Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Audi RS5 First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Audi RS5 First Drive

Audi's (slightly) nastier looking new coupe has gained 0.6 inches of width and wheelbase and 2.9 inches of length but lost 132 pounds of mass along the way. Even better, the smaller 2.9-liter twin-turbo V6—the same one found in the Porsche Panamera—produces the same 450 horsepower as before, but gains a thumping 125 lb-ft of torque over the old V8, bringing the grand total of twist to 442 lb-ft. As with the previous RS5 you can't get a manual, but this time Audi swaps their signature dual-clutch transmission with an 8-speed torque converter unit from ZF. The reasoning is sound: the DSG 'box couldn't handle the engine's output, which produces more torque than the R8's mighty V10 – #bigtwistproblems.

The RS5's weight loss stems from strategic use of aluminum and the loss of the stonking V8 (ditching it for the twin-turbo V6 saved 68 pounds alone). Weight distribution is, of course, also aided by the lighter front end, and the rear trapezoidal suspension setup has been supplanted with a five-link arrangement for smoother ride and sharper handling. Interior space also benefits from the larger footprint, with rear seat legroom benefiting most from the roomier dimensions.

The roads from Toulouse, France to the tiny principality of Andorra offer contrasting extremes, from arrow-straight superslab to ultra-technical twisties – an excellent test of the RS5's performance repertoire. The updated cabin presents Audi's typically understated style, with available honeycomb top-stitched leather seats that are supportive but not so tight as to be constricting. HVAC slats form a continuous extension across the dashboard (a la Q7), and the steering wheel and shifter can be trimmed in either perforated leather or Alcantara.

The first thing you'll notice in the RS5 are the low frequency sounds, which round out the otherwise muted engine noises. Aided by a passive shaker on a metal flap that resonates the windscreen, those nearly subsonic booms and bellows are complemented in sport exhaust-equipped cars with an exhaust valve that comes alive during aggressive driving (or when the system is switched to its sportier setting). The sound isn't nearly as raucous as the V8's warble and some might feel it's too quiet. Then again, however pleasant the engine's subtle bass line is, after a bit of spirited driving you might prefer the system to be switched to normal mode so you can hear your own thoughts.

The second thing to hit you is the turbo motor's tremendous torque. The plateau starts at 1,900 rpm and doesn't drop off until 5,000 rpm; Keep the throttle buried, and the engine continues to pull strongly until peak horsepower is reached at 6,700 rpm. Though it takes a moment for boost to build at low rpm, there's a potent rush of power once the hot-vee turbos kick in that quickly shoots the digital tachometer towards redline. When equipped with the optional virtual cockpit, the display flashes yellow then red, escalating as redline is approached. Incidentally, the visible warning is one of several RS-specific indicators which include engine output, tire pressure and temperature, and g-forces. With a zero to 60 mph time of 3.7 seconds, that gearchange mambo occurs impressively fast, and the RS5 launches forward forcefully.

Thanks to a new hydraulically linked shock setup with cockpit adjustable damping, the RS5 felt markedly different depending on which mode was selected. In comfort, the ride is still somewhat firm but moderately sized potholes are filtered out. Select sport and it stiffens up to a point that you wouldn't want it on a bumpy road; marble smooth tarmac is manageable, but you'll get diminishing returns in the stiffest setting on most real world surfaces.

Though the ZF 8-speed is a tad jerky even its mildest settings, the speed of the upshifts and rev-matched downshifts do not disappoint—if anything, the gearbox seems to work better when the car is driven hard, offering an effective way to transfer power to all four wheels. The default power split is 40/60 through the Torsen differential, with up to 85 percent driven to the rear or 65 percent to the front. Opt for the sport differential feature, and power is managed at the rear using a mechanical vectoring system via two clutches. Additionally, brake vectoring is used at all four wheels to help rotate the car in corners.

On the impossibly tight switchbacks through the steep ascents of the Pyrenees mountains, the RS5 felt taut and responsive. Sure, there's a bit of the requisite understeer at corner entry, but the grip levels are high enough to encourage seriously high speeds. The RS5's linked hydraulic shock system, first seen on the RS7, offers the effect of a virtual anti-roll bar by enhancing body control as the car negotiates a corner, and the feeling is reassuringly glued-down. Perhaps even more impressive are the optional ceramic front brakes, part of the Dynamic plus package. The stoppers feature massive 400mm rotors – larger than the R8's – and never felt overtaxed despite plenty of sudden decelerations.

While the new Audi RS5 introduces a number of practical improvements, among them more space and 17 percent better fuel economy, the most significant upgrades are undoubtedly its lighter weight, refined chassis, more variable suspension, and considerable boosts in engine output. "You buy horsepower," says Audi Sport development head Stephan Reil, "but you drive torque," a sentiment that rang true as I dipped into the RS5's irresistible powerband while tackling some supremely twisted roads.

