RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx300 remote not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 12:44 PM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx300 remote not working

Hi Everyone. Thanks Admin to let me join this forum
I just bought a 2000 Lexus RX300, 87K miles. I have problem with the remote, can not unlock, lock with the remote. If I open the passenger door, the alarm goes off. I must turn on the ignition to turn off the alarm.
I just found another problem on the rear passenger side lock won't stay if I manually lock, power lock is OK. Battery replaced won't help.

Would anyone please help me how to fix this problem. Thank you
Joseph

Last edited by JosephP; 07-20-17 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 08:18 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Please read the sticky threads, specially, having problems, start here mega thread.

Salim
Old 07-21-17, 04:04 AM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Please read the sticky threads, specially, having problems, start here mega thread.

Salim
Hi Salim, thank you for your reply. Sorry I am very new to the forum. I can't find what sticky threads you mentioned above. There are 3 sticky, I read them but nothing relate to the problem I have.. Where to "start here mega thread"? what does it mean? Did I post in a wrong section or something? Could you please help me with the link or exactly what your advice me to do. Thanks again!
Joseph
Old 07-21-17, 06:57 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-problem.html

This should help you to narrow down the basic problem and has enough key words to help you launch the search

to be specific: door lock actuator.

When it comes to remotes the problem can be in these areas,
battery
mechanical problems with the remote buttons
pairing with the vehicle
problems after the receiver in the RX

Since you know the history the best, you have to narrow down the problem area. history: it was working and now the doors lock does not respond.

Tied to the key is the security system.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
JosephP (07-31-17)
Old 07-21-17, 04:55 PM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

Just an update.

Thank you for the link. At first I checked the battery with my Fluke 87, DCV is 3.0 volt but not sure what the current when buttons pressed, so I replaced new battery. I saw no LED, so I opened up the remote and found button had "open circuits". I used the magnifier scope to re-soldered and inspected all pads, traces. Now I have LED lit. I don't know what to do next, so I googled to find out what others would do next, I found few links, some said back door jam would not be able to reprogram, some said actuator is bad, some said may be receiver. I went through the procedure to check the receiver, reprogrammed the remote. None of those help, same problem "can not remotely lock, unlock or panic"

I found my rear passenger won't manually lock or unlock. (by hand), but power lock is OK.What is telling me here? .
I opened up the door panel, unplugged the connector to the actuator, now i can manually lock and unlock by hand. I Plugged in the connector, I can NOT manually lock but power control is OK. The switch, gears look fine to me, nothing broken nor Jammed. I search again and found this forum was hoping to get some help.

After reading one by one lines your sticky threads, I reprogrammed the remote buttons again, not working!. I don't think the actuator is bad but I ordered anyway to give it a try since it is only 14 bucks from Ebay. I have unplugged the 12volt battery to reset the computer but nothing changed. I am now reformat and re installing windows 64 bits on my laptop and install the Tech Stream.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated

Joseph
Old 07-21-17, 05:12 PM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-problem.html

history: it was working and now the doors lock does not respond.

Tied to the key is the security system.

Salim
Hi Salim
History: I don't know if remotes ever worked or not. I just bought this car for my daughter, she is going to college. The seller told me the remote just need new battery. now I called them, they said was working before. To me I don't worry about lock or unlock remotely, but for the safety for my daughter going out to the parking at night, the remote is needed.

Well, buying this car is a bad luck. The car look cleaned, no oil leak, good shape, good paint, garaged, cleaned in and out, good compression, transmission, alignment are good, had 87K miles for $4400 I thought the price is right. I test drive OK. I took it home, first day driving 40 miles distance the car was smooth but suddenly shaking on freeway, I towed home and replace ignition coil on cylinder 2. Remote did not work. The tires had 80% threads but I forgot to check the date code...was 10 yrs old Ouch!. Should I change the timing belt too? since it is 17 years
Old 07-21-17, 09:04 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephP
Well, buying this car is a bad luck. The car look cleaned, no oil leak, good shape, good paint, garaged, cleaned in and out, good compression, transmission, alignment are good, had 87K miles for $4400 I thought the price is right. I test drive OK. I took it home, first day driving 40 miles distance the car was smooth but suddenly shaking on freeway, I towed home and replace ignition coil on cylinder 2. Remote did not work. The tires had 80% threads but I forgot to check the date code...was 10 yrs old Ouch!. Should I change the timing belt too? since it is 17 years
This isn't bad luck. You buy a 17 year old car there probably will be some issues.
1) Ignition coils go bad on these cars. I have replaced several on my RX.
2) There could be something wrong with the master switch in the driver door or the switch in the pass door. I will check my car in the morning for the logic of using the remote vs manual unlocking and report back. (also, If someone tells you the remote battery is bad, go spend $5 and insure that is the only problem and not something worse.)
3) replace the tires immediately, and be happy your daughter will be driving on excellent tires.
4) Change the timing belt immediately! If you don't, you WILL have bad luck by having to replace the engine. (Did the last owner tell you they never changed the timing belt?)
5) Check the oil level. If low, add oil to get it back to normal. This likely means you have an oil burner and will need to replace the rear valve cover. (This may fall into the unlucky category) Many threads on this forum about this issue.
JosephP (07-31-17)
Old 07-21-17, 09:37 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephP
Just an update.

