GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cleaning smelly AC...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 04:03 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
Talking Cleaning smelly AC...

So my GS has the moldy/mildew smell since 4K miles during the first Summer months.

Dealer said not covered under warranty. Try new filter for $110. :/
i tried the Lysol, water/alcohol mix, and new carbon ac filter... All didn't work... in fact, the water/alcohol made it worse.

I purchased Kool-it from Amazon for $12 shipped. I don't have a lift so I just fed the long tube through the fin of the In cabin filter blower... not sure what it's called. The can runs out in 2 mins, and then you wait for 20 minutes.

I'm typing this as the product is cleaning.. I can see liquid coming out the drain hole on the bottom of the car... the I dabbed it with a paper towel and its brown... I'll post back the result.

My smell was pretty bad... Probably the worse than any other car.. I actually started to get worried about my health.
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning smelly AC...-file_001.jpeg   Cleaning smelly AC...-file_002.jpeg   Cleaning smelly AC...-file_000.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
ferliz (02-26-20)
Old 07-21-17, 04:25 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts

Cool, want updates I'm having a issue also. did the Lysol this and came out smelling vinegar grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr smh...
Old 07-22-17, 05:52 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

had the exact same issue and used kool it from amazon as well. i used two cans of it until the "drainage" was no longer brown. it really resolved the issue. will continue to use two cans every year or when the ac smell comes back.
Old 07-22-17, 11:53 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Damnit... didn't work... smell is back the very next day
I think I'll go buy a cheaper one from HD. I felt kool it didn't have enough product inside...

if it fails... Toyota dealer is next
Old 07-22-17, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
So my GS has the moldy/mildew smell since 4K miles during the first Summer months.

Dealer said not covered under warranty. Try new filter for $110. :/
i tried the Lysol, water/alcohol mix, and new carbon ac filter... All didn't work... in fact, the water/alcohol made it worse.

I purchased Kool-it from Amazon for $12 shipped. I don't have a lift so I just fed the long tube through the fin of the In cabin filter blower... not sure what it's called. The can runs out in 2 mins, and then you wait for 20 minutes.

I'm typing this as the product is cleaning.. I can see liquid coming out the drain hole on the bottom of the car... the I dabbed it with a paper towel and its brown... I'll post back the result.

My smell was pretty bad... Probably the worse than any other car.. I actually started to get worried about my health.
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Damnit... didn't work... smell is back the very next day
I think I'll go buy a cheaper one from HD. I felt kool it didn't have enough product inside...

if it fails... Toyota dealer is next
The mold and mildew that you are smelling is primarily on the evaporator coil. Are you disinfecting the evaporator by spraying the disinfectant through the fresh air intake openings at the base of the windshield cowl area? If not, that is a mistake. 85% of your disinfecting attention should be the evaporator, which is not really accessible from inside the vehicle...

Also, make sure the cabin air filter is clean and free-flowing. If you park outside it is common for insects and rodents to build nests in the vehicle's air intake passages for both engine and A/C system.

If you are one of these people that prefer to manually control the A/C compressor operation, or to always leave the system in 're-circulation' mode, you really should change your habit. You should always leave the A/C in the 'AUTO' mode and allow the car's highly advanced system to control the compressor operation as well as the re-circulation feature.
The following users liked this post:
TdotIS300F (09-17-20)
Old 07-22-17, 01:51 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

I did try the outside air intake methods satiated in OP. It failed so I went to the next harder step. I'm the guy that does re-circ air 90% of the time. I would change my "habit" but need to get to "square one" first.

Car is parked in a parking garage all day except at nights. AC filter has been replaced w charcoal one.

Never had a Lexus or any other car do this... except one, it was a Honda which Lysol worked on.

I think I have truffles in my evaporator at this point... it's pretty bad...
Old 07-22-17, 03:38 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

as mentioned above, i used 2 cans of the kool it. sprayed the foam through the underside of the car through the drainage tube. cleared it right up.
Old 07-24-17, 10:14 AM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

My auto setting turns everything to max full blast..for a long time to a point I can't handle anymore. Is this even normal?
Old 07-24-17, 10:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maveriCK..
My auto setting turns everything to max full blast..for a long time to a point I can't handle anymore. Is this even normal?
Yes, during warm weather conditions if the cabin is hot when you start the car the A/C will run at maximum fan speed until it can cool the cabin down and then the fan speed will automatically drop. Why wouldn't you want it to operate that way?
Old 07-24-17, 11:20 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by maveriCK..
Mine does this too. I do have to turn it down after a while even here in Phx, AZ.
Old 07-24-17, 06:48 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Set the temperature to a higher setting. If my wife uses my car, she either does everything manually or sets the temp to 68 degrees. It runs at a high fan speed forever.

I usually have it set to 74. When I start the car the fan comes on very high (after the initial fan delay), but gradually slows down as the car cools off.

Another thing to check is the dual climate settings. Even if my/Driver side is set to 74 I will sometimes notice that the fan hasn't slowed down even after the car's interior becomes noticeably cooler. Sure enough, I'll look at the passenger setting and it will be set to 68. I don't always notice it because I use a mobile phone mount in the CD slot. So my phone will block the passenger temp setting.
Old 07-25-17, 09:47 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to wonder if part of the "smell" problem isn't the result of the a/c probably being on 100% of the time (and moisture never draining out). Since this car has no convenient switch (like most other cars) to easily turn off the a/c compressor while still allowing fresh outside air thru the vents, most people probably leave ac on all the time if they want some air flow into the car. If you want fresh outside un-air conditioned air coming thru the vents, you have to go thru one or two menu's (depending on year of the GS) to merely switch the ac compressor out of the loop. Some people may not even know about this, so they merely leave the ac on all the time. . .
Old 07-25-17, 10:15 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gflexus
I have to wonder if part of the "smell" problem isn't the result of the a/c probably being on 100% of the time (and moisture never draining out). Since this car has no convenient switch (like most other cars) to easily turn off the a/c compressor while still allowing fresh outside air thru the vents, most people probably leave ac on all the time if they want some air flow into the car. If you want fresh outside un-air conditioned air coming thru the vents, you have to go thru one or two menu's (depending on year of the GS) to merely switch the ac compressor out of the loop. Some people may not even know about this, so they merely leave the ac on all the time. . .
The A/C system is designed to be fully automatic...with the only input needed from the occupants is a temperature setting that makes them comfortable. If that means the A/C [compressor] runs all the time, every time the car is operating - that is not a problem whatsoever.
Old 07-25-17, 11:07 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The A/C system is designed to be fully automatic...with the only input needed from the occupants is a temperature setting that makes them comfortable. If that means the A/C [compressor] runs all the time, every time the car is operating - that is not a problem whatsoever.
In theory, sounds good. But if you live in a place with moderate temperatures and low humidity like southern California, sometimes air conditioned air is uncomfortable regardless of set temperature. It is nice to have un-air-conditioned fresh air coming thru the vents.occasionally. Most cars have an ac compressor on/off switch right on the dash (even other high end luxury cars!).

But the point of the thread was to get rid of the smell. One of the solutions often mentioned is to turn off the ac compressor and let it drain moisture out just before parking your car. I was merely pointing out that turning the compressor off is a little more inconvenient on the GS.
Old 07-25-17, 11:59 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts

Ill try it itsmike, ordering 2 cans

Quick Reply: Cleaning smelly AC...