics know and it may be a due to me to share what I know.
Old 07-26-17, 11:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Billy so your not into that frequency domain instrument? I bet Yamae has a nice electronics work bench. And I agree he is a huge asset to this website.
Old 07-27-17, 07:20 AM
creilly
Driver

Yeah, the USDM LS models just have an arm rest in the back, which was either velour or leather. From what I have gathered, lower trim Celsiors had the arm rest (A-spec), slightly higher trim models had cupholders in the arm rest (potentially B-spec and C-spec), and high trim models had the cupholders with the console for the massaging seats, radio controls, rear A/C, etc (C-spec and CF-spec).

I'm pretty certain that USDM LS models have heated mirrors, but it seems they are always active. I definitely notice the mirrors are less wet when driving in the rain than in other cars with standard mirrors.
Interesting, all the Celsiors I've ever seen have been Type C cars. I know it's only the F package that had all the extra stuff in the back, mine only has the cupholders on the inside of the armrest.