IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

'17 IS Turbo F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 06:04 PM
extremador
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '17 IS Turbo F Sport

Just recently picked up one of these with some great discounts for a 48-month lease.Traded in my NX 200t for it.

If anyone recalls, I had an IS 250 F Sport before that.

This car definitely feels quicker. But damn there is a lot of turbo lag. Off the line, without revving, it takes about 0.8 seconds to actually start going anywhere, but it does get up there pretty quickly (in Sport mode).

I saw a thread that had a picture showing how restrictive the stock down-pipe is. Is there a pretty good HP gain with an aftermarket? Or better yet, what is the first mod one would do on this car, that is easily reversible?

All help appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-23-17, 07:02 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by extremador
Just recently picked up one of these with some great discounts for a 48-month lease.Traded in my NX 200t for it.

If anyone recalls, I had an IS 250 F Sport before that.

This car definitely feels quicker. But damn there is a lot of turbo lag. Off the line, without revving, it takes about 0.8 seconds to actually start going anywhere, but it does get up there pretty quickly (in Sport mode).

I saw a thread that had a picture showing how restrictive the stock down-pipe is. Is there a pretty good HP gain with an aftermarket? Or better yet, what is the first mod one would do on this car, that is easily reversible?

All help appreciated. Thanks!
In addition to turbo lag there's also a throttle limitation which holds back the power at early RPM range. We have a re-flash tuning solution that helps to improve this issue as well as add some power. Check out my 200t thread in the performance section, there's a lot of information on our platform.
Old 07-23-17, 07:13 PM
extremador
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sheddy
In addition to turbo lag there's also a throttle limitation which holds back the power at early RPM range. We have a re-flash tuning solution that helps to improve this issue as well as add some power. Check out my 200t thread in the performance section, there's a lot of information on our platform.
Ughhhh I *knew* there had to be some limitation as well. Even during the test drive I kept telling my friend, "It's like the whole thing is being governed (not just speed limit)"

How does a ECU re-flash work on a leased vehicle though?

EDIT: I guess the answers are in your thread.

So the 245 HP figure is what, at the crank? It only gets 179 at the wheel?
Old 07-23-17, 08:26 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Ughhhh I *knew* there had to be some limitation as well. Even during the test drive I kept telling my friend, "It's like the whole thing is being governed (not just speed limit)"

How does a ECU re-flash work on a leased vehicle though?

EDIT: I guess the answers are in your thread.

So the 245 HP figure is what, at the crank? It only gets 179 at the wheel?
Yup, a lot of other 200t's have complained about the limitation and lag issue. The reflash can be reversed with the necessary tools when purchased. The HP figures from the manufacturer are at the crank. I was able to make around 220whp (peak) with the stock setup and was able to gain over 30whp with the reflash tune and downpipe. Another option for tuning would be a piggyback system system from Burger tuning or TOM'S. They will both give you a nice increase in power with a simple plug and play system, but the throttle issue would not be affected by them.
Old 07-23-17, 09:50 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

*241 hp

The turbo lag was one of the drawbacks for me, that's why I decided to fork over the 3k for the 350.

Maybe throwing in a full exhaust and intake would make it feel more power at the low end.
Old 07-24-17, 06:00 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nathantse
*241 hp

The turbo lag was one of the drawbacks for me, that's why I decided to fork over the 3k for the 350.

Maybe throwing in a full exhaust and intake would make it feel more power at the low end.
A down pipe would definitely help increase the low range response, but i would recommend getting a tune as well to get the full benefit of it. I've even read about BMW's turbo 4 cylinder having lag problems, its just the downside of these ENGINES.

Last edited by Sheddy; 07-24-17 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 06:04 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

A down pipe would definitely help increase the low range response, but i would recommend getting a tune as well to get the full benefit of it. I've even read about BMW's turbo 4 cylinder having lag problems, its just the downside of these platforms.
downside of the platform or of the engine?
Old 07-24-17, 06:40 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davyjordi
downside of the platform or of the engine?
Turbo 4 Cylinder engines.
Old 07-24-17, 06:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

yeah, I thought you had made an error.
Old 07-24-17, 07:13 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davyjordi
yeah, I thought you had made an error.
My fault, thanks.
Old 07-24-17, 08:23 AM
extremador
Driver School Candidate

Ehh... Not so sure about that. I test drove a 2017 WRX before this, well, my girlfriend did, and it had plenty of go. But it also is AWD and 6-speed manual.

Dammit Lexus, why can't you do at least one 6-speed manual model a year?!

What's weird is that the NX did not have this issue. I would burn tires out sometimes if I accelerated too quickly.
Old 07-24-17, 09:25 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Ehh... Not so sure about that. I test drove a 2017 WRX before this, well, my girlfriend did, and it had plenty of go. But it also is AWD and 6-speed manual.

What's weird is that the NX did not have this issue. I would burn tires out sometimes if I accelerated too quickly.
Could be that the IS has more drive train loss being RWD. WRX's and EVO's have turbo lag, but like you said manual transmission, so you can launch it.
Old 07-24-17, 09:33 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I've driven the 328i. It feels a ton more powerful than our cars off the line. it scoots off the line from the moment you floor it and tires are squealing instantaneously throughout first gear. No lag to speak of, really.
Old 07-24-17, 09:34 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Maybe being front drive helps with that. The weight transfers off the drive wheels and its easier to spin them up
Old 07-24-17, 09:35 AM
extremador
Driver School Candidate

They do have turbo lag but when you step on the gas, it goes!

My brother was checking out the motor a few minutes ago. Apparently they left some room for a bigger diverter valve and/or blow-off valve.

Has anyone modified the stock exhaust tips? It looks kind of stupid with the inside pipe sticking out a little bit inside the tips they use.

Quick Reply: '17 IS Turbo F Sport