Thank you for the link. At first I checked the battery with my Fluke 87, DCV is 3.0 volt but not sure what the current when buttons pressed, so I replaced new battery. I saw no LED, so I opened up the remote and found button had "open circuits". I used the magnifier scope to re-soldered and inspected all pads, traces. Now I have LED lit. I don't know what to do next, so I googled to find out what others would do next, I found few links, some said back door jam would not be able to reprogram, some said actuator is bad, some said may be receiver. I went through the procedure to check the receiver, reprogrammed the remote. None of those help, same problem "can not remotely lock, unlock or panic"

I found my rear passenger won't manually lock or unlock. (by hand), but power lock is OK.What is telling me here? .
I opened up the door panel, unplugged the connector to the actuator, now i can manually lock and unlock by hand. I Plugged in the connector, I can NOT manually lock but power control is OK. The switch, gears look fine to me, nothing broken nor Jammed. I search again and found this forum was hoping to get some help.

After reading one by one lines your sticky threads, I reprogrammed the remote buttons again, not working!. I don't think the actuator is bad but I ordered anyway to give it a try since it is only 14 bucks from Ebay. I have unplugged the 12volt battery to reset the computer but nothing changed. I am now reformat and re installing windows 64 bits on my laptop and install the Tech Stream.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated

Joseph

Did you buy the vehicle on private deal?Then did you not notice this problems? Do you have 64 bit version TechStream?
Old 07-22-17, 08:40 AM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Did you buy the vehicle on private deal?Then did you not notice this problems? Do you have 64 bit version TechStream?
yes, I bought it on the private deal. I have the 64 bit TechStream, I got it on Ebay came with CD and cable, less than $40 when my Prius hybrid battery pack got few cells leaks
Old 07-22-17, 08:53 AM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
This isn't bad luck. You buy a 17 year old car there probably will be some issues.
1) Ignition coils go bad on these cars. I have replaced several on my RX.
2) There could be something wrong with the master switch in the driver door or the switch in the pass door. I will check my car in the morning for the logic of using the remote vs manual unlocking and report back. (also, If someone tells you the remote battery is bad, go spend $5 and insure that is the only problem and not something worse.)
3) replace the tires immediately, and be happy your daughter will be driving on excellent tires.
4) Change the timing belt immediately! If you don't, you WILL have bad luck by having to replace the engine. (Did the last owner tell you they never changed the timing belt?)
5) Check the oil level. If low, add oil to get it back to normal. This likely means you have an oil burner and will need to replace the rear valve cover. (This may fall into the unlucky category) Many threads on this forum about this issue.
Thank you so much
4. I got the quote for the timing belt kits from Dealer and Napa, I will open up first to see if I also need to replace the tensionner and pulley and will get the part from Napa, made in Japan. USA but much cheaper than dealer. I will have to buy big socket help to press the seals in.
5. The oil looks clean but the level is between low and high. I read from one of the link i found online saying that if the oil burn, it can be seen the black or burning sign on the muffler pipe.. I see the pipe is clean.. I will pay more attention about the oil level.
Old 07-26-17, 04:12 PM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

could anyone have any suggestion on the remote issue? I replaced the rear passenger actuator re program the remote but not working. I saw on Ebay the cheapest remote is $54 but i am not sure if the remote issue or the controller box? please help
Old 07-26-17, 05:06 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

JosephP,

I am able to manually unlock and lock the doors from both the driver front and pass front key locks as well as use the remotes.

Do all four locks fully move when your remote buttons are pushed? If so, this tells me there is likely an issue with the master controller in the drivers door. However, I don't know what part of the circuit controls the door lock logic.

Regarding the pass. rear door not being able to be manually locked/unlocked from the inside, that has to be due to the cable running from the manual button becoming decoupled from the lock actuator.

Apologies for taking a few days to report back.
Old 07-26-17, 05:08 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

JosephP,

I forgot to ask, is your hatch lock working properly?
JosephP (07-31-17)
Old 07-26-17, 05:16 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I think lock/unlock is programmabe like only driver's door or all 4 doors. Lock is like when car reaches certain speed, etc., etc.....
Old 07-27-17, 12:42 AM
JosephP
Driver School Candidate

Thank you.
1. The key open driver's door, hatch, passenger. But Alarm goes off on the passenger door

2. The remote does not work (no lock nor unlock any door)

3. Manual "LOCK" on Driver, passenger, rear driver but Not passenger rear door.

4. lock and unlock all doors, hatch OK by using power switches (driver/passenger)

5. I opened the Passenger Rear panel: if I unplug the cable to the actuator, I can lock and unlock OK, but if I plug the cable to the actuator I can manual unlock this door but I can not push the latch to lock which means the "unlock" signal always "sense".

6. I noticed today ..when i am in Drive mode, stopped the car to drop off a passenger, I heard the lock cycles "click click" when the passenger door closes, i looked on the lock, no doors lock.. (unconfirm. i will check again..next time when I drop off a passenger)..

I don't understand. please help

Last edited by JosephP; 07-27-17 at 12:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Rx300 remote not working