RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 rx450h noise at 40mph and 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 04:48 PM
spiros
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 rx450h noise at 40mph and 60mph

hey I recently started hearing a straining front end sound when I reach 40mph then it disappears from 42 to 59 mph and starts again at 60 to 65 then disappears when I hit 70 slowing down it starts again at 65 to 60 then disappears and starts again at 40mph this one is puzzling to me when I rev the sound does not get louder so I don't think its the motor I tried using sport mode and downshifting and upshifting the noise is steady at those speeds any help is a miracle.
thanks
Old 07-23-17, 08:07 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

Could you elaborate on "straining". Any vibration involved?

You didn't mention if any careful inspection of tires was done. That would be the #1 place to start.
Old 07-23-17, 08:49 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,100 Likes on 990 Posts

You can possibly eliminate tires by swapping front to back

Salim
Old 07-24-17, 05:20 AM
spiros
Driver

the straining noise is like you need change gears as soon as it hits the right speed its gone but its not from the tranny im thinking the front differential the tires are a bit worn but the noise comes on exactly at the speeds I specified
Old 07-24-17, 06:24 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Speed based vibrations which change and come back are typically due to rational imbalance ... easy ones are wheels {tires/rims/lost_weights} and more difficult and improbable are the rotating shafts.

So start with the easiest.

Straining noise ... I can't comment on that.

Salim
Old 07-24-17, 07:59 AM
spiros
Driver

ok lets see im taking to my mechanic today
Old 07-24-17, 12:32 PM
spiros
Driver

mechanic says right side front bearing,lexus will cover under warantee
Old 07-24-17, 02:26 PM
spiros
Driver

to your knowledge do worn tires have an affect on bearings
Old 07-24-17, 04:26 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My last vehicle was a 2003 Maxima. One of its few weaknesses was the wheel bearings. In my experience worn tires are not the cause of wheel bearings going bad, it is usually the other way around... bad wheel bearings will cause uneven tire wear.

It has also been my experience that when one front bearing goes the opposing wheel bearing will usually fail not too long after (experience from my Maxima).

With my Maxima the original factory front passenger side bearing lasted ~80K mi. Took it to an indi mechanic and the replacement lasted less than 100mi (kid in the shop did not torque the bearing properly) and the owner of the shop replaced the bearing. The front driver side bearing failed about 8k miles later. I had that one replaced at the same mechanic. The front passenger bearing then failed again after about 20K. Again it was replaced by the shop... no charge. When the same bearing failed a 4th time about 40k later I ordered expensive Timkin bearings for all 4 corners (as I was directed to by the Maxima board) and the shop only charged for labor on the rear bearings. The expensive Timkin bearings have 50k+ miles on them and are still on the car.

Real vehicles (trucks, cars built before the 80's etc.) use roller bearings. Modern cars seem to use ball bearings (I blame the accountants). Roller bearings are not shaped like a sphere but are shaped more like a cylinder or slightly cone shaped. The contact area on a roller bearing is many times the contact area of a ball bearing spreading the load over a much greater surface area on the bearing races. The roller bearings on my '67 F100 are original and I have never repacked them (flushed out the old grease and replaced it with new bearing grease). My 76 Scout which has a steering issue that causes it to seek out bottomless mud pits has had its wheel bearings repacked several times and is also still on its factory roller bearings. Torquing the bearings on my Scout is a matter of feel, no wobble in the tire but no binding of the wheel either... something my father taught me.

I am not saying that Lexus wheel bearings are prone to failure like Maxima bearings are... but I would keep an eye on the opposing wheel bearing and get it serviced if you experience the sounds the current bad bearing gave you. On my Maxima I came to the conclusion wheel bearings should be replaced in pairs with high quality bearings. Your Lexus dealer will use a quality OEM bearing... the chances of them replacing the opposing bearing under warranty because one bearing went bad is pretty much nil!

My best guess is your car probably came from the factory with the bearing torqued slightly out of spec.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 07-24-17 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 05:34 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

I concur with most of MikeInOr post.

Replace the bearings in pair and do not skimp on price. Get the best or atleast as good as OEM. [close to $100 each for my SC]

The roller bearings are very dependent on torque and maintenance. The ball (edit) bearings [sealed and lubed for life] are on the other hand forgiving on torque but are very susceptible to dirt. A small manufacturing defect in the seal will greatly shorten the life.

Good mechanic will make sure that the drive shaft seats well in the bearing If the current one had worked itself loose and has worn down a little bit, it will ruin the new bearing. [You can not even put the weight of the vehicle on the bearing without the shaft in the middle].

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 07-25-17 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 07:34 PM
spiros
Driver

very good info thanks,,, lets hope lexus does not give any excuses to not cover me,, I have not done any service to the front end like differential fluids etc. just tires ,, I bought the car certified from lexus with 27000 miles I now have 85000 and I have a platinum extended warrantee till 100k
Old 08-02-17, 07:43 AM
spiros
Driver

fixed right front bearing
Old 08-03-17, 02:09 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spiros
fixed right front bearing
Under warranty? No charge? Did they give you any idea what might have caused the failure?
Old 08-03-17, 03:14 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spiros
mechanic says right side front bearing,lexus will cover under warantee
they covered the bearing on an 7-8 year old car under warranty, 😳
Old 08-04-17, 06:52 PM
spiros
Driver

Originally Posted by Airbalance