GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS to ES? Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 04:43 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GS to ES? Update

I took my GS F for maintenance and test drove the LC and GS F with the new dampers. I discussed the future of the GS with a few individuals at the Lexus dealer, one individual discussed the GS future with the regional director.

The consensus was that the ES and GS are consolidating next year. The primary reason is that the "ES" will have an all-wheel drive option and Lexus isn't clear on what will happen to GS sales. It is also unclear what the name of the future vehicle will be, either "ES" or "GS". Lexus is open to either name. This explains the confusion about what test vehicle was being tested on the Nurburgring last month - http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...d-testing.html

Either way, Lexus is planning to not build the next GS on a dedicated rear-drive platform but build off the new Camry platform, hence rumors of being killed.

This new Lexus model based off of the Camry platform will drop late next year as a 2019.

Last edited by aginnt; 07-22-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 04:47 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

That's not good news but makes business sense. Even I can't tell the difference between the Lexus lines anymore
Old 07-22-17, 06:15 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I hope not. Without a GS model I probably won't buy another Lexus
The following 2 users liked this post by GsLex02:
corpnupe85 (09-21-17), jtrue28 (07-22-17)
Old 07-23-17, 05:55 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by aginnt
Either way, Lexus is planning to not build the next GS on a dedicated rear-drive platform but build off the new Camry platform, hence rumors of being killed.
This new Lexus model based off of the Camry platform will drop late next year as a 2019.
Don't listen to what they say at the dealer, majority of them have no clue. Front wheel drive GS will never happen, especially based of Camry.
There are many reasons why that's true. Both RC and IS Lexus models depend on the GS, they all share the GS platform. Making the next GS a front wheel drive car would impact other models.
Another reason is cost. Let's assume for a minute that Lexus did use Camry as a donor. What do you think will happen to GS prices? They'll drop to ES territory, because no one is going to pay $60,000 for a souped up Camry. Lastly, production of the next GS was already confirmed by one of our members here, he even posted the production code for the next GS.

They did get one thing right, the redesigned ES is coming next year as 2019 model and GS is usually released a year after, which means in 2019 we will see the all new 2020 Lexus GS.
Old 07-23-17, 06:14 AM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Don't listen to what they say at the dealer, majority of them have no clue. Front wheel drive GS will never happen, especially based of Camry.
There are many reasons why that's true. Both RC and IS Lexus models depend on the GS, they all share the GS platform. Making the next GS a front wheel drive car would impact other models.
Another reason is cost. Let's assume for a minute that Lexus did use Camry as a donor. What do you think will happen to GS prices? They'll drop to ES territory, because no one is going to pay $60,000 for a souped up Camry. Lastly, production of the next GS was already confirmed by one of our members here, he even posted the production code for the next GS.

They did get one thing right, the redesigned ES is coming next year as 2019 model and GS is usually released a year after, which means in 2019 we will see the all new 2020 Lexus GS.
I really hope so. I love the GS. Am actually considering getting a GSF in the next model design. I'd be sad to see the GS model go
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (09-21-17)
Old 07-23-17, 08:28 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Didn't they JUST redesign the ES? What in the world are they doing to it now??
Old 07-23-17, 08:42 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Didn't they JUST redesign the ES? What in the world are they doing to it now??
Lexus refreshed the 6ES. The all new 7ES should debut in 2019 where I’d assume it will be influenced by the style and tech of the 5LS.
Old 07-23-17, 08:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

It's hard to say what to believe with reference to the GS. Many car makers currently have a number of vehicles under review with rumors of elimination.

General Motors has put six of its cars under review and is evaluating whether to cancel them in the coming years, according to a report from Reuters. The news comes as sales of cars continue to plummet in the U.S. and as consumers increasingly turn to SUVs and pickups. The company is considering plans to eliminate the Chevrolet Volt hybrid, the Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala and Chevrolet Sonic, according to Reuters. The other car makers are evaluating their line of vehicles with rumors too...
Old 07-23-17, 09:51 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I think its a HUGE mistake for Lexus to get rid of the GS. They are soooo close to the bmw 5-series in terms of performance. The 5th gen GS had a real possibility of taking the reigns. All that work for nothing, if this is true.
Old 07-23-17, 10:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

More information can be found in the other 6 threads on this topic...
Old 07-23-17, 11:56 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Unfortunately, everything is about $$$. If they're not selling the GS, read "not making money", then common business sense is to stop making it. It sucks, but what do we expect...
Old 07-23-17, 12:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As discussed in multiple other threads, the GS has soldiered on for years with far fewer sales than it has now. It's typical of the GS lifecycle to be low at this point, but this gen is fairing better than some past GS gens.
Old 07-23-17, 01:09 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
As discussed in multiple other threads, the GS has soldiered on for years with far fewer sales than it has now. It's typical of the GS lifecycle to be low at this point, but this gen is fairing better than some past GS gens.
After 4 years on the market at 87,217 units, the current generation 4GS hasn't sold quite as well as its predecesdor the 3GS which managed 99,987 units despite the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, however I highly doubt the GS will be cancelled because it is merely a sporty cosmetic & suspension derivative of the Japanese Domestic Market Toyota Crown which will be released soon, so the development costs of the 5GS won't be great, but you never know what will happen.
Old 07-23-17, 02:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
After 4 years on the market at 87,217 units, the current generation 4GS hasn't sold quite as well as its predecesdor the 3GS which managed 99,987 units despite the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, however I highly doubt the GS will be cancelled because it is merely a sporty cosmetic & suspension derivative of the Japanese Domestic Market Toyota Crown which will be released soon, so the development costs of the 5GS won't be great, but you never know what will happen.
If that's the case, I could see Lexus killing it off and just selling a larger IS instead. Hoping it's not the case but wounding be surprised.
Old 07-23-17, 02:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
If that's the case, I could see Lexus killing it off and just selling a larger IS instead. Hoping it's not the case but wounding be surprised.
If they replace midsize rear drive 5GS with next generation front drive Camry-based AWD 7ES, then does that mean that they'd also replace the next generation compact rear drive 4IS with a front drive Corolla-based AWD, and the next generation full size rear drive 6LS replaced by a front drive Avalon-based AWD full size sedan?

Also, why was this forthcoming 2018 Toyota Crown-based 5GS with 4GS 18" luxury alloy wheels caught testing at the Nurburgring only recently?

Quick Reply: GS to ES? Update