GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 gs300 aristo swap won't rev past 3000

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 08:05 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1999 gs300 aristo swap won't rev past 3000

So I've been trying to iron out the problems since I installed the motor a couple weeks ago. Now I'm stuck with two check engine codes. 21 & 31 I'm in limp mode.

i can buy a new o2 sensor but I'm stumped on this maf problem. I'm getting power to the maf plug, 5 volts with it unplugged. I don't see how the parts all worked before me installing this thing.

i can drive the car just fine but I smell gas if I leave it in park. Shift lock works. Won't rev over 3k. Help!

could it be another sensor causing this ?

thanks

Last edited by AristoJ; 07-20-17 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Wrong year
Old 07-21-17, 03:17 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AristoJ
So I've been trying to iron out the problems since I installed the motor a couple weeks ago. Now I'm stuck with two check engine codes. 21 & 31 I'm in limp mode.

i can buy a new o2 sensor but I'm stumped on this maf problem. I'm getting power to the maf plug, 5 volts with it unplugged. I don't see how the parts all worked before me installing this thing.

i can drive the car just fine but I smell gas if I leave it in park. Shift lock works. Won't rev over 3k. Help!

could it be another sensor causing this ?

thanks

how did you retrieve codes ?
Old 07-21-17, 04:45 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default limp home mode.

You may have a bad throttle position senor or a out of adjustment. You vehicle is going into fuel cut. Try checking your tps adjustment its very critical.
Old 07-21-17, 06:50 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexLova
how did you retrieve codes ?
Yes
21 o2 sensor
31 maf voltage

but I searched the harness at the ecu and they have 3 wires going into one large blue/red stripe one.
Old 07-21-17, 06:51 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by burteboy
You may have a bad throttle position senor or a out of adjustment. You vehicle is going into fuel cut. Try checking your tps adjustment its very critical.
I am not throwing this out but the motor ran fine before swapping it.
Old 07-21-17, 07:18 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

I can remove the maf and there is no change in idle
Old 07-22-17, 07:25 PM
burteboy
Driver

Default Aristo swap

Did you replace the complete engine, with throttle body , is the tps the same part #. Same amount of wires means its the same , the internal adjustment maybe different. I never did the swap but if everything was good before something is notsending the right data. Connect a fuel pressure guage and monitor it while accelerating at 4000 rpm.
Old 07-23-17, 03:56 AM
AristoJ
Rookie

Did you replace the complete engine, with throttle body , is the tps the same part #. Same amount of wires means its the same , the internal adjustment maybe different. I never did the swap but if everything was good before something is notsending the right data. Connect a fuel pressure guage and monitor it while accelerating at 4000 rpm.
yes replaced complete engine. I will try the adjustment later today and have my fingers crossed it helps
Old 07-27-17, 12:06 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by AristoJ
yes replaced complete engine. I will try the adjustment later today and have my fingers crossed it helps
Ok so I'm not getting 12v to my maf sensor. Or to my o2 sensor which I'm throwing codes for both. My wires are correct at the ecu plug e6 for the 12volts. Can I just splice in 12volts to the two wires? I see low voltage at the maf with only the ignition on and car not running. Or what would keep the b+ wire from sending 12 volts from the ecu?

thanks
Old 07-27-17, 01:54 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

So I ran 12 volts to the maf sensor close to the plug. It works now. No more cel codes and no more rev to only 3000. I'm grounding out somewhere. So I fixed it. But have to find where I'm grounding out because I'm getting 12 volts when I test right at the ecu.
Old 07-27-17, 05:20 PM
burteboy
Driver

You answer the question to your problem . dont just add power to the maf check your ecm connection at the connector. power goes to the maf and the o2 sensors from the ecm. dont jump anything make sure your power from the ecm is getting to the required sensors. Also check your ground for the efi system . do you have a wiring diagram ,if so check all your power and ground source before you start the vehicle again. Just be patient check power and ground and you should come up with something positive. good luck. Let me know what you find.
Old 07-27-17, 07:16 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

You answer the question to your problem . dont just add power to the maf check your ecm connection at the connector. power goes to the maf and the o2 sensors from the ecm. dont jump anything make sure your power from the ecm is getting to the required sensors. Also check your ground for the efi system . do you have a wiring diagram ,if so check all your power and ground source before you start the vehicle again. Just be patient check power and ground and you should come up with something positive. good luck. Let me know what you find.
I took the 12 volts from the same wire that is going to my maf plug. Black w/red stripe (b+). I Looked at the pinout and found the wire and tested it at the ecu plug. I'm getting 12 there but at the maf plug I'm only getting like .89 volts. So technically I just re ran the same wire.
Old 07-28-17, 06:18 PM
burteboy
Driver

I would want to find where im losing the voltage. Disconnect the battery ,unplug the ecm connectors and start tracing the wire with an ohm meter. that same wire send power to the O2 sensors, so pwering up the wire could be dangerous if its grounding out. It not broken if not you will get 0volts. Its probably pinched .You need to get that circuit perfect or you could short out your ecm..
Old 07-28-17, 08:07 PM
AristoJ
Rookie

I would want to find where im losing the voltage. Disconnect the battery ,unplug the ecm connectors and start tracing the wire with an ohm meter. that same wire send power to the O2 sensors, so pwering up the wire could be dangerous if its grounding out. It not broken if not you will get 0volts. Its probably pinched .You need to get that circuit perfect or you could short out your ecm..
I Agree . I'm going to start at zero. Like you said. I just wanted to find the problem. That was a monkey off my back. I will pull out the computer and track that harness back, hopefully find it.
Old 07-30-17, 04:08 PM
K3nnydie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you found out your problem because I'm having the same issues Not Revving Past 3k RPM ?

Quick Reply: 2001 gs300 aristo swap won't rev past 3000