CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Thinking of getting a used CT200H, questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 10:09 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a used CT200H, questions..

Hello all,

Im in the market for a new daily driver and I am thinking of getting a used CT200H.. I have a budget of 17k OTD.. I was hoping you guys could tell me what I should look out for.. any trouble years? is there any high maintenance issues.. for example on my GS300 its well known the lower ball joints fail, the TPS sensor goes bad, etc etc.. anything like that I should know? Thanks!

should I avoid high mileage?
Old 07-23-17, 09:37 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
Hello all,

Im in the market for a new daily driver and I am thinking of getting a used CT200H.. I have a budget of 17k OTD.. I was hoping you guys could tell me what I should look out for.. any trouble years? is there any high maintenance issues.. for example on my GS300 its well known the lower ball joints fail, the TPS sensor goes bad, etc etc.. anything like that I should know? Thanks!

should I avoid high mileage?
I bought a CPO 2 years ago with ~46,000 KM and I returned it with 115,000 KM.

In that time frame, I had to change the front disc and pads. I put aftermarket ones, which cost $400 CDN parts and labor included, mind you that job was done at ~90,000KM.

Aside from that, I had zero issues with the car. I have to point out though, that a BRAND NEW one will get better mileage than a used one, since the batteries are brand new. Something to keep in mind. Also, since it is a hybrid, make sure you get the warranty on the powertrain.

I hope that helps!
Old 07-23-17, 10:20 PM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine when it had 100'000 km and now it has 185'000 km.

My car is from 2011, so you can say it's pretty old for a CT and I still get ~45mpg (5l/100km) so there's really not noticeable difference in that aspect.

My front discs and pads where actually never changed and my local Toyota mechanic tells me I'm gonna have to change them at 187'000 km !

Just do regular maintenance and this car will be good to go for a looong loong time
Old 07-24-17, 05:55 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Aside from that, I had zero issues with the car. I have to point out though, that a BRAND NEW one will get better mileage than a used one, since the batteries are brand new. Something to keep in mind. Also, since it is a hybrid, make sure you get the warranty on the powertrain.

I hope that helps!
where do you get your information from? How would you know for a fact that a new car would get better mileage than a used one????

Why would I need a warranty on the power train??

I'm at 15 months of ownership and 45,000 miles.
My mpg was per on board computer was 36.1 when I got it on day one. I track each and every tank of fuel since then and my mpg had gotten higher and higher I just finished a 48 mpg average tank of fuel yesterday. Never touched the battery booth the starting battery or the inverter battery.

My warranty has long expired, probably 3 months into ownership. I plan to put many more miles on this little car in the next few years with zero issues. There are tons of NYC taxi cabs that rack up tons of miles.

​​​
Old 07-24-17, 10:27 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by gshadow325
where do you get your information from? How would you know for a fact that a new car would get better mileage than a used one????

Why would I need a warranty on the power train??

I'm at 15 months of ownership and 45,000 miles.
My mpg was per on board computer was 36.1 when I got it on day one. I track each and every tank of fuel since then and my mpg had gotten higher and higher I just finished a 48 mpg average tank of fuel yesterday. Never touched the battery booth the starting battery or the inverter battery.

My warranty has long expired, probably 3 months into ownership. I plan to put many more miles on this little car in the next few years with zero issues. There are tons of NYC taxi cabs that rack up tons of miles.

​​​
My sister had a brand new 2015 model, I had the 2012 model. We had both cars at the same time. Good enough source for you?
We swapped cars all the time and noticed mine was getting worse mileage.

Any ways, I made sure my car had the warranty in case something ever craps out on the hybrid system, I was covered. If the OP doesn't want that, then so be it.

Here's what's covered:
Hybrid-related components
Applies to the battery control module, hybrid vehicle control module, Hybrid High Voltage battery and the inverter/converter.
Old 07-24-17, 12:36 PM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes that is good enough for me. Without some factual data and it experience it's all hear say. Life is full is stuff, don't need anymore opinions without some sort of factual info.

I do think 14+ cars have better fuel economy for some reason that I don't know. In my instance, I bought new ultra light wheels that weight 6# less than factory and my mileage jumped up average 6 mpg! I couldn't break 42 MPG until this. After this I hit highs of 54mpg.

Mine is a 13. Thanks for posting where your info is from!!
Old 07-24-17, 01:12 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by gshadow325
Yes that is good enough for me. Without some factual data and it experience it's all hear say. Life is full is stuff, don't need anymore opinions without some sort of factual info.

I do think 14+ cars have better fuel economy for some reason that I don't know. In my instance, I bought new ultra light wheels that weight 6# less than factory and my mileage jumped up average 6 mpg! I couldn't break 42 MPG until this. After this I hit highs of 54mpg.

Mine is a 13. Thanks for posting where your info is from!!

No problem!

It goes without saying though, a brand new battery won't perform the same as a used one. So with that said, the mileage has to be affected.
We just happened to prove it the hard way... had I known that beforehand, I would have bought a new one.
Old 07-25-17, 01:58 AM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sister had a brand new 2015 model, I had the 2012 model. We had both cars at the same time. Good enough source for you?
We swapped cars all the time and noticed mine was getting worse mileage.
Same rims? Same tires? Same equipment?
You do realize there's a lot of other factors influencing MPG?

While an older battery will certainly not be as efficient as a new one, the difference is negligible when compared to other factors (like wheel size, rims weight, tires, outside temperature, driving style, etc...)

Here's a factual test that compares stats from a 2001 Prius when it was brand new and a 2002 Prius 10 years later. You can see the difference is negligible. And I wouldn't be surprised if the CT200h was even better as it uses the more recent Prius 3 powertrain.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/t...s-reliability/

Old 07-25-17, 10:32 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mutorcs
Same rims? Same tires? Same equipment?
You do realize there's a lot of other factors influencing MPG?

While an older battery will certainly not be as efficient as a new one, the difference is negligible when compared to other factors (like wheel size, rims weight, tires, outside temperature, driving style, etc...)

Here's a factual test that compares stats from a 2001 Prius when it was brand new and a 2002 Prius 10 years later. You can see the difference is negligible. And I wouldn't be surprised if the CT200h was even better as it uses the more recent Prius 3 powertrain.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/t...s-reliability/

You can show me all the articles you want, we've had both cars. If nobody believes what I wrote, then great. I won't spend time convincing someone, when the reality is there. An old battery will never be as good as a new one. Therefore right off the bat, the mileage is affected. To the OP, best of luck with your purchase!
Old 07-25-17, 10:03 PM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can show me all the articles you want, we've had both cars. If nobody believes what I wrote, then great. I won't spend time convincing someone, when the reality is there. An old battery will never be as good as a new one. Therefore right off the bat, the mileage is affected. To the OP, best of luck with your purchase!
I can see your reasoning that a new battery is better, but batteries have voltage regulators that determine the max amount that can be used at any point in time. Unless the battery starts to fall below that max, there shouldn't be any difference in either mileage or performance. If it does, then the dealer should be able to run a max voltage test. The warranty on Toyota/Lexus hybrid battery is outstanding.

As far as experience... I purchased a Prius in 2002 and drove it for 13 years and had no noticeable difference in mileage. Same car, same driving style, same roads. So each person can have a different experience. Just stating mine. The only major changes in mileage came when I would purchase a different set of tires. Tire choice alone can add or subtract 4-5mpg to a small hybrid. My positive experience with the Prius was a major factor in buying a CT.