IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Occupancy sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 04:07 AM
alimit17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occupancy sensor issue

Hello! I have a 2008 is 250. My airbag light has been on and there is a code b1797 for passanger occupancy sensor. The garage is telling me i need to buy a whole new seat ( for $3000 ) and i canr just buy the sensor and have it replaced. Has anyone been able to replace just the sensor? It seems quite crazy that I would need to replace an entire seat for one sensor.
Old 07-22-17, 07:34 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I had this issue last Christmas. SRS Airbag light on and Passenger airbag light problems... turns out the sensor in the seat cushion was faulty. You don't have to replace the seat, just the seat cushion ($1700 CAD) and labor (~$400 CAD) at the dealership. Not sure if you need a dealer to do the swap but it was the most convenient option for me at the time.
Old 07-22-17, 01:53 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know the prices.. My sensor sometimes sticks for a few seconds/minutes after someone gets out, if I let them out and drive away. Glad it has not failed/stuck yet.
Old 07-22-17, 01:56 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by Arrta
Good to know the prices.. My sensor sometimes sticks for a few seconds/minutes after someone gets out, if I let them out and drive away. Glad it has not failed/stuck yet.
I think that's pretty normal behaviour as my fixed seat does the same.
Old 07-23-17, 11:35 AM
MTis250
Driver School Candidate

Find a competent indy who can throw in a resistor and save yourself a couple grand OP.
Old 10-01-19, 09:55 AM
Mars81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alimit17
Hello! I have a 2008 is 250. My airbag light has been on and there is a code b1797 for passanger occupancy sensor. The garage is telling me i need to buy a whole new seat ( for $3000 ) and i canr just buy the sensor and have it replaced. Has anyone been able to replace just the sensor? It seems quite crazy that I would need to replace an entire seat for one sensor.
What did you end up doing? I have the exact same problem on a '08 is 250. Lexus says the front passenger weight occupancy sensor is bad and they want $2300 to fix it. That's probably 50% of the current value of my car! which runs perfectly fine otherwise. This sounds like its the pad that is in the cushion and not the sensor.

I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone has figured this out. I am trying to figure out what exactly needs to be changed and if i can get it done at an upholstery shop or anywhere else but the dealership.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-19, 11:22 AM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by Mars81
What did you end up doing? I have the exact same problem on a '08 is 250. Lexus says the front passenger weight occupancy sensor is bad and they want $2300 to fix it. That's probably 50% of the current value of my car! which runs perfectly fine otherwise. This sounds like its the pad that is in the cushion and not the sensor.

I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone has figured this out. I am trying to figure out what exactly needs to be changed and if i can get it done at an upholstery shop or anywhere else but the dealership.

Thank you!
I fixed it through the dealer for 2300 and it was new cushion plus labor. Maybe you get grab a new seat from the scrap yard and just swap it in?
Old 10-02-19, 09:27 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars81

Thank you!
Originally Posted by Aspect
Maybe you get grab a new seat from the scrap yard and just swap it in?
No one ever posted saying they went that route with success. But I don't think our cars were embedded with tech that would know one seat and sensors from another. So in my book, I'd definitely try sourcing a good, used seat first. I see wrecked 2IS model parts cars all of the time in my local Facebook marketplace. If the person is nice enough, they might even let you swap in the good, used seat and connect it up and see what the result is.

Report back on what you end up doing.