RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Air Conditioning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 02:07 PM
SuzyQIndy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Air Conditioning Problem

I have an 2010 RX 350 (with GPS). I had it detailed a couple of days ago and have had trouble problems with the AC ever since. Prior to the cleaning, how ever I left the AC when the vehicle was turned off (blower speed, temp, etc.) it was the same when I turned it back on. Now when I start the vehicle, I get nothing. The AUTO light is on, but the fan doesn't blow and all buttons are unresponsive for about a minute. After a minute, a message pops up on the GPS screen that says something like "Blower is off" and then the buttons are responsive again and I can turn it on. A minute may not sound long, but with the heatwave we are having believe me it is a long time. I have tried changing different settings before turning off the vehicle but it is the same every time. The only exception is if I start the vehicle back up within a couple minutes the AC is working as normal. Don't get me wrong, the AC works, but something changed and it is annoying. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money to take it in because it seems like a setting has just been changed. They said they didn't intentionally change anything but I think in cleaning the buttons may have inadvertently done so. I am hoping that someone here can help me figure out the problem. Thank you!
Old 07-23-17, 04:45 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I think the detail folks went a bit overboard cleaning the climate control buttons and got electronic control stuff wet. I think it may dry out in a week and return to normal. Try using a powerful hair dryer on the control buttons to maybe speed up the drying process.
Old 07-23-17, 08:24 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

When the system becomes active, does EVERY button start working. Sounds to me like a button is stuck blocking other functions from working. If I recall, the blower off message appears if you hold the fan "down" button continuously to shut the fan off from whatever position it is currently at. That would be the first I would check operation of.
Old 07-24-17, 03:47 AM
SuzyQIndy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I think the detail folks went a bit overboard cleaning the climate control buttons and got electronic control stuff wet. I think it may dry out in a week and return to normal. Try using a powerful hair dryer on the control buttons to maybe speed up the drying process.
Yes that was my first thought too. I took it back in and they used an air house on the buttons. I also found some other threads after posting this that have to do with the cabin air filter. I changed it and it was dirty but still no change.
Old 07-24-17, 03:52 AM
SuzyQIndy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
When the system becomes active, does EVERY button start working. Sounds to me like a button is stuck blocking other functions from working. If I recall, the blower off message appears if you hold the fan "down" button continuously to shut the fan off from whatever position it is currently at. That would be the first I would check operation of.
Yes, every button on the system is disabled and once that message appears then everything works again. It is like they whole system is disabled. And it takes the same amount of time everytin for it to come back on. I have tried pushing all the buttons but nothing appears stuck.
Old 07-24-17, 10:45 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Just a thought .. software gremlins at times require a complete shut down or factory settings reset.

In first gen you could disconnect the 12v battery for about 1/2 hr [all user settings were lost except the home link]

Salim
Old 07-25-17, 06:24 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

You could try spraying the buttons with electronic control **** cleaner (yes there is such a product). It may loosen up a stuck button. It may also make the control panel a bit messy.
I also think you should try a reboot by unhooking the battery.
Old 08-17-17, 02:05 PM
SuzyQIndy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SuzyQIndy
I have an 2010 RX 350 (with GPS). I had it detailed a couple of days ago and have had trouble problems with the AC ever since. Prior to the cleaning, how ever I left the AC when the vehicle was turned off (blower speed, temp, etc.) it was the same when I turned it back on. Now when I start the vehicle, I get nothing. The AUTO light is on, but the fan doesn't blow and all buttons are unresponsive for about a minute. After a minute, a message pops up on the GPS screen that says something like "Blower is off" and then the buttons are responsive again and I can turn it on. A minute may not sound long, but with the heatwave we are having believe me it is a long time. I have tried changing different settings before turning off the vehicle but it is the same every time. The only exception is if I start the vehicle back up within a couple minutes the AC is working as normal. Don't get me wrong, the AC works, but something changed and it is annoying. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money to take it in because it seems like a setting has just been changed. They said they didn't intentionally change anything but I think in cleaning the buttons may have inadvertently done so. I am hoping that someone here can help me figure out the problem. Thank you!
UPDATE: After trying everything I could I broke down and took the vehicle in to Lexus. My worst fear - it was the Air Outlet Servo and coat $1983.00! They couldn't say it was caused by the detailing but I am still sure that it was. Too coincidental to drop off the car and 4 hours later after they cleaned under the hood it is damaged. Note to self - don't let anyone ever clean under the hood!
Old 08-17-17, 03:37 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

The part at max should be around $200.

I have not tinkered with 3rd gen RX, but $1983 seems high. Did they break down the cost into parts and labor?

Salim
Old 08-21-17, 08:03 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Is that the same as the blend door servo? It sounded like everything works after a minute of waiting, so I'm not following how it could be that servo. If the servo failed, I would not expect t to work even after that magic 1 minute.
Old 08-22-17, 11:54 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
Is that the same as the blend door servo? It sounded like everything works after a minute of waiting, so I'm not following how it could be that servo. If the servo failed, I would not expect t to work even after that magic 1 minute.
Hard to argue with this logic! I believe I would ask them to explain.
Old 05-11-22, 05:34 AM
SlickJonz
4th Gear

UPDATE: After trying everything I could I broke down and took the vehicle in to Lexus. My worst fear - it was the Air Outlet Servo and coat $1983.00! They couldn't say it was caused by the detailing but I am still sure that it was. Too coincidental to drop off the car and 4 hours later after they cleaned under the hood it is damaged. Note to self - don't let anyone ever clean under the hood!
did you ever find out what caused this? I’m having the same issue. About to check the freon. Blend doors sound like they’re opening and closing. I’m stumped.
Old 05-30-22, 08:45 AM
Vini
2nd gear

Default Air Conditioning Problem

Originally Posted by SlickJonz
did you ever find out what caused this? I’m having the same issue. About to check the freon. Blend doors sound like they’re opening and closing. I’m stumped.
Hello, please I'm having this same problem and I've been advised to purchase a new sterio (radio/audio amplifier).. Is that the best option or is there something else I can do to fix the problem?. I'm hoping for something cheap. Any advise pls?

Last edited by Vini; 05-30-22 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 08:55 AM
Vini
2nd gear

I own the same type of car. 2010 Lexus RX 350 with GPS. And it's having the same exact problem as you explained.. Please who knows a solution to this situation. I've tried everything possible but nothing is working. The one Minute delay is still happening. I've been advised to change the Sterio (the V shaped Radio Amplifier). I'm not sure of the best thing to do yet.
Old 05-30-22, 09:42 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The part at max should be around $200.

I have not tinkered with 3rd gen RX, but $1983 seems high. Did they break down the cost into parts and labor?

Salim
I'm sure that they used their scanner. A scanner that cost several thousand to purchase along with the training that their employee must undergo to keep up with technology. Toyota (Lexus) uses Techstream which independent shops can purchase with a subscription. These are the hidden costs that many owners don't realize.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Problem