LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Windshield replaced wiper adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 07:02 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Windshield replaced wiper adjustment & hood shaking.

So I had to get my windshield replaced due to a truck bombarding it with rocks (Thank god the paint did not get damaged). Long story short the guy left a glass mess and the molding at the top does not reach the other end. I probably will be making a post about my experience I had which was a pain but right now I got some questions.

So I believe my passenger wiper is a bit higher than it normally was. I was wondering if some of you can post a picture of your wipers so I can try to adjust might right?

Next is my hood, the back of my hood seems to vibrate when I am at high speeds or starting to speed up. I did not notice it until now. I am wondering if any your guy's hoods vibrate at highway speeds? I will probably post a video soon of it.

Also, the rubber flood things that are at the edge/side of the hood near the windshield, how are those suppose to be positioned? It clearly looks like they placed them in wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by winter4w; 07-23-17 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-23-17, 08:05 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Here is a video off my dash cam of my hood shaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XbwMG6h3XU&feature=youtu.be
Old 07-24-17, 12:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

My hood vibrates also but I figured it's because I don't have the undercover on the bottom and the air from underneath is pushing up in the hood. My hood does have a little bit of play at the latch too.
Old 07-24-17, 03:33 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sha4000
My hood vibrates also but I figured it's because I don't have the undercover on the bottom and the air from underneath is pushing up in the hood. My hood does have a little bit of play at the latch too.
I got the undercover under my hood. I'm just wondering if anyone else's hood wobbles like mine because I did not notice it until I got my windshield replaced.
Old 07-24-17, 09:33 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
I got the undercover under my hood. I'm just wondering if anyone else's hood wobbles like mine because I did not notice it until I got my windshield replaced.
I think he means engine undercover, not the hood insulator.
Old 07-24-17, 10:05 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by valex
I think he means engine undercover, not the hood insulator.
Ahh, that makes more sense, yes I do have that also. Soes anyone knows if there are any gaskets or whatever they are called in the rear of the hood? I was looking online and there are two up front but some post was saying to check the back also.
Old 07-24-17, 10:14 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Here are pictures of whats under my hood, notice anything missing?

Old 07-25-17, 12:11 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

it looks like you're missing the rubber strip that goes across the width of the cowl. I'd say the windshield guy left it off when replacing the windshield probably because he broke it or it deteriorated enough to a point where it wouldn't clip into place anymore. It probably helps seal the hood to the engine bay and takes up the slack so it doesn't flutter. I would post a photo but Photobucket decided to want to charge me $400 to 3rd party host images so I'm unable.

I also had an issue with my passenger side wiper when wanting to upgrade to a beam type. I wanted to get those nice RainX ones but they wouldn't fit and tuck in under the back of the hood. It would always hit. So I reluctantly had to retain the old style blades. I went with some Michelin ones from Walmart. And even those I had to modify slightly to be able to sit flush against the windshield. If I recall, I had to bend some of the frame of the wiper blade to fit the curve of the Lexus wiper arm mount. I've never had that much issues replacing wipers in my life.
Old 07-25-17, 09:41 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
it looks like you're missing the rubber strip that goes across the width of the cowl. I'd say the windshield guy left it off when replacing the windshield probably because he broke it or it deteriorated enough to a point where it wouldn't clip into place anymore. It probably helps seal the hood to the engine bay and takes up the slack so it doesn't flutter. I would post a photo but Photobucket decided to want to charge me $400 to 3rd party host images so I'm unable.

I also had an issue with my passenger side wiper when wanting to upgrade to a beam type. I wanted to get those nice RainX ones but they wouldn't fit and tuck in under the back of the hood. It would always hit. So I reluctantly had to retain the old style blades. I went with some Michelin ones from Walmart. And even those I had to modify slightly to be able to sit flush against the windshield. If I recall, I had to bend some of the frame of the wiper blade to fit the curve of the Lexus wiper arm mount. I've never had that much issues replacing wipers in my life.
Yep, that's whats missing! I decided to look at some old pictures I posted here about my hood and yep you see the rubber strip. This will be the last time I am going to use Safelite since. I don't think mine was deteriorated since I had my windshield replaced last year and the guy did it fine, no glass mess and nothing seemed missing (That was with reliable glass ). So I would say he broke it or did not put it back on. Now my next question is where can I go get another one and how difficult is it to replace?

Old picture of hood (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...irst-post.html)
Old 07-25-17, 01:24 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

I'm guessing I need these parts for the seal?

https://parts.lexusofenglewood.com/o...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

https://parts.lexusofenglewood.com/o...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
Old 07-28-17, 01:27 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by winter4w
yep, those look like it to me. I would speak with safelite and have them reimburse you for all those parts that they clearly left off. Its not professional of them to do that and they should do right on their mistake.
Old 07-28-17, 07:56 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
yep, those look like it to me. I would speak with safelite and have them reimburse you for all those parts that they clearly left off. Its not professional of them to do that and they should do right on their mistake.
Ok awesome and I am guessing those clips are the peaces underneath that are pokeing out? If so I think my clips are still on

I already have talked to satellite they said they will look into it and give me a call. I'm still waiting for the call, if they don't call within a day or two I'm going to call them back.