Since some of the RS5's strongest competition has embraced turbocharging to great effect—particularly the Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe and BMW M4 – we can hardly blame Audi for making the switch. Lighter, stronger, and nimbler than before, the new RS5 goes and turns like stink yet stands apart from the Benz and Bimmer crowd. At last, the RS5 doesn't feel like it sacrifices performance for its individuality within the hot rod coupé microcosm. In our eye that's a huge win, and an excellent bellwether for the expanding Audi Sport lineup.
Source
Old 07-20-17, 11:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If I were in the market for a coupe, this is the one I would choose.
Old 07-20-17, 11:09 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If I were in the market for a coupe, this is the one I would choose.
me, too. i think the previous generation, although old, was the better looking between the current and the previous.
Old 07-20-17, 01:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

yes, the new one, without the flamboyant bumper treatment, looks much cheaper than last gen
Old 07-20-17, 08:03 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm still not a fan of the front hood, and isn't it still built on a FWD platform? I'll always prefer the Audi Quattro AWD over other AWD systems, but the car is 4000-4400 lbs, way too heavy. Sounds nice though. No 6Mt, wtf? Seems very livable though, the interior is very nice.

I'm not in the market for a coupe, but if I was I'd probably pass on this. I'd like it to be a bit more aggressive looking than the S5.
Old 07-20-17, 08:59 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those are some odd looking wheels; I prefer the looks of the previous generation RS5.
Old 07-21-17, 01:47 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This would be my lottery win car. Love that rear valance.
Old 07-21-17, 04:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This would be my lottery win car. Love that rear valance.
i'm totally stealing this and making it a thread topic!
Old 07-21-17, 07:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Looks like they're using the similar "guitar string" styling to the right of the AC vents (running over the glove compartment box) as what Lexus is showing in the 2018 LS500. I had a 2010 S5 and I prefer some of the lines of that generation over this- something about the shape of the hood and the headlights has a little bit of an Infiiniti feel to me (not a bad thing as I like Infiniti designs, but Audi has always had a very unique look). This is still a great looking coupe. However, IMO this car should only be available in a 6MT...no automatics allowed!
Old 07-21-17, 08:05 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Looks like they're using the similar "guitar string" styling to the right of the AC vents (running over the glove compartment box) as what Lexus is showing in the 2018 LS500. I had a 2010 S5 and I prefer some of the lines of that generation over this- something about the shape of the hood and the headlights has a little bit of an Infiiniti feel to me (not a bad thing as I like Infiniti designs, but Audi has always had a very unique look). This is still a great looking coupe. However, IMO this car should only be available in a 6MT...no automatics allowed!
What if you don't know how to drive stick? I don't think this would be an ideal car to practice on. Have some love for the automatic-only crowd.
Old 07-21-17, 08:29 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davyjordi
What if you don't know how to drive stick? I don't think this would be an ideal car to practice on. Have some love for the automatic-only crowd.
My preference would be for cars in the "R" line to only be offered in manual. If you want auto, you get an S5. I realize I am likely in the minority here, but I'm a purist when it comes to certain cars and feel they should only be offered in stick. I think having an auto transmission in a car like this defeats the whole purpose.
Old 07-21-17, 08:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

My preference would be for cars in the "R" line to only be offered in manual. If you want auto, you get an S5. I realize I am likely in the minority here, but I'm a purist when it comes to certain cars and feel they should only be offered in stick. I think having an auto transmission in a car like this defeats the whole purpose.
why not both? It'll cater to two niche markets.
Old 07-21-17, 08:55 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davyjordi
why not both? It'll cater to two niche markets.
Because I'm an only child and don't like to share.. I don't disagree with you and that would be the smartest thing to do from Audi's perspective to drive sales. I just have an opinion (not saying it's not semi-flawed in logic) that these great sports coupes have certain lines that need a manual exclusively. The fact that the RS5 doesn't even have an option of getting a stick is a turn-off to me. I realize I'm an outlier with this thinking, that autos typically have better 0-60 and 0-100 times than stick, etc. I just feel very strongly that true sports cars should be manual.

For those who golf, and to further prove I'm an outlier, old-school and a "purist" in other areas of life, I also still carry a 2 iron instead of a hybrid. My buddies think I'm insane and I have caught my fair share of ridicule! I assume this won't be any different.
Old 07-21-17, 09:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Because I'm an only child and don't like to share.. I don't disagree with you and that would be the smartest thing to do from Audi's perspective to drive sales. I just have an opinion (not saying it's not semi-flawed in logic) that these great sports coupes have certain lines that need a manual exclusively. The fact that the RS5 doesn't even have an option of getting a stick is a turn-off to me. I realize I'm an outlier with this thinking, that autos typically have better 0-60 and 0-100 times than stick, etc. I just feel very strongly that true sports cars should be manual.

For those who golf, and to further prove I'm an outlier, old-school and a "purist" in other areas of life, I also still carry a 2 iron instead of a hybrid. My buddies think I'm insane and I have caught my fair share of ridicule! I assume this won't be any different.
No, I definitely see your opinion as a valid one. I'm just one who can't drive stick but would purchase a vehicle like that in a heartbeat if it were offered in a dc automatic and if it weren't cost prohibitive at this point in time. Maybe in the coming years when I'm not paying for two Lexuses on top of my student loans and mortgage. I'll have the Lexuses and the student loans paid off by then.
Old 07-21-17, 09:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'm a purist when it comes to certain cars and feel they should only be offered in stick. I think having an auto transmission in a car like this defeats the whole purpose.
how about the electric steering, get rid of that too? how about anti-lock brakes or the huge slew of safety features? radar cruise too prissy for you? how about manual windows, nothing says purist more than those.

sticks no longer make any sense with high powered vehicles. they're slower, less efficient, not appreciated by most. now i can totally understand you wanting a stick OPTION to be available, but having stick as the ONLY option makes no sense at all in today's market.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi RS5 First Drive